Author Topic: steering problems  (Read 1638 times)

LostIt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • Howdy
    • View Profile
steering problems
« on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:57:51 AM »
I'm in the process of finishing up my buggy, and I've run into a problem with my steering setup.  Currently I'm running a homebuilt crossover sytem using mostly stock parts and cut and welded steering arms. This was only a temporary measure to get the buggy mobile and to save some cash.  Its been fine for some light wheeling, but with several trips planned in the oncoming months, I decided it was time to put on hysteer.  Now this is where my problem arises.  It looks like if I try to run hysteer, my tierod is going to contact the bottom pulley on the engine when the suspension compresses.  The engine sits pretty low, and is moved back some.  Here are some pics

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album109?page=2

So am I screwed?  If so, what are my options for a beefed up crossover steering system, or does such a thing even exist?  And I guess even if I can fit the hysteer, hydro assist is probally out of the question.  Oh yeah, my box is moved as far forward as it can go.  I may be able to swap in a different type of steering box, but I don't believe time will allow it unless I skip some trips, so I would rather make the curent setup work if possible. 

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
Re: steering problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:14:28 PM »
I'd find out the length of every ones High steer maybe you'll get lucky and clear by an inch. I know that there is a company that makes High crossover rear steer which might solve your problem but I can't remember thier name but I'll search for it. The buggy looks sweet got any full pics of it  :beerchug:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

yoderboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -45
  • Male Posts: 103
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:40:14 PM »
kong makes the rear crossover but he might hit the rear of his oilpan if hes hittin the pulley now :twocents:
buggy in progress

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2005, 06:15:34 PM »
Rear crossover steering at www.4x4labs.com
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2005, 06:21:05 PM »
Bump stops  :dunno:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

LostIt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • Howdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:57:22 PM »
rear crossover will definitely eat the oil pan.  now maybe if there was a hysteer arm that put the tie rod in front of the drag link, that may work.  Or if there was a way to drop the tierod behind and below the diff like a FJ80 does (I have a hi-pinion diff).  Does anyone produce a standard crossover system for yota other than the double arm AP sells?  Seems pretty expensive for one arm.  Marlin wouldn't have something tucked away would he?  The bumpstops are allready pretty long, and I think if I make them long enough to stop interference, they're gonna be touching the frame at ride height. 

Most of my pics are in the this photo album.  haven't had it out much, just mostly local wheeling and playing.  Hopefully that will change in a few weeks

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/chris_feller