Author Topic: 6.7 Power Stroke VS. 6.7 Cummins  (Read 7476 times)

86toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
6.7 Power Stroke VS. 6.7 Cummins
« on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »
I will be purchasing a new 2011 or 2012 truck soon. Either a f550 or Ram 5500 chassis cab. I just cant decide what i want because both have pros and cons. What do you guys think and why!?  :beer:
T86OTA

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Re: 6.7 Power Stroke VS. 6.7 Cummins
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
I love my 2007.5 Dodge. Its of the 2500 variety but has the 6.7 cummins.

Pros: Plenty of power
        Exhaust brake
        Auto(But has full selection of gears)
        20 mpg highway

Cons: SMOG crap.
         EGR
         DPF
You'll never take me alive

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:35:22 AM »
dodge all the way, hands down.  I havn't heard anything good about ford in a long time.  with the 7.3, they had tranny problems, with the 6.0 it was nothing but turbo, egr, egt,  and other motor problems, and with the 6.7, turbo problems again.  i've never heard anything but good about the dodge.  You can't go wrong with a cummins.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
Ford hands down, haha. The F550 are bad ass. Ford beat the crap out of the dodge on top gear the other day.

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Ford hands down, haha. The F550 are bad ass. Ford beat the crap out of the dodge on top gear the other day.

ill have to search that top gear! Fords have been shitty for the past couple years esp the 6.0's and recently the 6.4's. side by side the new powerstroke has more torque and horsepower. the only thing that sucks is dodge has the better warranty. everything now days is going to have a emissions so thats at the bottom of my worries. Especially living in Montana where there's no smog test. thanks for the opinions...keep them coming
T86OTA

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
i would look into reliability before i started looking at hp and torque numbers.  just my  :twocents:
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
I have neither of them...so, take it for what it's worth.

I wouldn't own a Ram truck (unless someone gave it to me with the stipulation that I not trade it in)...the Cummins engine is a different story.

I would love to have the new Ford. BUT...all the techno-gizmos are unproven.

I would by a 2007 Ford (pre most of the smog crap) and put a common rail in it.

I saw an article a generation of Fords ago...here in Az, a guy got around smog stuff by buying a gas truck and putting a 5.9 engine in it. I'm presuming the EPA would like to get him, but, he met the letter of the law (in Az) by swapping in an engine with the same smog equipment requirements...both engines came from the factory requiring only a cat.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

86toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
I have neither of them...so, take it for what it's worth.

I wouldn't own a Ram truck (unless someone gave it to me with the stipulation that I not trade it in)...the Cummins engine is a different story.

I would love to have the new Ford. BUT...all the techno-gizmos are unproven.

I would by a 2007 Ford (pre most of the smog crap) and put a common rail in it.

I saw an article a generation of Fords ago...here in Az, a guy got around smog stuff by buying a gas truck and putting a 5.9 engine in it. I'm presuming the EPA would like to get him, but, he met the letter of the law (in Az) by swapping in an engine with the same smog equipment requirements...both engines came from the factory requiring only a cat.

2007's had problems to. I have heard nothing but good on the new 6.7s. with both the 6.0's 6.4's and the new 7.3's the problems for the most part were recognized with in the first year of being out. I also want to buy new because of the warranty. And the good part about living in montana is that i can buy an aftermarket exhaust and programmer that gets rid of all emisssions and ups the gas mileage and power. Cummins i know are reliable. they have been proven but go look under a 2011 or 2012 truck. dodge has the same emissions now as the new fords. Im set on purchasing a new 2011 or 2012 truck and the choice is between ford and dodge. I appreciate the feed back. keep it coming
T86OTA

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
With as much money as you will spend on either truck, spend more and get an extended warranty.  Modern car parts aren't cheap, and diesel parts are worse.  It's been said that you can't take your truck to the ford dealer and get out for less than $500.  I should know, I work at one.  The 6.7 hasn't been out long enough in my opinion to tell if it will be good or not.  It does appear easier to service, as compared to the 6.4/6.0 (external fuel system, there "appears" to be more room under the hood).  Abnormaltoy, the 6.0 came out in 2003, and it has been a turd ever since.  They are still updating service bulletins and rolling out reflashes for it here in 2011.  Also, the 6.7 is a ford designed and built engine, they did not buy it from navistar like the 6.0/6.4.  Another thought, if you add anything to the truck that somehow attaches to both the frame and the body (wiring,etc), make it detachable/connectable.  The tech that has to pull the body to service your truck will thank you.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
2007's had problems to.

2007 is the last year, thus the newest truck, with no dpf. This will give a new-ish truck for the engine swap.

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Gamera

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
dodge all the way, hands down.  I havn't heard anything good about ford in a long time.  with the 7.3, they had tranny problems, with the 6.0 it was nothing but turbo, egr, egt,  and other motor problems, and with the 6.7, turbo problems again.  i've never heard anything but good about the dodge.  You can't go wrong with a cummins.
u just dissed my 7.3 International
 I’m out to get u =]
13 years so far on 7.3 International  F350
 I have ran over a Mercedes and a Toyota, totaled them both, I’m still driving around =]

go 6.7 Cummins if new
International no longer makes diesel Eng. for ford, Ford made diesel is junk
International was good just fords mods to Eng. bad

scoutrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
 I would go Ford but thats just cause I am a ford guy except for the 4runner.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011, 06:58:28 AM by scoutrunner »

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »
Ford owns Cummins so its all good!!  I would go Ford but thats just cause I am a ford guy except for the 4runner.

Uh...not so much.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)