Author Topic: do i need knuckle alignment tool..  (Read 5283 times)

22rMudToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '12
  • I will be mentally stonger than every opponent
    • View Profile
do i need knuckle alignment tool..
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
Rebuilding front axle...seen this tool..is it absolutely neccassary? Pretty freakin expensive IMO please someone i can get by with out it ok...
1980 long bed p/u. Spartan lockers, 4.10 gears,
s, 261 cam, Redline Weber 38, K&N air filter, 2.5in exhaust with glasspack. 300 watt amp, 2x12in kicker subs, 2 tweeters, 2 5x7 sony xplodes/

Dont Tread On Me!! Iv stood toe to toe with some of the baddest joes you'll ever see but i never back away. Knock me down and ill stand back up screamin bring it on. My mind and heart keep me goin long after my body is tired from fighting.

Special Ops bound when my time comes

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: do i need knuckle alignment tool..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
I don't mind helping out a noob. But seriously, start searching. Especially before you start threads. Many of the questions you've been asking can be answered with a quick google search. Also read the pirate4x4 Toyota FAQ, it will help you greatly. I believe it even tells you how to make a SST.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/81-pre-88-toyota-pickup-hilux/382946-how-important-straight-axle-alignment-tool.html
FAQ
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/775780-toyota-bible-faq-2-0-a.html

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
I have a brand new one for sale if you end up wanting one. To be honest I've rebuilt so many I don't use it anymore. But for the first few it was nice to have one (which is why I bought one)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »
Alright ill google it. Dont send me to detention. Im guessin you've been doin this longer than iv been born though?..still learning. I appreciate the help you've given me and ill admit i could've done a little more research...but i dont like bein called a noob. Sorry bout it and preciate the links, they helped.
s, 261 cam, Redline Weber 38, K&N air filter, 2.5in exhaust with glasspack. 300 watt amp, 2x12in kicker subs, 2 tweeters, 2 5x7 sony xplodes/

Dont Tread On Me!! Iv stood toe to toe with some of the baddest joes you'll ever see but i never back away. Knock me down and ill stand back up screamin bring it on. My mind and heart keep me goin long after my body is tired from fighting.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:42:49 AM »
Alright ill google it. Dont send me to detention. Im guessin you've been doin this longer than iv been born though?..still learning. I appreciate the help you've given me and ill admit i could've done a little more research...but i dont like bein called a noob. Sorry bout it and preciate the links, they helped.

I'm 19 bud, been doing it for 4 years.
Just giving you advice, especially if you ever decide to go over to pirate, they'll rip you a new one for asking questions without searching.

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Re: Re: do i need knuckle alignment tool..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:30:20 AM »
I'm 19 bud, been doing it for 4 years.
Just giving you advice, especially if you ever decide to go over to pirate, they'll rip you a new one for asking questions without searching.

This isn't pirate. No reason to be an Ass to him.

To the op: don't worry about being called a noob. Everybody asks a question someone finds stupid every so often. The people that jump on you were jumped on because they did the same thing. Don't let it scare you off

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
Well you been doin.it for 4 years iv only.had my truck for 2 im not worried about it though iv seen other ppl get jumped on plenty of times.

slimlaudin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Nov '12
  • lets wheel
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:52:26 AM »
No u dont NEED one.
85 runner,e lockers fr/rr 38s and still adding!!

Speak english or shut the flopp up

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
I didn't jump on him, just telling him to search more. It's a great skill that will get him far in the forum world.

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
Alright its over. Iv just about got my axle put back together now so it may be a little late for that tool.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
I've seen alot of guys just basically run a thick and a thin shim on top and bottom.  And 90% of the time, thats all you need.  I've also seen guys use feeler gauges around the axle shaft where it sticks out through the spindle.  That will tell you if its all centered up.  And just use a scale to check the resistance on the knuckle. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
I've seen alot of guys just basically run a thick and a thin shim on top and bottom.  And 90% of the time, thats all you need.  I've also seen guys use feeler gauges around the axle shaft where it sticks out through the spindle.  That will tell you if its all centered up.  And just use a scale to check the resistance on the knuckle.

More info on this..

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2

2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »
Well my axle is finished up and feels alright i had it up to about 70 and it drove fine..how would i know if its not alright? Dont want anything breakin on me

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:12:17 PM »
 My Dad has rebuilt a few of these and helped me out ALOT. So im pretty confident its ok...BUT when we were putting the hubs back on i made the gears come apart from the spring :smack: i really dont care haha i got a long way to go for this truck to be back on any trails.

The thing is the hub wouldn't lock on the driver side even when it was in one piece. Any ideas about that? Im lookin around online for an answer.

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »
Did you change the shims at all? Use a fish scale to turn the knuckles?

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »
My Dad has rebuilt a few of these and helped me out ALOT. So im pretty confident its ok...BUT when we were putting the hubs back on i made the gears come apart from the spring :smack: i really dont care haha i got a long way to go for this truck to be back on any trails.

The thing is the hub wouldn't lock on the driver side even when it was in one piece. Any ideas about that? Im lookin around online for an answer.

You might have put to much grease in it, that makes it so it won't lock.
Do you know how to get the spring back on? Which spring came off, the big one or little one? The big on is easy and obvious to put bak together, the little one is trickier.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
For the hub, if the hub gear isn't latched onto the hub dial spring, it just stays in the locked position.  Since the spring can't pull it back off the axle shaft.  So, it just stays there.   As for the other hub not engaging, try putting it together with the hub in the locked position.   :thumbs: 

As for the using feeler gauges on the axle, I've been told, that you use a feeler gauge to determine if the axle is centered in the spindle.  If it's too high or too low you need to adjust shims.  But you also have to think about the brass bushings that the axles go through.  I've only read about it, I've never done it.  It think it was one of those WhiteTrash postings from years ago. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:14:07 PM »
It was the big spring and they were kinda shot anyways from the looks. I might just go get a junkyard set

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
For the hub, if the hub gear isn't latched onto the hub dial spring, it just stays in the locked position.  Since the spring can't pull it back off the axle shaft.  So, it just stays there.   As for the other hub not engaging, try putting it together with the hub in the locked position.   :thumbs: 

As for the using feeler gauges on the axle, I've been told, that you use a feeler gauge to determine if the axle is centered in the spindle.  If it's too high or too low you need to adjust shims.  But you also have to think about the brass bushings that the axles go through.  I've only read about it, I've never done it.  It think it was one of those WhiteTrash postings from years ago.

Let me know. if u find more info

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2

2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13