Author Topic: 84 Pickup Build: The Honey Badger  (Read 1358 times)

JCook5003

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
84 Pickup Build: The Honey Badger
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:01 AM »
Well first let me preface this with awesome site and I've learned so much even before my first post from the Toyota FAQ. This will be my first build and I'm gonna try not to ask too many idiot noob questions.

A Little about the Project:

It started with a phone call from a friend who said hey man my buddies got a wreck 83 Toyota pickup, didnt you say you wanted to build a crawler?

So $300 bucks later I dragged the pile of poop home sight unseen in the dark. That's where it got it's name, my wife said well it's a nasty little :edit:, hope this works out. Turns out the frame was swiss cheese and the body had more work than a cheap stripper in Kentucky. So the search for the right frame continued. A guy in our local wheeling club had an 84 that was really solid but he was robbing the suspension and axles. So begins the base for this build.

The Rig:

1984 Toyota Pickup, Standard Cab, 4x4, swapped in 20R, Five speed, pretty stripped.

The Plan:

Since I've never built a rig before my plan is to put the thing back together as a mild wheeler until I can acquire all the part to run something like a 4" Marlin kit. The plan is to get it drive-able with the 83 axles and some 2" OME stock length springs all around, it's not hardcore but it will get me on the trails cheap until I can upgrade further. Gonna run some 33x10.50 or so BFG KM2's maybe..........

Then once it's on the trail I'll start upgrading. I've already got an IFS width rear that will be part of the axle rebuilds that will include disks and a locker in the back and all the common :pokinit: on the front. Armor is on the list, as is a winch, which I hope to get fairly quickly. As with everything funds will be the determining factor.

Future plans include, selectable front locker, 35's, Propane, dual cases, possible flat belly.

So I hope I don't get too flamed along the way, hope I can share something on the board even though it wont be crazy hardcore, hopefully my build will fit in. I just couldn't bring myself to post it up on another forum that argues about the best IFS lift.

So I'll skip all the pictures of bolting axles back up into the factor locations as we've all seen it 100 times.

One bit of tech I'll add here is the number of spring bushings required for each spring as I had a hard time finding that info anywhere else.

A Front leaf pack requires 4 small size bushings like these:

Marlin Crawler Small Daystar Leaf Spring Bushings

Rear leaf pack requires 2 small bushings as above and 2 of the large bushings like these:

Marlin Crawler Large Daystar Leaf Spring Bushings

So here's the overall of the ugly pig the way it sits. Everything works the way it is except for the exhaust hanging off and the super pimp reverse arch front leaf springs.

Relocated the fuel tank up high and centered...

Got the rear of the frame shortened and a new crossmember welded in with some taillight slots cut, just waiting on the lights to ship.

Then ditched the nasty factory bench for some first gen 4Runner seats.

Also got the new rear spring hangers welded on. Go ahead and flame my welds.....    :gap:

JCook5003 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Re: 84 Pickup Build: The Honey Badger
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:17:15 AM »
Hopefully headed up to 4x4 Connection here in Virginia to pick up the OME springs this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:19:20 AM by JCook5003 »

JCook5003 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:34 AM »
The intent here was to keep this thing cheap and road legal, emphasis on the road legal.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, the way things go a 14 bolt rear just fell into my lap. I'm now very tempted to seek out a 60 front and run tons under this thing. Doubt the inspection man would like that very much here in the fine Commonwealth of Virginia.   :greengrin:

I'm resisting the temptation to go with the tons, I'll likely never need them and if I have to trailer it 2 or 3 hours away to get to something big enough to make it fun I doubt I'll actually use it much.

One thing I really think I might go ahead and upgrade is the suspension, the more I think of it the less and less I think the OME springs will keep me happy. I really think I would be much happier with an All-Pro or Marlin lift.

From member here who have them which height should I be looking at, 4, 5, or 6 inch? I've always like low in rigs and think I should go with the 4" kit and trim to fit whichever tires I decide on, likely 35's the first time around...advice?

Tankard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Chilkat Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
Yah man keep it low. 35" will fit with minor trimming and no lift. With an extra set of rear springs up front, the pin location for the axle will move forward some and net a little extra clearance at the fire wall. Keep what you have in the back and run it. :driving: Save that $ for the propane and duals.
"Knowledge without experience is just information." -Mark Twain