Author Topic: Government Shutdown - Any impact on you?  (Read 4346 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Government Shutdown - Any impact on you?
« on: Apr 08, 2011, 02:47:27 PM »
I just got a call from my boss (today's my day off) and I've been chosen to be a critical employee that will be allowed to continue working if the government shuts down.  My branch has about 20 employees and I'll be one of six that would continue working.  After the first week it's possible that I'll be one of four.  Both my boss and his boss were not deemed critical and will not be allowed to work.  We're not sure at this point if we would get paid next week even though the end of the pay period is today.

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown - Any impact on you?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »
Really and truly...almost the entire Fed could shut down and not affect me.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
Other than US troops not getting paid it really doesn't affect me.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

sparkys83yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 320
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
Other than US troops not getting paid it really doesn't affect me.
that's bull sh.... the troops are the first ones that should get paid!
83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Really and truly...almost the entire Fed could shut down and not affect me.
Ditto that. I'll probably have to wait longer for my meager federal tax refund, but that's about it, and that is not a big deal.

Other than stating the obvious, which is that military personnel should get paid and incompetent congresspersons should not... something else strikes me as dead wrong. Closing all the national parks. Those are public lands, how can you be denied access simply because there won't be a federal nanny there to monitor your every move? Obviously we don't want squatters erecting tent cities on our parklands, but it just seems downright un-American to lock up public land. I imagine it would be considered trespassing if you tried to enter. Horsefeathers!!!
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
Ditto that. I'll probably have to wait longer for my meager federal tax refund, but that's about it, and that is not a big deal.

Other than stating the obvious, which is that military personnel should get paid and incompetent congresspersons should not... something else strikes me as dead wrong. Closing all the national parks. Those are public lands, how can you be denied access simply because there won't be a federal nanny there to monitor your every move? Obviously we don't want squatters erecting tent cities on our parklands, but it just seems downright un-American to lock up public land. I imagine it would be considered trespassing if you tried to enter. Horsefeathers!!!

Someday we should talk. I don't even think there should be "National" parks.

The whole thing about this is...this is the budget that should have been passed last year! This budget is for fiscal year 2011 and it should have been in place by the end of September 2010. Gotta love them Democrats.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
no direct impact for me.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
My brother is in the Airforce...... he's no longer getting a paycheck, and they won't let him come home (he's stationed in MT).  :snare:

He told mom today [paraphrased], "it's pretty stupid for our government to train thousands of rednecks how to kill people, then piss them off by cutting off their paychecks."

What made me sad was he was calling mom for some help because he can't buy groceries  :shakehead:

I could rant and rave but that'll drive the whole thread :offtopic: so I'll refrain :doh:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »
Someday we should talk. I don't even think there should be "National" parks.

The whole thing about this is...this is the budget that should have been passed last year! This budget is for fiscal year 2011 and it should have been in place by the end of September 2010. Gotta love them Democrats.

First we need to do is stop coddling the rest of the world, no more US forigen aid! No military, no food, no water, no nothing. Take care of this country first.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
First we need to do is stop coddling the rest of the world, no more US forigen aid! No military, no food, no water, no nothing. Take care of this country first.

Werd. Lets stop giving countries that hate us money.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
The military people will get paid eventually as will I, but nobody will be getting paid during the shutdown.  This is why it's important to have some savings.  We've been saving for when my wife is off work with the baby so thankfully we have a reasonable sum sitting in savings in case the cash flow takes a break.

I don't understand why the military wouldn't be getting paid currently, nothing changes until tonight at midnight.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »

Yup.

What also pisses me off is people spend all this effort and money sending it to this organization to help XXXXX but God forbid they help people in our own country first. The trend the celebreties started with adopting kids from other parts of the world is sick. I have friends who spent most of their childhood in the foster care system yet people here would rather adopt a kid from Cambodia or Africa somewhere.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
the military is getting paid just half thought. which is not that much as an E-3.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
will not impact me at all. no pay for the military is nuts. all the dems should have to go fill in for them dering
the shut down.
to not pay them as there out in the field? just wow.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »

The whole situation is ridiculous for all the obvious reasons, but to me it's just like shutting down all but 140ish miles of off-road trails to motorized vehicles, and gating off public lands.  How can they patrol these areas with no staff?  Makes me wonder how much will get looted and vandalized in their absence?  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
I just read they hit a deal (for another week).

C'mon 2012...and I hope the Republicans can manage to make it there without shooting themselves in the foot!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
I just read they hit a deal (for another week).

C'mon 2012...and I hope the Republicans can manage to make it there without shooting themselves in the foot!
Approved in the Senate... still needs to pass the house. 

As to 2012, yessir, and I hope hope hope they can front some strong candidates.  :crossed:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »
Approved in the Senate... still needs to pass the house. 

As to 2012, yessir, and I hope hope hope they can front some strong candidates.  :crossed:

I'll run! :wave: as soon as I get out, should be before 2012 with good behaver  :crossed:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »
the military is getting paid just half thought. which is not that much as an E-3.

Would the military been paid half all the way through?  Why did the half paycheck come in before the deadline?

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2011, 11:44:16 PM »
Would the military been paid half all the way through?  Why did the half paycheck come in before the deadline?
probably to cover themselves just in case they had a shutdown

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
it's really stupid how they expect the military to fight with everything they have and give them an I O U untill they're done wiping each others a$$es.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2011, 05:57:28 AM »
Didn't affect me at all monetarily but sure pissed me off that those in the military wouldn't be getting paid. The wonderful state of California goes through this same deal every year too, it's really cool when my wife gets an I.O.U. from them :sux:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2011, 06:13:16 AM »
there was no half paycheck..... it would have kicked in o nthe 15th, as we get payed on the first and the 15th....

we actually got direction from our commander that said. it sucks, but we still have a war going on, so we gotta deal with it, but he hopes it gets better.....

hopefully, there is no backlash from their agreement, and we actually get paid next friday, as usual
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

CrankyCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »
No affect on me
1984 Toyota Pickup: Dual Ultimate with 4.7's in rear, R10 FROR Crossmember, FROR Twin Stick, Aussie Front with 4.88's and 30 Spline Longfield's, Rear Detroit with 4.88's, Custom ORS front and rear bumpers, ORS sliders and shock towers, Alcan 4" springs, 35" Cooper Discoverer MT's, Bed bobbed 12", and Soft Top.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/customerprojects.html - Robert's 1984 Pickup

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/orsbbq08.html