Author Topic: 92 toyota Rat truck with a 22R! (that's Right, it has a carb)  (Read 23902 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
No kidding get on it man!  We need more...  Try the pcv valve theorey yet?

Don't let the small stuff keep you down.  Remember: "Just keep breathing..."  (JKL, master surfer, The Big One, spongebob squarepants)
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gear Jammin-Dog Chasin-Yota Man [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Feb '11
  • Man is saved by grace, through faith, not by works
    • View Profile
Ok you two, here's some pics
1975 FJ-55 Landcruiser: pretty much stock with 31 x9.50x15 TSL's
1992 Extended Cab Pickup: 22r, weber carb, 51" RUF, F-150 rears, Aussie Front, Welded Rear, etc.
Build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=78730

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Got the bed bolted on finally,
dog box built and in, headache rack and lights all hooked up
1992 Extended Cab Pickup: 22r, weber carb, 51" RUF, F-150 rears, Aussie Front, Welded Rear, etc.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
The truck lost over a quart of oil on its 40 mile test run.  Something wasnt right.

Tore into it and found the problem (and I hope that is the only seal like this)

Someone tightened the oil pan a little bit too tight :crazy:

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Also modified the intake manifold with the dremel and sandpaper to allow for a much cleaner and open flow for fuel. 

The stock manifold had a metal joint separating the carb ports, I cut it out and opened up the manifold for better breathing and fuel efficiency.  Could really notice a diffence in performance too

Ursus21

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Dat's mo' betta' Now if we can just get you use a camera that focuses the images all the time...

09roramo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
you are the man. i was wondering if porting the intake manifold was possible with basic tools and if it was worth it. i was on the fence of buying a offenhauser for a while but im just gonna port it like you did. what bit did you use on the dremel? and how long did that take u? and did you do port the manifold on the engine? because i don't wanna drain my coolant again.
'84 toyota pickup 4x4
22r, 38 weber, 261C cam, headers
4" all pro springs, 5.5" shackles
4:88 gears with e-locker in rear

2001 Dbl cab tacoma 4wd
5 speed conversion
Pavement pounder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
I pulled the manifold to port it.  It makes a lot of shavings and dust, and it is easier to cut and sand it when off the motor. 
I used a thin (1/8") round and tall cutting stone on the dremel (it was the only bit I had that would work, and I didn't want to buy another one).  I just worked it slowly cutting away what I needed on the manifold.
It took me about 30 minutes start to finish with cleaning the manifold out.  Probably even less actually.

I cleaned up the intake and smoothed it out with some emry cloth after the dremel.

Good Luck!  I wouldn't waste my money on a offenhauser unless you really need to spend some money.  Yeah, I am sure they really work well, but, you can do similar things to a stock manifold.

People always are trying to get more power out of the 22r.  I understand, but it is only like 90 or 100 horse, if you do a few mods like headers, a weber carb, maybe a cam, etc, you get a bit more power, but it is still just a little motor.  I think of all the stuff I did to my truck,  the best mod for power was gears.  I would do 5:29's if I could do it over-right now I have 4:88's.  Second to that, the weber and a header are nice for a bit more grunt and throttle response, and honestly, that is all I would probably ever do in addition to gears. 

Ursus21

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Gear-jammin-chasin-yota-man was nice enough to give me a call the other day to go for a ride in his "project" truck. We had a good time. Things got off to a great start when the rainbow appeared as we were headed up the mountain.

The road had basically been washed out by this creek but that didn't slow us down much. The front bumper is right around 3.5 to 4 feet from the ground on the level to give y'all an idea of how deep this hole was.

Came out the other side no worse for wear. Got to love Toyota's!

The view at the end of the road was worth whatever it took to get there. On a side note G-J-C-Y-M introduced me to some of his off road'n friends. Nice bunch of guys and I believe a good time was had by all.