Author Topic: spark plugs  (Read 2636 times)

Michael Wollinsky

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 137
  • Member since Jul '11
  • rocks arent as hard to clean as mud
    • View Profile
spark plugs
« on: Jul 26, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
Well had a great day I decided to change my spark plugs the first one was OK to get out but the second one was difficult until it snapped off so all day I've been trying to get it out and I still haven't been able to would you think it would be easier tear the motor down?
Hand built and driving daily

Tyler82toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Re: spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
probally not what motor is this? did you try soaking the plugs with some pb blaster?

1stgenboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »
One needs to allow an aluminum head to cool before trying to pull plugs.  Otherwise the spark plug might become galled.  This is where the aluminum sticks to the steel of the spark plug almost like it is welded.  likely it will come out once the head is cold with the threads stuck to the plug.  If so, you can use a heli-coil if you have access to the hole.

1stgenboy

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
When you put it all back in use anti sieze so itll be easier to pull next time
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Michael Wollinsky [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2011, 06:26:29 AM »
It's a 22re I let it cool all night got up to change them yea the idiot who had it before me didn't use anti sieze

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »
Well had a great day I decided to change my spark plugs the first one was OK to get out but the second one was difficult until it snapped off so all day I've been trying to get it out and I still haven't been able to would you think it would be easier tear the motor down?

If you mean the bolt-like area that socket slides over on the plug broke free from the threaded section, I don't think you have much of a choice other than pulling the head.

If this is your first 22r-e rig, you should be able to have the head off in about 2-3hours depending on how much time you spend labeling/mapping out the parts as you remove them.  Here is a link to a '93 FSM.  If you haven't worked on Toyota's before, never pry anything off.  Toyota's tend to have hidden bolts, so if the part doesn't come off easily, you have likely missed a bolt or two.  Two main ones on the 22re is the bolt that bolts the timing cover to the head(under the pool of oil in front of the cam gear).  The other is a long allen headed bolt that goes through the intake manifold to the head.  It doesn't look like it should, but it does.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Michael Wollinsky [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the info yea I'm gonna try to some how lable all the vac hoses so I don't cross them but I'm gonna start Monday cause I'm going on vacation today

RockRescue

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
i had this happen to me before   i just got a big easy out  and was able to get the threaded portion out .

Michael Wollinsky [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
Tried broke every tool :rivers: we tried to put on the easy out there's a guy down the road from me that machines engines gonna take the head off I mite as well put a new set off guides for the timing belt on to

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
If it is a 22re you have a timing chain, might as well and replace the chain and get a new timing chain kit, and not just the plastic guides. 

If you have the 3.0, you should pull both heads, have them both serviced, as well as replace a number of other items.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod