Author Topic: The Pile  (Read 3632 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
The Pile
« on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »
Alright here is the new beast. It is basically a 84 runner shell and about 30 boxes. The previous owner stripped it all the way to the body and frame and ran out of patience and decided to sell it. The motor is suposedly a 88 22r that currently has the carb and manifold attached to it. The engine and all of the boxes were stashed around the 4 runner in the garage of the P/O.

The Good with this project is the previous owner installed a trail gear 4 inch lift front and rear and also a IFS box and high steer. Front axle was rebuilt and armored with 4:88s and a true trac. Rear axle will be a V-6 and hopefully some cheap locker for now. Previous owner pulled a perfect interiour out of an 88 so I have everything to go together when I can clean out the stacks of parts and start swapping everything over to EFI.

The Bad It really does take me a half hour to try and figure out what bolts go with what part. The P/O told me all the parts are here but I am missing a power steering reservoir, all the hoses and a pump. All 4 tires are completely shot and I need differant wheels also. There is more bad but its going to be fixed.

The Ugly Take a look at the pics

Plans are to swap it to EFI and hopefully get it back on the road. Future plans are dual cases and E-lockers and 35s.

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 09:43:40 PM by Aaronm »
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: The Pile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
Nice I've been there before, bought my 85 truck a stripped shell except for axles. Started my build at the end of July and had it on the trail in the middle of August. Here's some inspirational shots for you.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Co-Pilot

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 53
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
I remember helping you put that together :rofl:

acreves

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
I've got an extra reservoir and hoses. Go ahead and grab them when you make it down here for the hood.

thebigdogg

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »
Looks like a good project!!

TheBigDogg

CCM Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 243
  • Member since Mar '06
  • brrop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
I traded my dirt bike for project like yours. Took me a year but I got her on the trail. Sounds like a good project.
get a bigger hammer!!!!!!!!

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
So the idea is this build I document everything so I wont want to build another for awhile and I will also remember all the pain it was to make this a rig into something nice. So here we go.
 This weekend I pulled out the old 4 cyl axle and swapped in the V-6 axle. This axle (v-6) is still geared to 4:10 but I do have a set of 4:88 gears ready to go in to it when I decide what the locker situation is going to be.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
It has taken me honestly 3 hours to pull all of the junk that was inside-out and attempt to organize it in some way. This weekend after I finally got everything out. I rhino lined the inside after giving the inside a good cleaning to remove a rat nest. I was very happy with the results but the wife wasn't when she walked into the garage and smelled the terrific smell. I guess this is further proof that she loves me.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
Dash is 90% installed with the EFI wiring harness installed through the dash back to the taillights and the engine harness is also in place. If you look really close at the top of the dash you will notice the brackets for something that is missing. The previous owner said he never got the inclinometer when he purchased all of the interior from the wrecking yard. I have got to either buy one or remove all of the bracket and put up with the holes in the dash. Hopefully someone will want to trade me for a SR5 gauge cluster.

acreves

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
How come the stereo I gave you isn't installed? Let's hurry it up.

Stevsie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Oct '12
  • My toy never gets stuck. It takes breaks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
Im thinkin a stereo is a little further down the list lol  8)
85 SR5 Extra Cab
TG front, 63's in rear
Runs on love and money, but mostly money...

GaJoker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »
Love the build threads!
1987 4Runner--SAS, 37" Nitto TrailGrapplers, AllPro EBrake, Marlin 1600 Clutch, 22re LC Engineering goodies, 5.29s ARB'ed front and rear w/ hi-pinion front (thanks Marlin).

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »
keep it coming Thats my old 4runners wiring!!!

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
Alright i have been slacking on the posting. Got tied up with grad classes. Anyway the progress on the efi swap continues but I had to change the throttle body to the late model straight throttle body. Also picked up a w56 with t-case.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
Also bought a MC07 and put together a crawlbox.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Put the interior together except i cant complete it until i modify the floorboard for the w-56 shifters.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »
Had a plan for the axles. Picked up a g144 4:88 third and a lockright. I already had a 4:88 geared 3rd with a lockright but it all went south when i found a pair of elockers.

Spent all of my 2 hours modifying axle housings need to tap holes but axle housings are ready. Also wheeled dealed and spent to have both 3rds set up with new bearings and new 4:88 gears.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
Front and rear axles have e-lockers installed and i replaced all of the rear outer wheel bearings this weekend. Also rotates spring perches.