Author Topic: ARB vs Electric Locker  (Read 9469 times)

90slvpup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ARB vs Electric Locker
« on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:59:21 PM »
I have stock 4cyl 3rds and i want to upgrade to high pinion and v6 thirds with 5.29's and a switchable locker front and rear.  What is the best choice for dependability and strength the Electric Or ARB.  Also which one is easier to install and less cost in the long run??
Thanks for the help

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Re: ARB vs Electric Locker
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »
I have researched this to death whe I was trying to decide. And honestly I just got my arb 4.88 thirds installed recently and have yet to try them. But what I have found is that the electric install requires the axle housing to be shaved on the right side where the shift motor resides. The procedure looks fairly easy to accomplish, its all right here:

http://molmed.umassmed.edu/~kdb/locker/locker.html

I know that toyota sells complete assembled units with a warranty, however I dont think they offer 5.29 gears (4.88 lowest)
The arb requires an external air source ( I opted for the arb compressor to maintain warranty and simplicity) I also looked to see any reliability problems with the arb vs electric. Seems like the arb is rock solid as long as the install is done correctly and the air supply does not exceed 120 psi ( i think) The electric motor unit looks to be slightly vulnerable hanging off the side of the third member however a few fab companies out there sell mini skidplates for this. I did not install my lockers, I bought Marlins already setup units since I dont have the patience or tools for such an endeavor. But in a nutshell I think they are pretty much dead even with the exception that the electric can be manually overidden in the event of electrical failure, the arb cannot. On various forums I read how some guys have had ARB units for atleast five years with lots of abuse with no problems. If air line damage is your concearn, they also offer stainless lines. But the ARB makes a very cool psssssssst!! sound when the blowoff valve actuates when you hit the switch!
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

90slvpup [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
Thanks For the help!!!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2005, 06:04:06 PM »
I've run both the ARB and the electric. I now run the e locker, converted to cable. As far as strength, I have to agree, they are about even. I like the simplicity of the elocker, and the ability to lock or unlock in the event of an electrical problem. The only down fall I see is the housing mod, which is fairly easy, and they don't lock and unlock as fast as the ARB. The position of the motor isn't really a problem, the design is pretty tough.
The ARB works faster, and is strong, but if you develop an internal air leak, you have to pull the whole third and tear everything apart to fix it. Happened to my last rig. I ran my ARB off of my on board air compressor and it worked very well. Check up on the actual operating pressure. I think it is as low as 25psi or so. The lower the pressure that still will operate the locker the better. You will be less likely to do internal damage.l(blow a seal)
Either are a good choice. I bought my high pinion elocker complete and new from Toyota, through Marlin and it was under 1k. You can find them in the wrecking yards sometimes for much cheaper, and the rear is much easier to find used.

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:02:44 PM »
marlin just raised their 5.29 e-lockers 100 bucks  :rivers:
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2005, 01:45:28 AM »
If you have not decided yet, I must recommend the e-locker! I have having a nightmare with my brand new arb. Two blown seals in a row, not fun when this is happening after only a few miles of driving. My first impressions of this system are very poor. Electric seems simple, the housing mod looks much easier than constantly pulling your third for a seal change!    :twocents:

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2005, 07:53:11 PM »
Anyone familiar with OX lockers.  They look cool, cable operated, not air lines or wires, nice and simple.  They whole things are made from billet steel, carrier and all, no castings (not that castings are weak).  Wish they'd make 'em for Toyota axles...
Welders Hold the World Together!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2005, 08:22:58 PM »
Yeah when i was into the jeep thing (got over that quickly) I was gonna go with a dana 44 ox locker. Never heard any opinions but it definately looks like a stout setup.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »
The toy e-lockers are very easy to convert to cable, and you can recoup some money by selling the locker motors on ebay or ....

bkg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:17:49 PM »
I love my ARB's.  Never had a problem with the sets in my white truck, the rear on the 4Runner is leaking.  No big deal, just needs a seal.

can't tell from the original post, but it almost sounds like there's a goal of HP in the rear..  don't do it - it won't last.

90slvpup [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:24:41 PM »
yeah i just got some ARbs for front and rear it is gunna be sweet!!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:38:05 PM »
I cant get mine to stop leaking, seals are fine.  Marlins shop even tore it apart and it seems to be the collar that houses the seals is cocked or something.  Im having quite the headache with my rear. HP front arb works great

eyezlee

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 57
  • Member since Feb '05
  • mmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:30:35 AM »
I have 4cyl arb's front and rear.  No major problems, just a leaky o-ring early on in the rear.  Replaced that and no problems since.  4 years and 17 thousand miles on them.  I love 'em.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005, 02:57:30 PM by eyezlee »
'87 '60

'96 '80

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »
The toy e-lockers are very easy to convert to cable, and you can recoup some money by selling the locker motors on ebay or ....

Yea? that's cool.  I always liked the idea of cable operation.  Seems like it would be fool proof, ya know, the simplest way is often the best, and it doesn't get any simpler than cable operated.  No wires or compressors, just less things to screw up.
Welders Hold the World Together!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:33:37 PM »
Yea? that's cool. I always liked the idea of cable operation. Seems like it would be fool proof, ya know, the simplest way is often the best, and it doesn't get any simpler than cable operated. No wires or compressors, just less things to screw up.
Wot he said

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:04:35 PM »
so far the only prob has been they don't actuate quite as fast as air, but no big deal.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 10:10:53 AM »
My rear E-Locker has been working out great. No air lines, no annoying air pump. Wiring wasn't any harder than wiring in a pump, relay, and switch for an ARB.

At the Hammers I never had any trouble with it not engaging or disengaging. When ever I wanted to turn it on, it came right on. The way I drive is I'll keep Crawling until I have a lack of traction, but I won't stop, I'll keep Crawling and play with the steering some, and then if I can't get it, then I'l throw the Locker switch. So, since my rear tires are turning, it engages immediately and away I go.

Also, I've engaged my locker on the freeway so far at 65 MPH now. The Locker is completely safe to engage at nearly any speed since it will not engage unless it's able to -- which means its safe to. I checked my friends 3rd gen 4Runner's manual with e-locker and I couldn't find anything about a minimum engagement speed.

If you try to engage an air locker at +20, you might be screwed. I know this isn't important, but hey it's a 'vs.' thread :gap:

I've seen ARB air lines get condensation while wheeling in the snow and they quit working. Also air lines can leak or tear on rocks and such.. So if you go ARB, make sure you protect the Air Lines..
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 11:44:24 AM »
I heard a similar thing about freezing ARB lines. Since Im moving to AK im a little nervous about it, a few guys I spoke to up there said they do freeze up, especially in the neg temps (buuuuurrrr!)    Anyway if I could do it all over again I would do e-locker, seems to be less trouble prone.

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 08:39:36 AM »
Where are you guys gettin the cable conversion for the E-locker ??   :psss:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 07:19:30 AM »
Home built. Downey does make a kit, but it's over a$100 bucks for each axle.
Do a search for cable locker pics on here.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 11:50:18 AM »
My truck is a daily driver, but not a long distance every day driver, so I opted for a detroit rear and trutrac front (to reduce stress on birfields); however, I have been around several different people running ARBs and I am not impressed.

Most of the people that I know have had serious problems that we way beyond air leaks.  At least two of them had the ARB come apart, one was sent an incomplete locker from ARB, told it was complete and then had no locker that year in Moab.  One guy has killed a couple of them in his 1/2 Surburban with BIG tires, but he drives very nice and easy so I can't blame the drivetrain size completely.  I work with a guy that took his ARB apart and had it drilled for double the fasteners to hold the case together because he didn't want it to split apart.

Some people get them installed and they work perfectly, but from what I have seen the failures tend to be on the rear axles of daily drivers, the front axles don't seem to have the same problems since they are rarely used.

Ignoring reliability issues, I would choose to have a limited slip when unlocked because it would be possible to go much farther on the trail without fulling locking the differentials and greatly increasing the stress in the drivetrain.

I thought that there was a new locker that was similar in design to the ARB but it was electric (Powertrax?) and didn't require any special housings.

Simple is always more reliable.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 12:11:58 PM »
Elocker + cables sounds sweet although I love my ARB's. Might be a bit cheaper too.
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 02:07:16 PM »
Personally, I love my ARB's. Wouldn't trade them for the world (well....maybe). Installation was straight forward, and they work like a charm. The only problem I had was that a relay fizzled, and the compressor started running even with the switch off. Replaced the Relay, and no problems since. I didn't like the modifications that were needed to do the E-locker install, and I got a screaming deal on the ARB's, :nana: so the choice was simple for me. I don't think you could go wrong with either set-up. The other nice thing about the ARB is that if you plumb it right, you can have on-board air fairly easily, although most folks I know don't recommend using the compressor for tires...although it would work in a pinch.

Erik :beerchug:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »

GO CABLE !

Most reliable on the market
easiest install

OX locker
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 03:33:39 PM »

GO CABLE !

Most reliable on the market
easiest install

OX locker

Does OX Locker have a toy application?  Don't think they do.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »
i have an Elocker on my daily driver, its SLOW! to engage. i have an arb in the front of my wheeler and wouldnt use anything else. id use an Elocker in the rear, since you can lock it up at the begining of the trail and forget about it...too slow for the front!
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

VWRunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2005, 06:46:35 PM »
I just retrofitted an e-locker in the rear of my '88 4Runner and it engages really fast.  I just push the button and it clicks in immediately.  If the splines on the sliding collar are not aligned perfectly and it doesn't click right off the bat, I just creep forward (or backward) while slightly turning and it clicks right into place.