Author Topic: GM alternator in a yota  (Read 6291 times)

nor-cal yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
GM alternator in a yota
« on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
I recently purchased the Trail Gear GM alternator mount for the runner. So I was looking all around for which rigs to get the alternator from. I found this site and it pretty shows every rig that uses the 94 amp alternator. Hopefully this might help someone out.

http://www.langemachinery.com/Product.asp?xx=qdqx&BigClassName=Alternator&MidClassName=Delco&SmallClassName=12SI
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2012, 06:43:05 PM by nor-cal yota »

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Re: GM alternator in a yota
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »
I couldn't get the link to work, but why would it be important to have a 94 amp alternator?  Why not use a 100 amp?

realcamotoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Oct '11
  • I'm having rock withdrawals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
I found a alt rebuild shop local that rebuilt one for me that goes to 130 amps. have'nt installed it yet cause of motor rebuild in the process but it was only 80 bucks. :thumbs:

nor-cal yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »
Link fixed.

94 amp at the zone is 65 bones with lifetime warrenty. Plus I picked on from the pick n pull for 20 bucks, almost every Chevy up to the mid 80's have them.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
Not sure why people are so quick to back the lifetime warranty on parts store starters/alternators/water pumps/anything that can leave you stranded, but I've had their alternators and water pumps fail and would much rather buy a high quality part from the beginning.  They use the cheapest replacement parts possible.  Why not buy quality parts and rebuild yours yourself?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

nor-cal yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
True that.
I just wanted something that I can go into any auto parts store and get one when needed. That is why I got a spare from the pick n pull too.  
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 06:35:47 AM by nor-cal yota »

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
I ordered a high dollar alternator off the net.   I lasted for about a month and the charge bolt snapped off it.   Got a chepo from Autozone for a quick fix and it's been I'n the rig ever since.  That was over a year ago and it's still good.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »
What brand of alt was it?  Surely the manufacturer would warranty it?  And I mean long term, I tend to own my vehicles a long time - had my 80 since 1999, my 91 since about 02 and my 81 since 95, though it needs a LOT of help.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
I got the alt from summit.   I'd have to go look at it to find the manufacture.  They did warranty it though.  I have the new one sitting I'n a box somewhere I'n the garage. 

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »
About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a 200 amp. Mechman Alt  to go with a Mobi-Arc welder. It has performed flawlessly. Although when I bought it I think it was more like $500.00. Obviously the prices have come down.

http://www.mechmanhighoutputalternators.com/shop/products/200-amp-Slim-Fit-hybrid-Universal-Alternator.html

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
heres a alternative to a GM alternator all together, and it takes the factory toyota plug... Just another option...    :twocents:

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/electrical/batteries-more/high-output-alternator.html

MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
heres a alternative to a GM alternator all together, and it takes the factory toyota plug... Just another option...    :twocents:

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/electrical/batteries-more/high-output-alternator.html

One thing you need to consider with that alternator is that your factory whirring is meant for 60 amps.   Bumping it up to 130 amps might have some un-desirable affects. I.e. melted wiring harness.   If you go that route I'd recommend upgrading your wiring.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
Here is a link to a write up I did on putting a 160 amp PowerMaster alt. on my 3.0. Embedded in the thread is a link for the 22re and how to wire it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458156&highlight=OOP%27S
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
One thing you need to consider with that alternator is that your factory whirring is meant for 60 amps.   Bumping it up to 130 amps might have some un-desirable affects. I.e. melted wiring harness.   If you go that route I'd recommend upgrading your wiring.

I assume that could be possible, although I have been running this alternator for a few years now with no problems,,, maby i should say knock on wood,,, haha  :beerchug:
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »
I assume that could be possible, although I have been running this alternator for a few years now with no problems,,, maby i should say knock on wood,,, haha  :beerchug:

If your usage is below 60 amps than it should be fine.  When you need for worry is when you start using more than 60 amps.   The wire is meant to withstand 60 amps.   When you add all kinds of power drawing accessories like rock lights bumping stero winch ect... That's when the wire will start to heat up and could potentially cause problems.

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
If your usage is below 60 amps than it should be fine.  When you need for worry is when you start using more than 60 amps.   The wire is meant to withstand 60 amps.   When you add all kinds of power drawing accessories like rock lights bumping stero winch ect... That's when the wire will start to heat up and could potentially cause problems.

Like I said I guess that's possible,, although I do not know what my average usage is, although I have a 1000 watt amp, 2-10" subs w/ 6x9s etc, 12 rock lights,, 4-6" KC lights, roundeyes head light conversion, 9000lb Warn,, etc,, etc.... I have been know to use everything at once, although its not very often... Im not saying this is the best alternator option,, just its working good so far....  :beer:
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »
Like I said I guess that's possible,, although I do not know what my average usage is, although I have a 1000 watt amp, 2-10" subs w/ 6x9s etc, 12 rock lights,, 4-6" KC lights, roundeyes head light conversion, 9000lb Warn,, etc,, etc.... I have been know to use everything at once, although its not very often... Im not saying this is the best alternator option,, just its working good so far....  :beer:

sounds like your alternator option is good.  I would just worry about your wiring.  But hey if it works than why not run it. 

Outsane

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/cs-144-alternator-install-209649/

140 amp alternator, stock 
when my alt goes bad I'll upgrade to this bad boy

Text from link
Crywolf sent me a email asking about the CS-144 150 alternator I installed. So I figured I would write a quick post and answer his questions and give the info for anyone else curious about installing a GM 150 amp alternator.

First off the alternator I used is for allot of GM vehicles but the one I found first in the computer is for a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood. Its a 140-150 amp alternator and you can get them rebuilt for $130 or new for $160 from Oreilly or Autozone.

There are only three things to adapt or modify to install one.

1.Belt - the stock belt is a bit too long, get one that is 1-2" shorter
2.Spacing - the upper bracket is a half inch shorter so you need a couple of washers.
3.The Plug - the plug is a different style from the stock Denso plug.

On the plug you have two choices you can cut off the stock plug and put on GM style or you can strip the wires back some and piggy back the GM plug so you can swap the old Denso back as a spare.

The stock alternator light function on the dashboard will be retained as will the sense wire to preventing voltage drop in the electrical system.

The biggest gain is stock output, the OEM denso will only give you around 40 amps idle. The GM alt will give you around 90-100 amps idle, and full output around 1500rpm.

IF you do allot of winching install a "high idle" switch so you can just flip a switch and get the full 150 amps so you don't have to hold the gas pedal or if winching from outside.

EDIT ... One thing I forgot to add was about the lower mount for the alternator (the long curved bar where the adjustment bolt sides on). This mount/bar is a bit too high and you can't get the alternator to line up. All you have to do is loosen the bolt on that holds the lower mount to the engine and you can move it up or down. Once you mount the alternator then you can tighten its bolt back up to the engine block.