Author Topic: Penn State Riot and The Dignity Of It All  (Read 4444 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Penn State Riot and The Dignity Of It All
« on: Nov 11, 2011, 12:25:02 AM »
Thousands of Penn State students staged a mini-riot Wednesday evening after Penn State football Coach Joe Paterno was fired by the school's Board of Trustees.

The students assembled two blocks from campus and chanted, "We want Joe! We want Joe!" Some threw rocks and bottles. A TV news van was tipped over and its windows were kicked in and a lamppost was toppled.

About 100 police wearing wearing helmets and carrying batons arrived at the scene around midnight and used pepper spray to break up the crowd. The officers announced into megaphones that the students would be breaking the law if they did not leave the area.

Paterno, 84, was fired after reports surfaced that he didn't alert police when a graduate student came to him in 2002 and told Paterno that he had witnessed assistant coach Jerry Sandusky engaging in inappropriate behavior with a 10-year-old boy in a school shower.

Paterno announced earlier Wednesday that he would retire after finishing the season, but an outraged Board of Trustees was not satisfied and dismissed the storied coach effective immediately.

Dustin Morgan, 20, a junior from Scranton, Pa., told Bloomberg that he thought the decision was "a little harsh."

"They're just allegations," Morgan said. "A lot of people were saying Joe didn't make the right choice and morally he didn't do the right thing, but to just fire a man who's been here for 46 years and pretty much made this campus what it is now, I think is a little harsh."

James Choi, 18, a freshman from Baltimore, also thought the way Paterno was fired was unjust.

"He shouldn't have to go out this way," Choi said. "They should let him leave with his dignity."

Yeah I'm sure his dignity wasn't hurt at all by your riot! Let him leave with what dignity he had remaining? Oh hell no lets burn the place to the ground.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Penn State Riot and The Dignity Of It All
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »
I'd string up old Joe by his testicles...how could you see a boy, in an otherwise adult setting (college), in the shower with, I presume, a naked adult...and NOT TELL SOME-FREAKIN-BODY? What could possibly be wholesome in that scene? If he stood by and did nothing, he might just as well have raped the child himself.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »
he alerted someone higher up as he should have it was them that chose to keep it hush hush not joe!
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Admittedly, I have not followed this story in great detail, but what seems a bit off to me is that if I were to see something inappropriate similar to what happened while at work I wouldn't consider telling my boss as an final solution.  Has he said why he didn't go to the police directly?

:headscratch:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »
Nobody has any excuse for this that was aware of what was going on and just telling someone higher up is a cop-out. If I saw an adult having sexual relations with a minor male or female immediate action would have taken place to stop it and the police dept. would have been summoned to the scene, would not have just reported it to someone higher up in that organization.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
Nobody has any excuse for this that was aware of what was going on and just telling someone higher up is a cop-out. If I saw an adult having sexual relations with a minor male or female immediate action would have taken place to stop it and the police dept. would have been summoned to the scene, would not have just reported it to someone higher up in that organization.
AMEN
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
Why hang Joe? Hes not the one accused of a sex crime.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »

He, apparently, knew what was going on...and, in order to protect his world, he looked the other way. Not just for a week or two...for freaking years. What he was hiding isn't paddy cake...an adult was butt-effing a little 10 year old boy for crap's sake.

Who is worse...the pedophile or the ones that protect the pedophile?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
he alerted someone higher up as he should have it was them that chose to keep it hush hush not joe!

If you witnessed a murder at work would you just tell your boss?

If the child in question was yours (or you)...would you be ok with a witness telling his boss?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
I never said it was right, but what Im saying is, why arent ppl upset with the guy who supposlly did it?
It is a allegation after all.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
"Upset"? I'm pretty sure the villagers are at his castle with torches ablaze!

I'm amazed at the complacency of people...how they just want to protect the house that joe built.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:40:16 AM »
IM sure they are, but I kinda meant  on here, not one person put any blame on the PERP

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
IM sure they are, but I kinda meant  on here, not one person put any blame on the PERP

Can't speak for the op (RS)...to me the perp is on his way to hell. I am just stunned that so many people wanted to protect the Penn State system...to not rock the boat, don't lose any ad money. People, throughout history, that sat on the sidelines (no pun intended) and watched atrocity in silence are the lowest form of life.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »

You don't need to hang him, but I don't think his actions are really what Penn St. should want from someone that represents them.  Him losing his job is the right thing in my opinon.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
Thats pretty harsh, for something that was said to of happened with no trial or conviction.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2011, 05:59:37 PM »
Thats pretty harsh, for something that was said to of happened with no trial or conviction.

I don't know if you're replying to my statement, but if he reported that something happened, or at a minimum thought that something happened, then I don't think it's acceptable that he didn't report what he saw to the police when the people above him failed to act.

If the accused is found innocent, or at least never convicted, I don't think that it makes it OK that the people with concerns didn't take a more proactive approach to make sure everthing was ok.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
True, but nothing was done at the supposed time, its all hearsay as of right now

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »
Can't speak for the op (RS)...to me the perp is on his way to hell. I am just stunned that so many people wanted to protect the Penn State system...to not rock the boat, don't lose any ad money. People, throughout history, that sat on the sidelines (no pun intended) and watched atrocity in silence are the lowest form of life.

Actually I was commenting on these morons that were rioting and how stupid they looked in their defense of their beloved coach. More or less saying that the rioters killed any dignity that the coach had left by doing that. Sure he knew and he got what he deserved and we'll let the courts sorts out the charges. I allowed the thread to evolve to what it is now figuring it would go that way anyways.

Oh and only TV uses the term "perp" real cops use suspect.  :gap:

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:17:47 AM »

You don't need to hang him, but I don't think his actions are really what Penn St. should want from someone that represents them.  Him losing his job is the right thing in my opinon.

Not sure about Penn, but here in CA it is illegal not to report it if you are a school faculty, healthcare worker, etc... In fact, If, as a nurse, I dont personally report (not to my superior but to a special department law enforcement, that day) even the smallest signs of abuse noted in any patient it counts as just cause to lose your license and be personally fined if found guilty. Not to mention it is ethical common sense. There really is no valid argument in his favor at this point. Losing his job was a given, he should be fined by the state.

The crazy part is the ignorance of said rioters. What the heck is the point? I am sure it is a small portion of the school populous, but it makes everyone look incredibly ignorant.

Why does it always seem no body wants to take responsibility for their actions, and worse, no body cares that no body wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Moral confusion in an anti-intellectual society. They would rather win football games than have a co-conspirator to child molestation get what he deserves and the victim (and us all really) see true justice for a change. Sheesh

"They're just allegations," Morgan said. "A lot of people were saying Joe didn't make the right choice and morally he didn't do the right thing, but to just fire a man who's been here for 46 years and pretty much made this campus what it is now, I think is a little harsh."
So by this logic your tenure now allows you to make incredibly poor moral decisions without consequence...SAD :screwy:

If it all turns out that nothing happened and it is all allegations then consider giving him his job back. But something happened.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011, 04:32:18 AM by Seeds »
Romans 12:2

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »
Actually I was commenting on these morons that were rioting and how stupid they looked in their defense of their beloved coach. More or less saying that the rioters killed any dignity that the coach had left by doing that. Sure he knew and he got what he deserved and we'll let the courts sorts out the charges. I allowed the thread to evolve to what it is now figuring it would go that way anyways.

That's exactly why I didn't speak for you.

Ha! I wrote Perp....because in the post I was responding to, he used perp. I was going to write perv. I thought they were called " a person of interest" at this stage of the process   :dunno:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:48:56 AM »

Why does it always seem no body wants to take responsibility for their actions, and worse, no body cares that no body wants to take responsibility for their own actions.

That's a cultural powder keg of a question...

It isn't just that no one cares if other take responsibility for their actions...so many don't feel there shouldn't be any responsibility to take or negative consequences to any action...as long as they get to "express" themselves

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:59:10 AM »

on crimanil minds they use the term  "un-sub"  :dunno:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
It isn't just that no one cares if other take responsibility for their actions...so many don't feel there shouldn't be any responsibility to take or negative consequences to any action...as long as they get to "express" themselves

I was just expressing my self when the cop came along and took me away.
why is it wrong to :bumpinbutts: a horse in front of a group of nuns?
I like a challagne.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
  I was just expressing my self when the cop came along and took me away.
why is it wrong to :bumpinbutts: a horse in front of a group of nuns?
I like a challagne.

I'm so glad...I live in another state!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
Did anyone else hear the interview last night with the accused?  It was really odd to me.  He essentially admitted to taking showers with them and horsing around.  While this isn't necessarily a crime, it should be perfectly obvious that it's a horrible idea for someone in his position to be involved with.  I was also interested in his long pause when asked directly if he was attracted to underage boys (not the exact words used).  Given the circumstances, I'd think that should be the easiest question to answer.  It'll be interesting to see what facts are brought out as time goes by.

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
Did anyone else hear the interview last night with the accused?  It was really odd to me.  He essentially admitted to taking showers with them and horsing around.  While this isn't necessarily a crime, it should be perfectly obvious that it's a horrible idea for someone in his position to be involved with.  I was also interested in his long pause when asked directly if he was attracted to underage boys (not the exact words used).  Given the circumstances, I'd think that should be the easiest question to answer.  It'll be interesting to see what facts are brought out as time goes by.

Of course that is his story, He'll only admit to to the least crime or most obvious crime and the greater crimes will be manipulated by his lawyer. Just like that Michael Jackson Dr case.

Horsing around with underaged boys naked in a shower is not only a bad idea, it is a crime. Indecent exposure. Grounds for a sex offender charge and registration. Although, we are all sure more has happened. Only time will tell.

Again, people not taking responsibility for their actions and everyone else not caring whether or not justice is served. Sad really. Sad a lawyer would even think to argue it. However I am glad we have due process regardless how it ends up. Just wish people would just fess up and stop wasting everyone's time and money

And who knows, maybe thats all it really was and they are trying to pin more on him, but I am suspect.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011, 05:13:28 PM by Seeds »
Romans 12:2

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
That interview was very disturbing..... This guy is a sicko and needs to be locked up, as far as Joe goes he deserves to be punished as well! If I witnessed an act of that caliber I'd be on the stand for murdering the pervert sodomizing a 10 year old boy! WTF? How in the hell could you not protect the child and contact the police to serve the well needed justice? Those kind of people are sick in the head and dont deserve to life among you and I! Flat out SICK.
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Deleted Post - Hit the wrong buttons...
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011, 08:09:45 PM by blackdiamond »