Author Topic: A/C replacement suggestions  (Read 1466 times)

firealj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 113
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A/C replacement suggestions
« on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
Summer is around the bend and here in my part of calif get in 100's. really enjoy driving my 4runner more and more but cant see doing it with my kid when its blazing out. so i like to do it once and have it be really reliable. I ask for those who have did a swap on there 4runners what do i need to swap it out to a "newer style" 2nd gen or newer. What does it in tail and if theres kits already out there where all i have to do is go to a pick-n-pull and grab what u suggest. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

(have a 22re, Has a Old A/C now light comes on. Filled with new style Refrig along with nipples, holds pressure nothing coming out, just want to redo)

Armytaco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: A/C replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
I would look at 4crawler.com and see what kind of tech he has. I know he has some good tech for the blower when I was looking for info on my heat not working. Not sure if the blower that blows heat is the same for ac but if it is he has some easy checks for it. I know on my 85 you can take the glove box out and there is a relay and fuses for the blower on the left side of where the glove box is. You can check the relay by feeling if it clicks when the switch is on and the fuses are obvious. There is also a resistor pack up in there. Check his website before dropping alot of $$$.

Here is a good link before doing anything.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml

flyinsquirel

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »
To be honest, you're better off sticking with the old original system.  The price difference between R12 & R134 is way less than you will pay to upgrade your system to 2nd gen parts.  To get an efficient system with the newer refrigerant you will need to change out the condensor at the very least.  I went through this when I put the 5vzfe in my 84 and I'm very happy I stuck with the old parts and paid the extra $30 for R12.  You only have 1 blower motor.

What exactly do you mean by ...'nothing coming out'?  Is your blower motor working?  The resistor for the blower on the first gens is delicate and will go out, leaving you with low and high only, or some other wierd combo of speeds.  The vent ducting under the dash is notorious for leaking like a sieve on these trucks also so that barley any air comes out the vents.  I siliconed the joints together on mine and had 3 times the air coming out the vents with that alone.

If the blower motor is working, pull it out, reach in there and clean out all the garbage that has accumulated over the years.  You should find leaves, dust bunnies and a bunch of other crap stuck on the passenger side of the evap.  While your at it, make sure your drain line isn't plugged up.  Once you get all that lined out, I would get a new filter/dryer, fill it up with R12 and go enjoy some cold AC.   :beerchug:

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
i get air blowing great out. and even feel the a/c pump turn on but no cold air nothing at all. i changed the valves and put in the new ac refrig and holds Pressure but still no cold air. so what i might do is drain the a/c and try to buy r12. where do i even buy it? i live in cali so can i get it in Arizona easyer?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
You can get R12 off of ebay.

You need  EPA 609 certification

There are some online sites where you can do it online........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

vegastoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »

I know this is a couple weeks old and maybe you have it fixed already. If that's not the case... Are you vacuuming the system before you charge it up? If you have air in the system it's not going to work very well...

Also did you change the oil in the compressor? R12 and R134 run on different oils.

You should also replace the filter drier. It's very easy to do and only about $20.

I have my pickup and 4runner both running on R134 and they both work very well. Just change the oil in the compressor, new filter drier, couple new o-rings, vacuum it down, and charge it up.
87 4runner
85 pickup

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 607
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
Do not do the conversion to R134A!

If you can not find a shop with R12, Freeze 12 is just as good.
Going, going, gone

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
well i already put r134a fitting on and pumped artic freeze in to 50 lbs. hit ac light goes on,belt is moving compresser and blowers is puhin out air. heater works in winter. what else can it be?

firealj [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »
vegas toy just saw ur post i will do. never sucked out old though was empty cause didnt work and didnt put oils in