Author Topic: 3RZ Auto to 2TR bell/R150F.. please help  (Read 2914 times)

ChildrenOfBodom

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • COB's 4Runner Timeline
3RZ Auto to 2TR bell/R150F.. please help
« on: Sep 25, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
Hey guys, 1st post. I frequent a bunch of Toyota forums. I've been planning a transmission swap and have some questions.

I’ve probably spent about 12 hours in the last two days researching transmission and 4WD conversions. I’ve learned a lot, and I’ve got a few more questions until I’m ready to undergo phase #1, collecting parts.

I have a 1999 2.7 3RZ 2WD 4Runner, auto. I've been working on it for 3 years, but I'm still young, so I've just recently started discovering engine performance and related. I want to swap out my transmission. There’s nothing wrong with it at all, I recently replaced it with one from a wrecked donor. I’ve got 33” KM2's, a supercharger, and a heavy foot. My slush box/grandma shifting A340LE just isn’t cutting it anymore. With a supercharger that will soon be boosting 8-10PSI, I can’t afford to have a “lesser” transmission.

I found out there's a lot of options for swapping transmissions on the 3RZ. Marlin Crawler's bell housing has been discontinued. I'm going to find a 2TR 2.7 bell housing, found that the 1996+ R150 input shaft length is correct for this. I've swapped my auto out before, so the swap will be the easy part. I've got a huge list of parts to buy from the dealer regarding flywheel bolts, clutch pedal, etc etc...

Here’s where I’ve been getting stuck at, the wiring. I would imagine that there would be a reverse light switch and/or a 4wd indicator switch. Each write up I've found completely skips it entirely... with an M/T ECU, the ECT power, the dash illuminated PRND2L, and other misc A/T related functions should just go dead, I'd imagine. I haven’t found a wiring FSM that was earlier than 2002, and that gets fudged by the fact that all 02 4Runners are Automatic, plus there were features like VSC, TRAC, AWD multimode transfer cases, ADD… etc. My trans has a bunch of wires going to it, but I figure there's potential of them all being automatic related.

Kinda hard to find the criteria for my swap, I need to get a good look underneath a 4Runner, specifically 1996-2000 owners (1999 SR5 preferred), with 4WD, 5-Speed manual, LEVER operated 4WD, and 5VZ-FE.

Questions:
1) I’ve been worried that my speedo and tach will stop working. I do not have ABS in my truck from the factory. Hoping that whatever is used for speedo/tach in the auto A340LE will be the same as the 96+ R150, but I'm clueless there. I have read many times on this forum that the ABS speed sensors on each axle provide the speedometer with signal to operate. On a non ABS 4Runner, what provides the speedometer with this signal? I’ve googled and searched, to no avail. I’m hoping that if it is on the transmission, If I change my auto to a manual (especially one of the same vehicle/year), will I be able to literally swap the sensor over or just plug it on in? I would imagine that the V6 trans must have provisions for those who don't have ABS if the sensor is indeed mounted there.

2) I have a 2WD, though I have planned on a 4WD conversion. I don’t want multimode, ADD, or whatever fancy bull from the newer 4Runners. If I were to install an R150F 4WD transmission with a simple lever operated stock 4Runner/Tacoma transfer case into my truck, given the proper driveshaft length and transmission mount is already accounted for, will this work? I am under the impression so far that, yes, it should work. I should be able to use the transfer case in 4 Low without a front driveshaft, essentially making the truck into 2 Low (allowing the front output shaft or flange, not sure which our trucks have, to spin freely while allowing the rear wheels to spin without a center differential lock). Please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the transfer case does not have any wires running to it, that it is purely mechanical and works whether or not the car is running. Are my conclusions correct, or will I have to run in 2Hi until the rest of the components on the 4WD spectrum have been installed? The only other way I can think of is a separate harness that simply has all of the connections, that plugs either into the ECU or engine harness.

3) I assume that I can likely just run a 3RZ/W59 clutch. I will probably hit up LC Engineering for a pressure plate/clutch, lightweight flywheel (maybe... thinking about all the torque I would lose), etc. I guess with a 2TR bell, it would fit just fine. Can anyone confirm? I have heard of many conversions with this trans and motor, so I would imagine the spline is identical.

Hopefully I may be able to get a V6 4x4 donor for the rest of the swap (Very abundant, easy to find them at auction yards). After all, the only steps after the trans/transfer case go in will be finding a front diff/driveshaft, front axles, spindles, and whatever else misc... wiring (I think all 4Runners are already prewired, as I have the 4WD module already and all of the 4WD-related fuses are hot)

Please tell me of anything else you know that I might encounter on the way so I don’t end up without my truck for a long time, haha.

To those of you who have taken the time to read this and/or reply, thank you. I really appreciate any help from anyone who replies.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Re: 3RZ Auto to 2TR bell/R150F.. please help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
I don't see anything about a gear change. Did I miss that part of your build? Won't really matter what trans. you have if you don't change the diff gears it will still be a slug so to speak. Change your gears, 4.88's if not 5.29's.
The A340 trans is not an unreliable trans at all or weak, it's found behind Turbo Supra's and V8 Lexus' they are kinda fast cars.
 Since I've never done a 2wd to 4wd swap I would be vary of spending more money on a 2wd trans that I can't use for my 4wd conversion.
With an auto ECM you will throw a code if the trans is no longer there, so you'll fail inspections. Marlin touches on this in the 3RZ swap thread.
Buy a wrecked complete donor truck and then you'll have everything you need, that's pretty much how I approached my swap.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

ChildrenOfBodom [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • COB's 4Runner Timeline
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
My truck has 4.56's, my bad. I was originally planning 4.88's, but I wanted to get the closest to stock ratio on 33"s. It worked great. The trans I am planning to use is a 4WD transmission with transfer case, the R150F. I'm really hoping that someone can tell me whether or not I can run a transfer case in 4LO with only the rear drive shaft hooked up. Did automatic Supras and Lexus V8's actually come with this transmission? I've already creamed one of mine, but I guess that's my fault :P Haha, either way, I think manuals are just so much better. Can't stand not having a clutch!

I have been searching far and wide for a wrecked 4x4 2.7 I could use for a swap, they're impossible to find. I found one last night that disappeared today when I wanted to buy it. Might pick up a wrecked black 99 4x4 SR5 Auto with 190k, and just use all of the 4WD and other misc parts other than the trans. I can always sell the doors, interior, auto trans, whatever's left.. hopefully make some money back. Truck looks clean in the photos, totaled due to front end collision. Seats are good, doors and hatch, sunroof, wheels... 

Hardest part will be finding a 2.7 4x4 M/T ECU. I can deal with the rest if I could just find that. It's the rarest 4Runner ECU that I can think of.

I talked to a friend and he's going to send me what the transmission wiring consists of:

Clutch pedal (cruise control)
Clutch Start Cancel switch
Reverse Light switch
ECU wiring (pinouts, table required)

He's going to send me pictures, instructions, and an ECU pinout table.

Now, I need to find the wiring for 4WD stuff. Sounds like more ECU wires.

I apologize for not including the details on my 4Runner:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/61636-cobs-4runner-timeline-pic-heavy.html
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045612

Did you swap a 3RZ into your truck, R.DesJardin? I would like to hear about it. Do you have a link to a swap thread?

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2011, 06:20:09 AM »
Yes,
They really used A340's in Supra's and Lexus cars, and don't forget all the Jeepspeed XJ's with built/stroked 4.0's that run the same trans, I mean it survives the Baja 1000 man!
Really interesting you can't find a wrecked setup, to snag parts from. I actually found my trans and t-case from a 4Runner from one guy and the motor in a complete Taco that I got all the rest of the parts from from another. There were several but this was the best deal.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

ChildrenOfBodom [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • COB's 4Runner Timeline
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
I wrote out the huge list of parts and stuff... It's really not worth it if you're buying them separately.

I'm on the lookout for anything wrecked with what I need. None of the 4Runners on Copart.com in my area have anything right now.

I've got cash in hand ready for the wrecked truck of my dreams, haha, so I just need to find it. Do you have any suggestions as to where to look? Craigslist and eBay are dry from what I can find.

Thanks man, that much closer. Hope that all I have to buy other than the wreck itself is a clutch and an ECU.

brandt88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »
Hey if your interested i have a brand new 2tr bellhousing i would like to get rid of let me know