Author Topic: Jeep wagoneer front springs "waggy springs"  (Read 4776 times)

Chris1980yota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Dec '12
  • []==O=[] I <3 Solid Axles
    • View Profile
Jeep wagoneer front springs "waggy springs"
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
Ok guys I'm am very new to offroading but have done a lot of research building my rig over this past year but one thing I cant find is what stock front waggy springs look like... I bought a pair of what I thought were stock waggy springs when I first bought my first gen because I heard they flex great by a buddy... Anyway I have had those springs sitting in my garage for the past year and I finally got my axle rebuilt with new brakes, hy steer, spacers, gussets, grizzly high pin 5.29 etc and when I was ready to put them in I looked at them and realized they look nothing like my buddys waggys.
His are military wrapped, look a lot softer, his are 5 pack mine are 7 and his have way less of an arc than mine, they both measure to 43" uncompressed.
So now I have everything but my front springs :maddest:
I think I bought lift springs for a wagoneer  :thumbdown:
so I'm trying to achieve a 4" lift on super flexy springs that feel nice on highway, should I look for another pair of waggys, put rears up front, or stop fing around and save for brand new ones?
help me out I want to be on the trail haha
[]==O=[]
     Chris B
Toyota Owner

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 608
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Wonsyld/Leard Built Fab
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep wagoneer front springs "waggy springs"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
I would pull the bottom leaf on each side to start with (If you think they're to tall) install them on your truck and go from there you cant really know if you like them or not until you try them out.  Don't go by just what your buddy has give them a try for yourself and if you hate them remove them & try a different setup. Happy trails  :beer:

WarSaw

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
I would pull the bottom leaf on each side to start with (If you think they're to tall) install them on your truck and go from there you cant really know if you like them or not until you try them out.  Don't go by just what your buddy has give them a try for yourself and if you hate them remove them & try a different setup. Happy trails  :beer:

x2 unless you know what truck they came off of (like F350 vs Samari) you really dont know what the spring rate will be like. Soo.. a low spring rate pack that has a lot of arch unloaded, it may settle out lower than another spring that has less arch unloaded but with a higher spring rate. Hook it up and adjust the packs to suit your needs, just get a few extra center pins as the threads tend to go bad when unbolting them

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »
I know of guys using Rancho 44044 leaf springs, lifted waggy springs.  And just subtract what you don't need to get the lift right. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

WarSaw

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »
Waggy springs are pretty decent. My dads buddy put a set on the front of his 4Runner and 63" chevies on the back. It flexes like mad and is pretty good on  the highway since he put a panhard bar on the front. He's put over 20k on the rig since the lift and is real happy with it

Bluetoyotaboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Jan '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2 set of Toyota rears combined should do the job.