Author Topic: 14 bolt disc brake conversion kit  (Read 3676 times)

UNBREAKABLE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
14 bolt disc brake conversion kit
« on: Feb 20, 2005, 06:30:03 PM »
I seriously doubt that anyone on here has one for sale but I thought that I'd check.
That's how I roll

webilt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 167
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: 14 bolt disc brake conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2005, 07:34:22 PM »
I seriously doubt that anyone on here has one for sale but I thought that I'd check.

well i dont have one for sale,, but about a year and a half ago I bought a kit from a place called
"shakerbuilt" out of Florida (i think),, they had a good deal on the brackets,, and I got the other stuff locally!
1997 Tacoma extracab 3.4/5-speed
1973 SAS Chevy LUV on 44" Fun Country's

WEBILT

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2005, 07:50:47 PM »
PMed ya but Great Lakes Offroad has brackets for Dodge 60s, Ford 60s, and 14 bolts all with bolts for $45 a set. All the other brake parts can be had for less than $200 if you do some shopping. I always try to tell people this because many don't know, if you have a Checker, Schucks, or Kragen near by, they're motto is "we'll beat anyone's lower price by %5." I used to work there and I try to let everyone know so they can get some decent parts at pretty good prices.
"between projects"

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »
All you really need are the brackets. Check ebaid for the Great Lakes Offroad parts. Nice looking stuff if their posted pics are anything to judge by.
Rotors are the 3/4t fronts, I'm told the D44 and 10b are the same rotor. Do not know that for a fact. For more info search coloradoK5.com's bbs The topic has been discussed to death.

Forget using the Cad calipers for an E-brake. They suck and they'll make your rear brakes suck too. If the e-brake adjuster isn't perfect it won't adjust and then your service brakes suffer as well.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »
Yeah the brackets I got for my 60 from them are nice, not just some chunk of steel. Also, for all the rest of the parts, just get everything for a '75 Chevy 3/4 tom 4x4 front axle. There are other years that work but this one is jist a good number to start from.
"between projects"

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2005, 11:44:36 PM »

Take a set of Chevy 3/4 ton 8 lug D44 or 10 bolt front rotors, calipers and caliper mounting brackets.
Knock off the dust shields from the caliper mounting brackets.
Tear the 14 bolt down to the bare spindles
place something over the spindles to protect their threads, bearing surfaces, and area the oil seal mates on
remove the drum brake backing plates
remove the drums off the hubs by driving the studs out of the hubs with a brass drift and BFH
Not sure about 14 bolts but on Dana axles you install the turned rotor on the rear surface of the hub, you may have to obtain new studs with longer grips to engage both the rotor and hub
carefully slip the bare caliper mounting bracket on the spindle
reinstall the hub and rotor assy - the bracket is sandwitched between the rotor/hub and flange that the old backing plates bolted to.
Install a set of loaded calipers on the brackets and rotors, bleeder valves oriented down
hook up some flexible brake lines between the calipers and single hard brake line
have two friends align the caliper/bracket assemblies (I prefer a trailing edge orientation)
apply dry nitrogen to the brake line thereby clamping the calipers to the rotors. This in turn causes the brackets to properly align
carefully weld the steel caliper brackets to the flange and you have a disk brake conversion (8 lug) on your full floater axle for a minimal cash outlay....

Why buy or fab brackets when GM already made a sanitary set for ya? Some applications might require slight grinding of the brackets for fitment purposes.

E-mail me and I can send ya pics. Already converted a Dana 70U out of a 85 F350 and a Dana 80 out of a 98 Dodge 2500. Dana 70U is in a 86 Bronco, bolts right in except for 1 inch shorter drive shaft. Dana 80 was installed in my 95 F250. I've seen the conversion done on 14 bolt axles too. Works real fine and lasts a long time. Just like yer grandpappy's Timex.

JR 

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2005, 08:07:19 AM »
On the 14bff the existing studs work fine. Press them out, drop the drum in the recycle can, slide the rotor on where the drum was, press the studs back in (assuming they're good). Some have welded the caliper brackets to the axle housing, but then you've got to deal with getting the alignment right or yer screwed. For $60 for the bolt-on brackets it doesn't seem worth the trouble.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite