Author Topic: Gun Safes???  (Read 6126 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Safes???
« Reply #30 on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
Yep, the fire rating is the expected time it takes for the fore department to arrive and put the fire out, not the house burning to the ground.  If your goal is to survive the house burning to the ground, the safe needs to be housed in it own fire resistant chamber layered in sheetrock and heat shielding on all sides, or in its own bunker in the ground.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
I was told a big part of it is where the safe is placed.  Outer walls burn faster and cooler, while inner walls tend to burn hotter and longer.  Mine lives along an outer wall, but I hope I never need to test out its fire rating  :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #32 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
How hot does it get at floor level?    below floor level? (hole in slab,   hole in floor for crawlspace,   in basement ?         

You would want water proof for anything below floor level.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15