Author Topic: lift  (Read 1165 times)

dloeffler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
lift
« on: Aug 07, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
so i've been working on getting this thing trail worthy for a while now. little by little its getting closer. so far i've got the 22r sealed up, 5:29's with a spool in the rear, new clutch, extended brake lines, half doors and hi-steer. the problem i've got now is the hi-steer hits the oil pan if the suspention drops because of its "lift" i got it with. so now i've got some 63" springs for the rear with ruff stuff mounts and shackles (6") and am moving the rears forward. i got 5.5" shackles for the front with all new bushings and that 2" drop. thinking i will probaby run 14" shocks up front and 12" in the rear. by doing all this do you think i will need new drive lines too. if i do should i do a double t case since i dont want to build drive shafts more than once or just go single 4.7?

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: lift
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
Yes you'll need at least a new front driveline. I'd do stock geared duals over a single 4.7 any day. It helps your front driveline angle and if you ever want to add some 4.7s you won't have to redo drivelines again.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
:welcome: If you want a quick upgrade and don't want to screw with not only having to mess with the driveshafts, the adapter, finding a case then go with the single 4.7. If you want the choice of stock gearing and a crawl option and don't mind reconfiguring the driveline go with dual stock geared which will put you just about at a single 4.7. If you even for a minute think you may want a dual with the 4.7 in the rear case then I'd do it now not later. Having the longer front driveshaft does have its advantages when going duals. Personally I'd go single 4.7.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »
That's what I have and I love it.

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »
 :cheese:
Me

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2012, 03:03:48 AM »
:welcome: If you want a quick upgrade and don't want to screw with not only having to mess with the driveshafts, the adapter, finding a case then go with the single 4.7. If you want the choice of stock gearing and a crawl option and don't mind reconfiguring the driveline go with dual stock geared which will put you just about at a single 4.7. If you even for a minute think you may want a dual with the 4.7 in the rear case then I'd do it now not later. Having the longer front driveshaft does have its advantages when going duals. Personally I'd go single 4.7.

I'd only go with a single 4.70 dual case if you have a R151F transmission; other wise, if you have a G, W, or L tranny like most do, I would go with duals with stock 21 spline 2.28 gears in both cases with a Marlin Adapter OF COURSE, and later, when you are ready and want lower speeds, then buy a 23 spline 4.70 gear set and install it in the rear case. 

The only issue with going immediately with the a 21 spline 4.70 gear set in a single case will be that YOU WILL eventually want to go with duals cases (because everyone can't stop wanting to mod his rig), and you will probably want to go with the 23 spline Marlin 4.70 gears in the rear rather than a 21 spline 4.70 set that you already bought.   

My solution was that I saved for intially and bought a good conditioned-used R151F turbo tranny and went with a single case 23 spline 4.70 gear set, and I wheeled it for a season without drive lline mods; loved it but wanted lower gearing still so then I went with a Marlin Crawler dual ultimate (23 splines in both cases since they were behind a turbo tranny), and I did't have to worry about selling or doing anything with a 21 spline 4.70 gear set because I already had a 23 spline 4.70 gear set in my single case.  I know 21 spliners work well (I am not rtying to knock them here), but I wanted max strength for a Toyota drivetrain, and I did not want my first single case mod decision to not account for later mods causing me to be wasteful later on.  That's my two cents.

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 03:13:05 AM by zembalayan »

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:50:46 AM »
wow... thats a lot of great advice! thanks a million... so here is another newbie question. ive got a buddy that had a '92 yota that got stolen and recovered. theres still some stuff left on it tho like the motor trany rear end ect. my question to you guys is weather or not the trany from a '92 v6 will mount up to my '82 22r? i was told it would by others but y'all would know better. also, what about the t-case? is it a chain drive? i know i want the front brake callipers off it and maybe the rear end and rear drive shaft but what about the tranny? and is there more i should grab?

I think the chain driven R150F trannies are kinda a dime a dozen, but if you're getting it for free, the parts hoarder in me says grab it.  I would advise you to dig deep into all of the online minitruck resources, especially the FAQs and related posts here, on Pirate4x4.com, and elsewhere.  I will say that you could use and adapt that v6 r150f tranny, but since you're spending your money you should thoroughly evaluate all of your options.  Good luck!

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
If you do end up using that v6 trans dont forget you will need to have 23 spline gears.  You will also have to buy a v6 to toyota 4cyl case adapter.