Author Topic: dual case install/assembly  (Read 2462 times)

TURNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
dual case install/assembly
« on: Mar 10, 2005, 02:11:45 PM »
ok i have a 99 taco 2.7l, IFShit, i ordered a 4.7 gearset (for the crawlbox) and the adapters for dual cases last week and my question is this....how do i put this thing together? what i mean is marlin's main page has awesome directions for a 4.7 install, and has awesome directions for the install of an already-built crawler, but i cant seem to find directions for what im doin, which is puttin 4.7's in the front case and then puttin the whole thing together,  i realize that all the steps in the 4.7 install dont apply cause that case wont be goin back together, but i dont know which ones do and dont apply, ive searched a bunch of times and maybe im not using the right keywords or somethin but im gettin nothing and i wanna make sure this is done right since this truck is DD, thanks

turner
Turner

"Ms. Piggy" 92 FJ80, 255k

TURNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: dual case install/assembly
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2005, 05:14:50 PM »
anyone? theres gotta be someone on here who's done this the same backwards way as im tryin to do it

turner
Turner

crazymoritz97

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2005, 12:31:05 AM »
hey Turner
how's it going on the dual case set up ?? well I just got dun doing my dual case and the way I see it just like it reads You are just putting a 4.7 gear in stind of a 2.28 gear in the case but U need to  grind in side it for room 4 the gear
from moritz97
Chris g Moritz

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:24:07 AM »
Hey turner-

Sorry I never saw this post earlier.

So did you get the MC09 adapter and the front 27-4GT adapter with a 27-23 spline coupler and you are planning on keeping your chain drive drivers-side-front-output transfercase since youve still got the IFS, is this correct?

If so its very basic. You need to find a donor 1979-1995 style gear drive transfercase, specifically one that is top shifting, which would be from either 1979-1983 carb or from 1985-1988 EFI non-turbo. In your situation it doesnt matter if you get the carb top shifting case or the efi top shifting case..

You will disassemble this donor t/case and separate the low range parts from the rest of the transfercase.
- Front Reduction Housing
- Drivers side shift fork and rod
- Shift Collar (Hub)
- Cage bearing for the low speed gear
- Pilot bearing for the input gear
- 0.25" detent ball and thrust washer from the stock main shaft
- 6mm hex screw, spring, and 0.50" detent ball for the shifter (from the top)
- Both c-slips from the input and counter shaft bearings
- Both snap rings from the input and counter shaft bearings

hmmmm......... :headscratch: I think that's all the parts you need to build your first case. Then just follow the instructions on how to clearance the housing and shift fork for the 4.70:1 gear set, install the new gears in the same way the old 2.28:1 gears were installed. Make sure you grease both the pilot and the cage bearing. The MC09 adapter will already have the Double Roller bearing and the idler gear cage bearing already pressed and installed so you do not have to worry about them. Also the 4.70:1 gear set already has the bearings installed, you just need to transfer the smaller c-clips from your old gear input and counter onto the new 4.70:1 input and counter.

I should add that before you begin to assembly the reduction housing, take a file to both sides of it to make sure it will seal properly against both adapters when you finish it up and install the adapters using some Toyota Black or Super Gray silicone.

I dont know what Ive left out or what instructions you are specifically looking for, so please reply back and let me know where you are at.

Thanks in advance
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TURNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2005, 07:13:01 AM »
Hey turner-

Sorry I never saw this post earlier.

So did you get the MC09 adapter and the front 27-4GT adapter with a 27-23 spline coupler and you are planning on keeping your chain drive drivers-side-front-output transfercase since youve still got the IFS, is this correct?

If so its very basic. You need to find a donor 1979-1995 style gear drive transfercase, specifically one that is top shifting, which would be from either 1979-1983 carb or from 1985-1988 EFI non-turbo. In your situation it doesnt matter if you get the carb top shifting case or the efi top shifting case..

You will disassemble this donor t/case and separate the low range parts from the rest of the transfercase.
- Front Reduction Housing
- Drivers side shift fork and rod
- Shift Collar (Hub)
- Cage bearing for the low speed gear
- Pilot bearing for the input gear
- 0.25" detent ball and thrust washer from the stock main shaft
- 6mm hex screw, spring, and 0.50" detent ball for the shifter (from the top)
- Both c-slips from the input and counter shaft bearings
- Both snap rings from the input and counter shaft bearings

hmmmm......... :headscratch: I think that's all the parts you need to build your first case. Then just follow the instructions on how to clearance the housing and shift fork for the 4.70:1 gear set, install the new gears in the same way the old 2.28:1 gears were installed. Make sure you grease both the pilot and the cage bearing. The MC09 adapter will already have the Double Roller bearing and the idler gear cage bearing already pressed and installed so you do not have to worry about them. Also the 4.70:1 gear set already has the bearings installed, you just need to transfer the smaller c-clips from your old gear input and counter onto the new 4.70:1 input and counter.

I should add that before you begin to assembly the reduction housing, take a file to both sides of it to make sure it will seal properly against both adapters when you finish it up and install the adapters using some Toyota Black or Super Gray silicone.

I dont know what Ive left out or what instructions you are specifically looking for, so please reply back and let me know where you are at.

Thanks in advance
BigMike

hey thanks for the reply mike, i am keeping the IFS, i already have the donor case (out of an 85 EFI, top shift) my gears and MC09 are in the mail (tranny adapter still on backorder) you totally answered my ???'s about the assembly, like i said before i was just tryin to figure out what steps of the complete 4.7 install did not apply to my project since i wasnt putting the case back together, again thanks for your help, once i get my gears and MC09 and really start doin all this, ill check with you guys if i have anymore ??'s

turner
Turner

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2005, 02:03:47 PM »
Have fun and let me know how it goes :thumbs:

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TURNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
ATTN: mike, rocky, CJ, dave.....
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2005, 06:48:45 PM »
seriously guys thanks so much for all your help over the past few weeks with my order, info/help with assembly, and your honesty about my order status, last night after i got off the phone with rocky (for the 2nd time) it all just kinda clicked in my brain and im pretty sure ive figured out how this whole thing goes together, im still waitin on like 3 little (but very important) parts that i need to get my crawl box mated to the MC09 and my rocky said that my tranny adapter should be in pretty soon

i was on the phone with dave on monday goin through the parts list figuring out what everything was for and what i still needed that wasnt sent to me with my MC09, now we have it all figured out and all the need hardware is on the way to my house right now, like i said before there were a few parts that CJ forgot to send me but he was totally up front about it and got it all right in the mail to me once we figured out what i needed

again guys thanks a lot, its nice to know that when you spend a bunch of $$$$ on products from a company that they are MORE than willing to help you out with your project, you just cant find that kinda costomer service these days

turner

PS- my first name is shawn, im the retard from VA thats keeps callin you guys with stupid ass ???'s like what seems like everyday for the past few weeks
Turner

TURNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2005, 05:13:06 AM »
ok mike got another ??? for ya, i cant the the factory coupler off of the t case input, i bought a puller but it keeps sliding off the cause theres nothing for it to grip to, thanks

turner
Turner