Author Topic: Manual Transmission Flush.........  (Read 8379 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Manual Transmission Flush.........
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:39:09 AM »
Would it be worthwhile to flush the tranny with some cheap gear oil before putting in some better fluid.

Either it's been awhile since the fluid has been changed, or the tranny is finally broken-in after a rebuild.

Then run the cheap gear oil for 500-1000 miles, to get out as particles as possible (the original drain, then the 2nd drain)..

My thinking is that the brass particles from the synchros won't be caught by the magnet, but the double flush will get more of them out.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Transmission Flush.........
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:01:24 AM »
I've heard ATF can be used as a detergent but don't run it under load or for very long, more like put it on jack stands and run it through all the gears then drain run regular gear oil drain then top off with the good stuff.  Done it with big trannys like clarks and NP.

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
I've heard ATF can be used as a detergent but don't run it under load or for very long, more like put it on jack stands and run it through all the gears then drain run regular gear oil drain then top off with the good stuff.  Done it with big trannys like clarks and NP.

thats a horrible idea. just use cheaper gear lube

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
yes, I'd run cheap gear oil to do the flush.

93REDCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
yes, I'd run cheap gear oil to do the flush.

X2

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Boo take my turtle point,  ATF if the best way to flush a trans or engine that has had it oil turn to peanut butter.  Must not have done enough mechanics to know what I'm talking about.

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
Boo take my turtle point,  ATF if the best way to flush a trans or engine that has had it oil turn to peanut butter.  Must not have done enough mechanics to know what I'm talking about.

:rivers:. im an auto 160 certified mechanic. no where does it say ATF is the best way to flush a manual trans or engine.

emsvitil [OP]

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
Some oil is always left behind, so I wouldn't want ATF in there............

Cheap gear oil is what to use, but is it worth the trouble?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
i just use the cheapest 30/40w motor oil i can find, drive it down the block once and put new gear oil in it
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
That's why the cheap stuff reflush then use the good stuff.  ATF is a really good detergent.  I've picked several caterpillars out of fields that have been sitting for 30 plus years and have successfully refurbished all of them using ATF to remove all old final drive, transmission and engine fluids.  This method is one of the very best ways to remove unwanted material from any application just don't drive down the highway with it in whatever you are trying to clean out.  That would result in a catastrophic failure in the bearings just do like I posted earlier.  I also am a certified mechanic and work with certified mechanics who use this method daily.  Just because it's not a big piece of machinery doesn't mean it won't work.  If any doubt in this well established method send a pm and I'll show this process on an old differential or something to prove how well this works.  IDK I'll take as many negative points as you want, but we will see if anyone want to test my credentials.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 07:14:17 PM by Burl »

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
Never heard of using atf in a tranny, but it makes sense if it's sludgy.  I worked on a fleet of boats for years and you have to extract the oil through a very small tube coming out of the pan.  Some idiot inevitably submerges the rear of the boat, filling the engine with water, and the only way to thin it down enough to suck it out the tube is by running atf in it.  Usually takes a couple flushes to get the bad crap out, then 1 or 2 more to get the remainder of the atf out.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil [OP]

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
No sludge that I know of.

I just know that you never can get all the fluid out, so the remaining fluid will still have particles in it.

The cheap oil will then dilute the particles, and when you drain that out, you'll have gotten more particles out.

If the original draining comes out fairly clean, I wouldn't bother with the cheap oil and second draining.   

However if there's lots of brass (synchros), the second draining will get more of it out.

If there's lots of iron (gears,bearings), you have other problems...............

Anybody know how big the wear particles are?   

You could always filter the oil, and run it thru a couple of times if you're really cheap............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
I still say stick w/ cheap gear oil.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:14:29 PM »
:rivers:. im an auto 160 certified mechanic. no where does it say ATF is the best way to flush a manual trans or engine.

Lol you're ASE certed who gives a :pokinit: it doesnt mean diddly anymore.. ATF has been widely known to be used as a detergent to clean out engines and other things. Just because your little book says its not right or doesnt say anything about it doesnt mean it doesnt work or is bad. You just have to know what the hell you are doing.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:47:27 PM »
Bout time somebody got with the program on the ATF thanks, good copy with the marine application too.  Turtle points all around.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:31:16 PM »
Lol you're ASE certed who gives a :pokinit: it doesnt mean diddly anymore.. ATF has been widely known to be used as a detergent to clean out engines and other things. Just because your little book says its not right or doesnt say anything about it doesnt mean it doesnt work or is bad. You just have to know what the hell you are doing.
haha, great post
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
obviously you have a strong opinion about using ATF. i have one against using fluids in places they are not specified for.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
Good lord man  :shake:  You're thinking too literally, something that will get you in lots of trouble if you're actually going to be a tech.  Nobody is suggesting he run atf for an extended period of time, but that he should use it temporarily to help flush it out.  I don't see how it could get any simpler to explain  :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
Good lord man  :shake:  You're thinking too literally, something that will get you in lots of trouble if you're actually going to be a tech.  Nobody is suggesting he run atf for an extended period of time, but that he should use it temporarily to help flush it out.  I don't see how it could get any simpler to explain  :headscratch:

HE'S A 160 POINT TECH HE CLEARLY KNOWS MORE THAN US
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
i put a qt of atf in my motor before i do my oil changes.... then i start it and let it run for a minute, but not drive it around, turn it off, and then drain it......... works good :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
oh yeah... i'm pretty much a moron and i was only 1 point away form getting ase certification when i worked at wheel works :P
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »

yes because i was thinking he would drive it around.

blackxlava

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
Hate to bust anyones bubble, but ford requires the use of mercron ATF in some of their manual transmissions. Don't ask me but they do. And chevy did too on some. Hell hondas use to use motor oil in their manual transmissions. And before anyone jumps on my ass I haven't heard of Toyota doing this, but you could run either if you wanted. Just don't mix them if your going to run ATF run that, if your doing gear oil do that. Yeah you can use ATF to clean things becaue it is so detergant heavy, but you could also use gas if you wanted.

Back to the original question of exchanging with gear oil, good idea depending on what you find with the first drain. If it looks to have brass filings in it it won't hurt it to run a cheaper gear oil and change it again after a little drive. Do remeber however that some filings are normal, that's why we change fluid. I personally wouldn't add ATF to it, reason being if it was just rebuilt it shouldn't have much if any varnish in it( what ATF would actually clean) just my .02 on it

Also guys Im ASE cert'ed in a2 and a3, automatic transmissions and manual trans/ driveline. But I'll tell you experiance will trump ase's any time.

(sorry for any typo's writing off my iPhone)