Author Topic: 22re Will not idle read my log on whats been done.  (Read 4807 times)

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
22re Will not idle read my log on whats been done.
« on: Nov 23, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Ok i need the 22re gods to work with me on this,

so just got done with a complete rebuild  bored decked milled yada yada, anyways i get the motor in the truck, hooked everything up  filled it with oil first 
it started and idled fine. i didnt let it warm up. today i went out and installed the radiator and. i started the truck on its own idle.   letting it warm up  as im dumping in fresh coolant 

its been running now for 2 min on its own idle.  once it gets warmer, not super hot but warmer  while idling it just out of the blue dies. i can restart it but only with my foot on the pedal. im letting it cool down right now to see if will idle when cold, 

any ideas please im stumped

tgmaul88 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
its a 22re from a 1985 truck ran perfect before overhaul

Royota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
Clogged fuel filter or bad sending unit? Have you been able to re-create this situation? What kind of "dieing" does it do? Sputter and cough or is it like the engine siezes from a bad rebuild? That's interesting... see if you can gather as much specific information as possible. I'd start by replacing the fuel filter though that's just simple and takes 20 minutes to eliminate one possible cause.
May Bobby Long be forever immortalized in his work and deeds to the Toyota 4x4 community. Because of a select few including this wonderful man, none of us have to drive Jeeps. He will be missed.

tgmaul88 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
Brand new oem toyota fuel filter  i drained all the old gas out of the tank and put 3 or 4 gallons in the tank.,    i can start it still, and it will run strong at like 2500 and up but anything under 1000rmp it dies   i can restart it with my foot on the gas pedal
EGR is there could this be a cause? the pipe that goes to the diaphram was very hot.

tgmaul88 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
once cold truck starts again runs for a little while then shuts off

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Coolant temp sensor bad or unplugged. Afm bad or unplugged. tps also has to do with idle, as does the 02 sensor.

I just went through all of this on mine and it turned out to be vac leaks, but it wouldnt hold idle at all.

Have you checked it for codes yet?
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

tgmaul88 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
no light

tgmaul88 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
so i looked at this http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/KDXSR5/Hoses%20and%20such%20for%20Sweet%20Jane/HosesandwiresandsuchforSweetJane001.jpg
AND SEEN  that my hose were not correct, so i swapped them and truck runs fine for now,  didnt let it warm up, but the hoses could have been the fault, ill keep you posted

UndefinedTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Aug '11
  • Built by trial and mostly error
    • View Profile
Idle air control, big big possible chance..especially on early RE's (85-89)
83' Pickup "ShitBox" - more parts
92' Pickup "Doomed" - some parts

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Fuel may not be getting to the injectors due to clogged fuel tank vent lines or low fuel pressure. Do you smell fuel? Since the fuel system is closed if you smell fuel under the hood check the charcoal canister and make sure it is not bad. Also make sure the hoses to the canister are properly installed and not pushing fuel through it and into the intake.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

tgmaul88 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
Fuel may not be getting to the injectors due to clogged fuel tank vent lines or low fuel pressure. Do you smell fuel? Since the fuel system is closed if you smell fuel under the hood check the charcoal canister and make sure it is not bad. Also make sure the hoses to the canister are properly installed and not pushing fuel through it and into the intake.

i do not smell fuel,   the truck was running for only 2 min, i felt the egr pipe to manifold and it was very very hot. like it was feeding mass amounts of exhaust into the intake, ive got fuel.  it will start and run great cold, once the temp gets up it kicks in whatever it is and kills it