Author Topic: Notching  (Read 1542 times)

85yotapolo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Notching
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Gonna use 1 3/4 tubing for my Exo cage. What size hole saw I use when notching it

Royota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: Notching
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
Well if you're fitting the tube to the same size, you can use the same size, or 1/16" larger. I used the same size when I made a bumper and it looked excellent. Then I shredded it when it got dull and overheated after 40 some-odd uses so I had to use one 1/16" larger than the tube diameter. It allowed a gap for welding but didn't space too far. You have a good 1/16" leway to keep it optimal.
if you want a REAL answer and not ust "mehhh wing it" then...

http://www.medfordtools.com/tube_notching_101.html

http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

May Bobby Long be forever immortalized in his work and deeds to the Toyota 4x4 community. Because of a select few including this wonderful man, none of us have to drive Jeeps. He will be missed.

85yotapolo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Notching
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
Thanks for info

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Re: Notching
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
When I do stuff like that, I like to use the weld seam as my reference for the notches. So I can make sure each one is in plane. Also, lets see I need a piece of tube with a a notch 90 degrees or inline with the first one, Ill make sure the notcher is level and straight up and down, clamp the tube in the notcher like you are going to cut, home some tube in the first notch, and put a level on it, so you know if its in plane
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?