Author Topic: HREW vs. DOM options  (Read 18236 times)

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
HREW vs. DOM options
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has encountered square or rectangle tube that is DOM.  I'm pretty sure its mostly all HREW.  The real issue is whether anyone has used square  or rectangle tube as media for an interior cage/cargo retaining system.  On my FJ60 there are some bends that I would like to see but don't think are possible for the dash area.  With angled cuts and fish plates I believe these angles could be achieved.  Otherwise using round tube would be excessively in the way and not a good use of the available space.  Ya I know nice one piece bends in tube with limited connections are by far the stronger way to go, but does the square or rectangle pose more of a threat than not having anything at all?  Let the comments roll!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Re: HREW vs. DOM options
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
Square tubing is stronger then round.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Burl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:06:06 PM »
I was thinking since my bumpers on the 60 are rectangle tube an interior rectangle or square tube cage/cargo kit would look nice and clean.  FJ60's are kinda squarish and boxy anyways.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
Well this has been talked about before, but wheather its dom or hrew, design and quality welding is what really matters.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »
Square tubing is stronger then round.
how do you figure?
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
How do I figure? Its been proven.

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »
How do I figure? Its been proven.
Where, when and how?
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:23:32 AM »
Its 30% more stronger, because its got about that much more in steel, bigger cross section as well

2 inch round with a .125 wall deflects .79 inches.
The bending stress is 55382 psi
2 inch square with .125 wall deflects .46 inches
The bending stress is 32623 psi
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011, 08:26:47 AM by junya92toy »

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
explain to me how the bending stress is measured.  if i am reading that right, it only takes 32623 psi to bend square tube and it takes 55382 psi to bend round tube, which would mean that it takes less psi to bend square tube of the same wall thickness as round tube.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
explain to me how the bending stress is measured.  if i am reading that right, it only takes 32623 psi to bend square tube and it takes 55382 psi to bend round tube, which would mean that it takes less psi to bend square tube of the same wall thickness as round tube.

I am with you, just waiting for j to do his google thing.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:56:49 PM »
Why dont you search for yourself, square is stronger.
I forgot to add  those numbers were with a 3 feet long piece and a 500 pound load placed on them.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011, 08:08:18 PM by junya92toy »

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:40:55 PM »
Why dont you search for yourself, square is stronger.

dont be backing out now....... anytime someone starts a thread about this stuff, you jump in right away with your info.  so i figured that since you know so much about this subject, that you could explain it for us
97 4runner Limited

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
I did, its got a bigger cross section, due to 30% more steel compared to round, if you say 1.5inch x.125 wall.  And I showed square deflects less under the same load.

spoolnaround

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

Info that I have come across,

source: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5499&highlight=square+round

A round tube will be structuraly the same around the entire circumfrence. So if you hit a round tube at any point it's going to be the same (relitively) strength the whole way around. With square tube you basicly have 4 really strong points that lose some of their strength as you work twords the center of the tube. So in the eventuallity (or probability) of a roll over if Murphy (Law) is anywhere nearby the contact is going to take place at the weakest point in your design or material.

One of the reasons why people don't build chassis with square tube is the strength to weight ratio compared to round tube. A 1.75" round tube is going to be significantly lighter and stronger then a 1.75" square tube. The 1.75" round will almost slide into a 1.75" square. The corners add a lot of weight and little for strength.

The other issue I foresee is bending the square tubing. Even a good quality draw style bender is going to have some warpage or collapsing at the inside of the bend point. This then makes your bend the weakest point of the cage and prone to collapse. And if your cutting and welding to make bends your weld or the material around your weld will then become the weak point. And for the record I am not picking on your welds at all. For all I know your the best welder in the world it's just at that point the metal around your weld becomes the issue!

One last question/comment... Do they even make DOM square tubing? All the square tubing I've used or seen has been a CREW/HREW style tubing... Big ugly welds down the inside of the tube. Not exactly ideal for a cage expecially on a heavy rig like an International!

With that being said I have seen entire buggies made out of square tubing... But at the same time I've seen buggies made out of SCH40, SCH80, and others out of HREW. At that point it's not a matter of when the cage fails but how bad it will be when it does!

Paul G.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
Info that I have come across,

source: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5499&highlight=square+round

A round tube will be structuraly the same around the entire circumfrence. So if you hit a round tube at any point it's going to be the same (relitively) strength the whole way around. With square tube you basicly have 4 really strong points that lose some of their strength as you work twords the center of the tube. So in the eventuallity (or probability) of a roll over if Murphy (Law) is anywhere nearby the contact is going to take place at the weakest point in your design or material.

One of the reasons why people don't build chassis with square tube is the strength to weight ratio compared to round tube. A 1.75" round tube is going to be significantly lighter and stronger then a 1.75" square tube. The 1.75" round will almost slide into a 1.75" square. The corners add a lot of weight and little for strength.

The other issue I foresee is bending the square tubing. Even a good quality draw style bender is going to have some warpage or collapsing at the inside of the bend point. This then makes your bend the weakest point of the cage and prone to collapse. And if your cutting and welding to make bends your weld or the material around your weld will then become the weak point. And for the record I am not picking on your welds at all. For all I know your the best welder in the world it's just at that point the metal around your weld becomes the issue!

One last question/comment... Do they even make DOM square tubing? All the square tubing I've used or seen has been a CREW/HREW style tubing... Big ugly welds down the inside of the tube. Not exactly ideal for a cage expecially on a heavy rig like an International!

With that being said I have seen entire buggies made out of square tubing... But at the same time I've seen buggies made out of SCH40, SCH80, and others out of HREW. At that point it's not a matter of when the cage fails but how bad it will be when it does!

Paul G.

Alot of that doesnt make sense to me, in the real world. How is it I can smack a piece of  round tube on something, and bend or dent it, whereas same thickness sq tube, will just bounce off and hurt my hand?

Ive also read sq is stronger than round, more surface area to spread the load on.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »
look at yotamans cage, yes it's stainless but it's rectangular tube everywhere. and no they don't make square DOM. Now IMO i think both square/ rectangular and round would be strong enough for your application, it just comes down to which you think will look better and which you want to work with

Burl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
I tried to search for "yotaman" to find pics, could you copy paste the page link.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
oh sorry it's yodaman. his site is http://www.yodaman.net/ he has some pics of his truck on there, 2nd gen

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »
Alot of that doesnt make sense to me, in the real world. How is it I can smack a piece of  round tube on something, and bend or dent it, whereas same thickness sq tube, will just bounce off and hurt my hand?

Ive also read sq is stronger than round, more surface area to spread the load on.

You know why the square just bounces and not bends? You are trying to bend 2 pieces of flat bar on the sides basicaly. Think of stand on a pop can, you put a dent in the side and the whole thing smashes down. Now do that with square and the load is at the corners to start with, so no smash,

Burl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
I'm fine with using square and rectangle tube on the outside as bumpers and such.  Yodaman's pics of the square tube exo look good but i'm looking more for an interior cage.  The IH8MUD forums generally lead to round being more popular, the square and rectangle applications seem to be case specific and have worked so far but this kinda leads into the realm of "normalization of error" meaning it works and hasn't had problems yet but there is potential for failure more so than round DOM.  I'm thinking I may have to sacrifice some space and just go round.  Thanks for the opinions and info.  Keep this thread going if you wish.

Thanks

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »
I tried to search for "yotaman" to find pics, could you copy paste the page link.

You'll never take me alive

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
well since everyone is on the subject. Does anbody actually know where to find round DOM in central california?

ive tried valley iron and got looked at like i was stupid, called a few other places around town and found nothing.

i know there's a couple places online where you can order it and i know you can get it in sacramento, but what about fresno?

Twisted

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Male Posts: 287
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »
well since everyone is on the subject. Does anbody actually know where to find round DOM in central california?

ive tried valley iron and got looked at like i was stupid, called a few other places around town and found nothing.

i know there's a couple places online where you can order it and i know you can get it in sacramento, but what about fresno?

You can get it from valley iron, but they have a minimum order quantity. Dont quote me but I believe its 100'.

Burl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »
I have heard that it can be purchased near Visailia somewhere.  That's where I'll be getting it.  My father in law builds tube chassis for sprint cars that's where he gets his stuff.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
Youre wasting your money

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
you can get DOM from Tube Service Co.  www.tubeservice.com 
Let's put a smile on that face!

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
Rustbucket you can get dom at valley iron. But i beleave you have to order so much at a time. Thats why i just went with hrew when i did my cage.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
Youre wasting your money
who is wasting there money?
97 4runner Limited

spoolnaround

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
Youre wasting your money

?? wow, from what I have read here in just this thread I will ignore any and all tech you spew.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
O ya why is that? DOM is way over kill, for a offroad truck. Its far cheaper to just use ERW