Author Topic: Help with my new Rig.. Toyota Doubler/Crawler Gear  (Read 5503 times)

DaveS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Help with my new Rig.. Toyota Doubler/Crawler Gear
« on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
I got a 1984 Toyota pickup. Has the marlin doubler, 4:1 crawler gear and twin sticks.
I dont know much about it (came from the jeep scene)..
So total I have 4 sticks( the actual tranny stick, the stock toyota 4wd stick, marlin 4wd/2wd stick, and the marlin hi/low stick)
The kid I got it from says that because of the doubler the stock toyota stick stays all the way down (which is the 4LO position) (it will not go to the 2hi positon, he said trying would bend a rod in the doubler)
So..my questions are...
Where should the sticks be for street driving?
Where should they be for offroad crawling..and what are my options..

Kid also says that for 4wd I need to lock the hubs..other wise ill hurt the t case..

You guys need to school me.. Id like to know the ins and out of the system. Thanks to all,.

UndefinedTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Aug '11
  • Built by trial and mostly error
    • View Profile
Do you have stock position (front case) then behind that are two sticks side by side(rear case)? Or do you have 3 single sticks..one behind each other? If thats case, you have triple cases. If you dont understand...then get some pics...we cant help you otherwise.
:)Edit...skipped the twin stick part...front case in 2h, twins all the way back.
83' Pickup "ShitBox" - more parts
92' Pickup "Doomed" - some parts

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
The kid I got it from says that because of the doubler the stock toyota stick stays all the way down (which is the 4LO position) (it will not go to the 2hi positon, he said trying would bend a rod in the doubler)
Something is not set-up right, that stick is for high/low. The 4 wd is controlled by the back stick on the passenger side, back is 4wd, forward is 2wd.

All three back.

Kid also says that for 4wd I need to lock the hubs..other wise ill hurt the t case..

I do not really understand this. To have 4wd you have to lock the hubs. You can run in 2wd with the hubs locked and will not hurt anything. Nice thing about twin sticks is you can shift in and out of 4wd/2wd on the fly. I do it all the time when I am on fireroads. I have had a twin stick in my rig for about 10 years and never had a problem doing it.

Stock stick is for high/low stock gears. High back Low forward.

DS stick is high/low 4:1 High back Low forward.

PS stick 2wd/4wd Back 4wd forward 2wd

OOPS I had the twin stick backwards, I have corrected it.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 07:18:53 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

yotawheeler85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
On my duel case setup:
Front 2.28 case:
L
N
H
Rear 5.0 case with twin stick:
L    2wd
N   4wd
H

Nothin gets hurt by running in 4wd with hubs unlocked, or hubs locked and not in 4wd. Unless you have a square dline like me and then speed is limited.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Sounds like somebody skipped the part where you need to trim the rod in the doubler and weld on the tabs. Don't know why that would affect the front case though.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Posted back up on YOTAtech and a few of the veterans over there said that my stock toyota tcase stick now controlled hi-low gear. Pulling it all the way back puts it in high gear. 4wd is controlled only by the 1 marlin stick and then to double the low range use the 2nd marlin stick.. Right??

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Did you read my post or yotawheeler85 post, we both told you how it works.

If it will not go into 2-hi something is not put together right. First, pull the front t-case shifter and make sure it is installed right. If that is not it, time to pull the cases.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You kinda answered your own question. My original post was about the stock t case stick (toyota stick). I didnt realize that it became a hi/low gear stick. I understand it now..

Next question..this may be more of a toyota based question but...
When i let off the gas and either depress the clutch or just coast with it in N  I get a chatter or a rattle. Cant pinpoint the noise while im inside the cab..The previous owner said that the 4:1 gears were "trimmed a little too much" and thats what causes them to chatter...is this possible? What else could it be? When your in gear and on the gas the noise disappears.

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Anyone have ideas on this?

yotawheeler85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have the same noise more like a loud whining when im in 4th or 5th and freeway speed and Im not on the gas. Coasting or clutch in is the only time, when on the gas it goes away. Always wondered about it but I rarely get going that fast in my rig.

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Does yours kinda sound like a big rig coasting to a down shift? Thats a good way to describe mine.. At lower speeds it a clank noise.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Does yours kinda sound like a big rig coasting to a down shift? Thats a good way to describe mine.. At lower speeds it a clank noise.

Bet you need a rear cv joint if you don't already have one.

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
I got a 1984 Toyota pickup. Has the marlin doubler, 4:1 crawler gear and twin sticks.
I dont know much about it (came from the jeep scene)..
So total I have 4 sticks( the actual tranny stick, the stock toyota 4wd stick, marlin 4wd/2wd stick, and the marlin hi/low stick)
So..my questions are...
Where should they be for offroad crawling..and what are my options..

You guys need to school me.. Id like to know the ins and out of the system. Thanks to all,.

Pix would help

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Bet you need a rear cv joint if you don't already have one.

^^^^ this is probably the cause of your vibes. Get a cv rear shaft, a single cardan shaft will not usually operate properly with a lift in the rear

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Would be nice if it was that. I just know its a beard built rear d shaft.

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer

Would be nice if it was that. I just know its a beard built rear d shaft.

So....post a pic do the shaft, particularly where the shaft comes out of the tcase. Just because someone built a shaft does not mean its the right one. I see tons of fools lift a truck, tilt the pinion up and then Install a single cardan shaft and wonder why it vibes. You need a dual cardan shaft. If you don't understand the difference, read this helped me tons

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It is a single cardan shaft.
http://www.yotatech.com/f115/daves-1984-toyo-pickup-marlin-crawler-lots-o-stuff-261257/

Page 2 has TONS of picutres.    ^^

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer

Just as we suspected, the two pinions are not in phase, so at high rpm coasting you get mad vibes. The two pinions need to be parallel for your shaft to work, you would have to lower the rear pinion to make her work properly, or get a cv shaft and get a shaft made, should only cost a hundred bucks

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Links? Writeups? Help! haha.

If that would solve my problem itd be great. I dont get vibes i can really feel..but coasting with no power to that rear shaft..I get that noise that sounds like an 18 wheeler downshifting.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Links? Writeups? Help! haha.

If that would solve my problem itd be great. I dont get vibes i can really feel..but coasting with no power to that rear shaft..I get that noise that sounds like an 18 wheeler downshifting.

Same, it definitely is in need of a cv shaft or rotate the rear pinion down a little.
Basically you're choices are you can throw some shims in there, make a shorter shackle or add a cv joint.

DaveS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So you think thats some of the noise im getting? There is the 2 distinct noises..one is going from a slow coasting in neutral (5-15 mph) into 1st or 2nd gear.. I get a noise that sounds like metal sliding on metal (like a sword going in a sheath). 2nd noise sounds like a semi down shifting when I go into neutral at higher speeds (45+)..the noise goes away as soon as I get back in gear.  :turtle:

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
The semi truck noise yes. The other noise not sure, could very well be the same thing but somewhat doubt t.