Author Topic: large spare tire, storage/location/mounting opinions  (Read 1771 times)

CODY C

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
large spare tire, storage/location/mounting opinions
« on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Hello all,

Im a little new to this forum, I spend alot of time on IH8MUD but now that I have recently purchased an 89 hilux I think this might be a better resource for information regarding this little truck. Anyways, Hello  :wave:

So, for my new project truck (4 door shortbox hilux) I will be running my 60 series drivetrain once I get it swapped over. Which includes 39.5" Irok's.

I would like to keep the body mostly stock though I do plan on opening up the rear wheel wells, and maybe hanneman square top front fenders at a later date.

Problem is, where and how would I locate a full sized (but maybe not width) spare tire, and still keep the functionality of the box? I'd prefer to have a full size spare and not have a baja style rack that esentially makes the box useless for space. The rear swingout idea isnt bad but makes it almost impossible to transport anything with the tailgate down. A rear rack isnt a bad idea but gives a high COG. Installing it underneath the truck... Well no point explaining that.

Any interesting suggestions, or better yet pictures?

Thanks.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
WEll you could make a hitch mount holder, so when you do need to have the tailgate down, you can remove it, make it slide farther out to clear the tailgate. If you do a exo, you could mount it on the roof.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Here is where mine is, do not even know it is there.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Sorry I don't have any pics anymore but I built a receiver mount with a swing-down and pin lock so when I needed to open the tailgate you just pull the pin and the tire can be dropped to the ground. I have pics of it on but no close ups.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Here's the best I've got on it, you can almost see it in the 1st one but these are from video. This is the one that was on my brothers truck and he was running 35's
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
Depending on where you go wheeeling it makes a difference. My 4Runner seems too light in the front when I have my 37" hanging off the receiver hitch while  going up vertical ledges. I'd go for something in or above the bed. Just my :twocents: