Author Topic: air conditioning issues..  (Read 928 times)

Royota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
air conditioning issues..
« on: Aug 22, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
so recently I blew the low pressure hose in my air conditioning due to a routing flaw that has it rub against a metal flange. I got a new hose and put it back on, and recharged the system with refrigerant, and it doesn't do anything. the compressor makes a metal-on-metal sound and the unit itself hisses like it's clogged, but what could be in there after a vaccuum pumping and adding only factory recommended oil? it's holding the factory psi, but will not blow cold air, and makes weird noises now.

any thoughts?

it's been hotter than normal out lately, and I'm swedish so anything over 65 and I'm sweatin bullets. would like to get this fixed. any ideas help! thanks
May Bobby Long be forever immortalized in his work and deeds to the Toyota 4x4 community. Because of a select few including this wonderful man, none of us have to drive Jeeps. He will be missed.

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 607
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
Re: air conditioning issues..
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
Are both pressure in the HIGH and LOW side as recommended?

Usually metal to metal noise mean your compressor is not lube correctly or your clutch froze and the compressor is forcing the clutch to spin.
Going, going, gone

Royota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
high, low, and oil levels are measured to manufacturer specification. the metal-to-metal is at the compressor, and the hissing is coming from where the fan/evaporator is. the hose that goes into the unit is pressurized, but the other sides hoses are completely flat.

so I will again check the clutch. is it usually electronically actuated? the system I have is from a company called ProAir (my truck didn't come with an AC so I put it in because it's a spare out of an old work van I had) and
May Bobby Long be forever immortalized in his work and deeds to the Toyota 4x4 community. Because of a select few including this wonderful man, none of us have to drive Jeeps. He will be missed.

jl93221

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
I would start by taking the belt off and spinning it by hand it should spin easy, then turn the key on engine off and turn the ac on and check to see if the clutch is engaged, you should be able to spin it but it will be harder if that checks out put the belt back on run the engine and post what the gauges are reading with ac on

dirtybird

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »
I would start by taking the belt off and spinning it by hand it should spin easy, then turn the key on engine off and turn the ac on and check to see if the clutch is engaged, you should be able to spin it but it will be harder if that checks out put the belt back on run the engine and post what the gauges are reading with ac on

x2 need to see some pressures

dirtybird

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »
possibly compressor came apart inside (metal shavings) plugging expansion valve causing hi press blowing line and all you've done is put a new line to possibly do the same thing? maybe