Author Topic: Actual Lift Height  (Read 3584 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Actual Lift Height
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 03:52:58 PM »
Does anybody have any idea some way to verify the exact lift I have on my 85 pickup?  Currently I am running 4.5" Superlift and I want to swap for Alcan springs in the rear and I don't know exactly what height to order.  My previous lift was a 3.5" Pro Comp and I gained more than 1" with the change.  I is only reasonable to assume that all lifts are not measured equally.  I am thinking about ordering 3.5" Alcan rears and then matching the existing ride height with an extended shackle.  Any suggestion or help?  Anybody have a stock 85 that can provide an axle to frame measurement? <Blackdiamond>
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005, 07:07:53 AM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Actual Lift Height
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 04:09:17 PM »
Does anybody have any idea some way to verify the exact lift I have on my 85 pickup? Currently I am running 4.5" Superlift and I want to swap for Alcan springs in the rear and I don't know exactly what height to order. My previous lift was a 3.5" Pro Comp and I gained more than 1" with the change. I is only reasonable to assume that all lifts are not measured equally. I am thinking about ordering 3.5" Alcan rears and then matching the existing ride height with an extended shackle. Any suggestion or help? Anybody have a stock 85 that can provide an axle to frame measurement?

I would go with the 3.5" spring and adjust with a shackle like you said.  There are no two trucks alike, even with the same springs, an identical truck will  be different than yours.  It sounds like you are on the right path.

ccannon222

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 32
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:49:11 PM »
How did the 3.5 inch Pro Comp springs and the 4.5 superlift springs ride?  I am looking for a 4 inch lift rear spring for my 85 4runner.  It's not my offroad toy, only use it for camping and mall running.  I'd like to get a spring that rides fairly nice and will bolt into the stock spring hangers.

ccannon

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:05:15 PM »
How did the 3.5 inch Pro Comp springs and the 4.5 superlift springs ride?  I am looking for a 4 inch lift rear spring for my 85 4runner.  It's not my offroad toy, only use it for camping and mall running.  I'd like to get a spring that rides fairly nice and will bolt into the stock spring hangers.

ccannon

The 4.5" superlift springs were extremely stiff.  The Pro Comp lift had blocks in the rear so it rode OK.  I would suggest a 2 inch lift spring, block and extended shackle combo.  This would keep the blocks fairly short and the longer shackle would help rotate the differential. 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

ccannon222

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:02:19 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I currently have stock 4 leaf rear springs with an add a leaf and 3 inch over stock shackle.  This setup is giving me 3.5 inchs of total lift.  I'd like to get 4.5 total.  I'm thinking about getting Downey's 3 inch lift springs and their add a leaf, then adjust with a shackle.

ccannon

Sandman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:20:19 AM »
I had a set of springs built by alcan for a 88 runner. 7 leaf spring pack(soft)  built for a 5 in lift and got a total of 4 inches of lift after the settled. He told me that it was common with the soft spring packs.

vaj70cruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Apr '05
  • marlin ultimate crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:04:50 AM »
I think pro comp 4inch lift's with rear added leaf and blocks, ride smooth...i use to had in my 85 pickup...
Fj40 V8 efi ss350 marlin ultimate crawler 290:1

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:45:48 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I currently have stock 4 leaf rear springs with an add a leaf and 3 inch over stock shackle.  This setup is giving me 3.5 inchs of total lift.  I'd like to get 4.5 total.  I'm thinking about getting Downey's 3 inch lift springs and their add a leaf, then adjust with a shackle.

ccannon

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/index.shtml

Get a set of 1" blocks for a couple of reasons:

(1) Ride stays the same
(2) Most Cost Effective
(3) You can easily predict the final ride height - springs are not all the same
(4) You won't notice a 1 inch block

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 02:45:19 PM »

This is a stupid question, but alcan spring? Do they have a website? Do they flex better than marlins?
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

ccannon222

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:02:58 PM »
Thanks for the idea on the lift block.  I thought about it, but I'd like to go to a shorter shackle than I have now.  Also, right now my stock springs are starting to bend around the add a leaf so I think it's time for a new leaf pack.  I think I'm gonna go with the Downey springs with their add a leaf and a 1 to 2 inch over stock shackle.  Then if I need more lift, I'll add a Roger Brown lift block.

thanks again

ccannon

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:49:48 PM »
In 99 I parted out an 86 that came from arizona and had lots of downey stuff on it.  For some reason I kept the rear springs, and when I started rounding up some springs recently to make my own lift I noticed that there was an odd leaf in each of the packs.  The wheels started turning and I realized I probably had a downey add a leaf in there.  Yet another of the many cool finds on that truck.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:06:34 PM »
  This is a stupid question, but alcan spring? Do they have a website? Do they flex better than marlins?

www.alcanspring.com

I have rear Alcan springs and they seem to be great, but I haven't really had a chance to really test them out.  If you want to keep the stock spring mounts then Alcan is probably the best bet for a lift spring.  They are more expensive than some other because they are built custom for your truck and needs.  I ordered mine to be as soft as possible without giving up my DD quality of life.  If you don't mind moving the spring mounts and want longer springs, Marlin's would be great I suspect.