Author Topic: Power steering issue  (Read 4821 times)

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Power steering issue
« on: Aug 12, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
Not sure if this belongs here, but I completed a 3.4 swap and I'm having a steering issue now. It takes all the strength I can muster to turn the wheel from side to side and when I hit a bump, the steering wheel get pretty much ripped from my hands. Is there something wrong with my power steering pump or is this normal for 36's with out hydro assist? Its so bad I almost crashed on the trail today. Where can I start trouble shooting. I'm gonna rebuild my knuckles next week.

Thanks

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering issue
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2012, 09:12:26 AM »
More info needed.  Did steer fine before the swap?  How does it work on pavement in 2HI?  Is it just off-road in 4LO?  Is your front axle locked up?  Did you tear apart the steering lines, if so you may have the lines reversed? 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
it shouldnt steer tha hard on the road just because you have 36's.  but if your front axle is locked and you are in 4wd on the trail its going to steer really hard without hydro assist.  If you are still having the same symptoms in 2wd on the road with the hubs unlocked, i would say you need a new PS pump.  of course there are alot of other variables that could affect it, but the pump would be my first guess
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
Yeah, it steered fine before the swap. It is really tight in 2 wheel drive on the pavement also. I'm open in the front.  I did tear apart the power steering lines when I did the swap. I used a 3.0 pump and the 3.4 lines.  I thought that I made sure the lines were done right.  I have cleaned out the pump lines and put in all new ATF and it seemed to pump through fine.

85runner_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Power steering issue
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
Sounds like more bleeding of the steering system is needed.

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
Sounds like more bleeding of the steering system is needed.

I'll try that after I rebuild the knuckles. Thanks.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
With or without power steering you should not have a steering issue on road with the steering wheel being ripped out of your hands on a bump in the road. I'm thinking you have some sort of bump-steer going on. As to bleeding being the issue, if you still have air bubbles in the system that would make it feel like sometimes you have power steering and sometimes you don't. I went through that with my 86 but I never drove it until I had worked out all of the air and that took a long time (couple hrs.) until I was satisfied I got it all. If you have the hoses hooked up wrong you'd find that out real fast on the return side since it is not supposed to be pressurized and the pressure would spit the hose off. I know that in all the ps units I've worked with on Toyota's you can't even hook them up backwards since the pressure side threads into the pump and box and the return side is done with only hose clamps. Don't know if that's the same on later models like you are working with though.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2012, 12:09:39 AM »
I would guess time to replace your pump or rebuild it.  I just blew out my second pump after i did my 3.4 swap.  Up until they have gone bad for me the steering has been fine.

Both times they have gone out (well on the ride home) i notice if i rev the motor up while steering it will somewhat assist the steering, but very poorly.  If i try to coast through a slower turn i feel like im gonna break the steering wheel.  Anyways, time to tear my steeeing pump off and replace it.  Again.

Good luck.

dweinberg01 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
It doesn't react harsh to a bump on the road. It is just hard to steer. On the trail is when it reacts harsh, bad kickback if I have to come off a ledge or drive into a garden at an angle.  It hasn't spit off a line so I don't think that is the issue. The steering feel is pretty constant, doesn't fluctuate under throttle power, and I can coast through corners with no issue, just have to muscle it a bit. 

I guess my concern is more on the trail should it be so hard to steer and control the wheel. I imagine being in 4wheel drive is gonna affect it but does it affect it that much?

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
It doesn't react harsh to a bump on the road. It is just hard to steer. On the trail is when it reacts harsh, bad kickback if I have to come off a ledge or drive into a garden at an angle.  It hasn't spit off a line so I don't think that is the issue. The steering feel is pretty constant, doesn't fluctuate under throttle power, and I can coast through corners with no issue, just have to muscle it a bit. 

I guess my concern is more on the trail should it be so hard to steer and control the wheel. I imagine being in 4wheel drive is gonna affect it but does it affect it that much?

on the trail it will be harder to steer, but since your front axle does not have a locker it shouldnt react as harsh as you are explaining.  i wheeled on 37's with a locked front end with stock power steering for quite a few years.  it was hard to steer, but it didnt try to rip the wheel from my hands.  i'm thinking that your power seering isnt really working at all.  probly a bad pump.  replace the pump, then put a cheap hydro assist setup on it and you will be very happy!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:33:48 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but nobody responded to my thread yet.

Is there a certain thing that causes power steering pumps to fail?  I keep mine filled to the proper levels with atf.  But after toasting the second one i would like to know.  The first one blew up after hitting rev limiter at full lock turn in the snow.  And this recent one blew up after getting high centered and working the wheel back in forth for quite a while.  Once i finally got unstuck i was struggleing to turn with the front arb enguaged and blew the seals out of the steering pump.

First thoughts is fluid or pump getting too hot from stress and blowing the seals out?  If thats the problem would adding hydro assist help the pump out?

85runner_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Power steering issue
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »

Is there a certain thing that causes power steering pumps to fail?  I keep mine filled to the proper levels with atf.  But after toasting the second one i would like to know.  The first one blew up after hitting rev limiter at full lock turn in the snow.  And this recent one blew up after getting high centered and working the wheel back in forth for quite a while.  Once i finally got unstuck i was struggleing to turn with the front arb enguaged and blew the seals out of the steering pump.

First thoughts is fluid or pump getting too hot from stress and blowing the seals out?  If thats the problem would adding hydro assist help the pump out?

Are you running a larger than stock resi and cooler? Yes assist will help  Sounds like its getting really hot. More fluid will help keep it cool.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »

Had you noticed your thread is locked.  :psss:

I keep mine filled to the proper levels with atf. 

Why ATF? Is that the recommended fluid? If so, then I'm surprised unless it's is just running too hot. High RPMs will cause excessive heat since the pump runs all the time and doesn't necessarily need a heavy load to get it hot. Maybe a bigger reservoir would help or an external cooler. If ATF is not the recommended fluid then try using what goes in there. ATF has a tendency to aerate and the tiny air bubbles can act as an abrasive and cause leaks and failures.  The best thing to do, if you have a savvy shop in your area, is to have them test it with a pressure and flow gauge. They should be able to determine if your steering box is bypassing too. Even an internal leak in the box that causes a pressure loss can build heat in the fluid.  :twocents: :beer:

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
Are you running a larger than stock resi and cooler? Yes assist will help  Sounds like its getting really hot. More fluid will help keep it cool.

It is a stock style pump resivor on a 3.4l

Had you noticed your thread is locked.  :psss:

Why ATF? Is that the recommended fluid? If so, then I'm surprised unless it's is just running too hot. High RPMs will cause excessive heat since the pump runs all the time and doesn't necessarily need a heavy load to get it hot. Maybe a bigger reservoir would help or an external cooler. If ATF is not the recommended fluid then try using what goes in there. ATF has a tendency to aerate and the tiny air bubbles can act as an abrasive and cause leaks and failures.  The best thing to do, if you have a savvy shop in your area, is to have them test it with a pressure and flow gauge. They should be able to determine if your steering box is bypassing too. Even an internal leak in the box that causes a pressure loss can build heat in the fluid.  :twocents: :beer:

Wow i did not know i locked my thread, thank you i must have accidently hit that button on my phone. I never noticed

As far as fluid it says atf on the cap.  I might try adding a cooler i dont have money for hydro assist right now, maybe i can add a cooler for cheap