Author Topic: Whine in '92 Toyota W56 5-speed  (Read 9191 times)

txst

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Whine in '92 Toyota W56 5-speed
« on: Dec 17, 2002, 05:47:06 AM »
I am having a lot of trouble with the transmission in my truck.  It only has 110K miles, but had a whine in 5th and 3rd gear that got progressively worse.  After a little research, I found that this was a fairly common problem with the W56 after many miles, and that it is usually the countershaft or input shaft bearings.  So, I took it to my local dealer, and their diagnosis was that it needed new bearings.  So, they replaced the bearings and the noise went away, but returned a few thousand miles later.  The dealer went back into the transmission and thought that they had gotten a bad set of bearings, so they replaced them again, and the noise went away again.  After a few thousand miles, the whine came back, and this time the diagnosis was that it needed new input and countershafts.  They were replaced, and the whine went away again, but has returned.  This time, the dealer took my truck to AAMCO, and their "expert" said that the noise was normal.  :b_s: I call BS.  So now the service manager told me he was going to fire his technician for repairing the transmission in the first place (nice guy, especially around the holidays).  I don't want the tech to get fired - the whine is fairly common to higher mileage W56's, but usually the new bearings take care of it.

I have 2 requests: 1)  I'm trying to help the tech keep his job.  The noise is not normal, and I would like to hear from you that have had problems with your Toyota transmission whine, so I can prove that the AAMCO "expert" doesn't know what he is talking about.  2)  Anyone have any ideas on what is going on with my tranny?  The whine id definitely coming from the tranny, as now the whine is in every gear except for 4th - 4th gear is absolutely silent.  
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1056988800 »

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
Re: Whine in '92 Toyota W56 5-speed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2002, 07:40:12 AM »
Are you in CA? Marlin is the god of Transmissions, but he doesn't watch the board much.

Scott
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

txst [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2002, 11:43:52 PM »
Unfortunately, I am in Texas.  Otherwise, he would be the only one that I would have let do the work.

After arguing with the woefully inept service director of the dealership, I am getting a NEW transmission installed.  I am surprised that they still make them.

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2002, 04:28:19 AM »
I just talked to Marlin and he said this could be casued by ecessive main shaft end play. That is somthing they don't know about.

Marlin just over hauled my R150F and showed me how mine was poping about of gear because of it. I know a few people with High mileage trucks and they have that 3rd and 5th gear whine. Those toyota dealer ship guy(from my dealings with them) don't know jack :moon:
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

txst [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2002, 03:26:07 AM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I am writing my letter the Service Director at the dealership who wants to fire the tech for doing unnecessary work on my  "good" transmission.  I am including all of the research that I have done, including these messages.

I figured that this Service Director's boss might be interested in how little he knows about our vehicles. ;)

drstranger

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re:Whine in '92 Toyota W56 5-speed
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2003, 05:49:51 PM »
I have an "86" truck with the same  problem exactly, 4th is totaly silent too. Right now I'm waiting for my clutch to arrive along with a host of suspension parts, and my tranny is out of the truck. I have a g52 that i'm looking to trade for another w56 to put in while the old one is being rebuilt,but if i can't find some one to trade or sell me a good one then i have to cut up my floorboard for the g52. The point i'm trying to make is "If you want something done right do it yourself" So I'm in the process of getting all the sst's and a press to rebuild my own tranny's. In my limited lifes experiences, i've found that about 60 to 70% of everyone either don't know or they don't know but act like they do, especially the so-called "EXPERTS" cuz they are supposed to know but don't. It will probably take some time before my tranny is in the truck and a few thousand miles on it but i will drive it to the aamco or whatever they are called and school this expert for ya if you want.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2003, 11:08:40 PM »
Here is a incomplete list of four reasons for the noise;
1. Bearing failure. Worn, pitted bearings make noise and produce heat.
2. Worn constant run gear teeth on the input and the front gear of the countershaft. These are the teeth that the power goes thur in all gears except 4th. These gear teeth fail because of--- low oil, wrong, poor quality oil, or just run too hard-also known as overheating. It will usually require a trained eye to catch the failed teeth. The technician must be very careful to complety examine the complete gearbox.
3. Excessive mainshaft end play-check the retainer plate for wear. This keeps the gears in line.
4. Cleanliness, Cleaniness, Cleaniness.......................

It sounds like this trans had bad bearings and worn gears. The failed bearings were replaced which placed the worn gears in a new pattern and the noise went away. It came back because the worn gears transferred more metal and the noise once again returned. The noise returned the third time because of left over metal in the gearbox which did further damage. How many times can I say Cleanliness...........hard to take a clean bath in dirty bath water :hammer: Were all the bearings replaced? or was it another slam job. Did the technician blueprint the trans and correct the W56 shortfalls? Was the oil delivery tube removed and cleaned? Sorry about the technicians job but it sounds like another slam job. :crazy:
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2003, 11:17:11 PM by Marlin »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2003, 11:25:32 PM »
I almost forgot-in 92 Toyota made major changes to the W56. Were the shift shaft bushings replaced? Toyota dose not service these, I make my own press then in and ream the bushings to fit.

Drstranger, I was hopeing you would of found a W56 by now-hate to see you put in that weaker G52 :hammer:
Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2003, 11:45:55 PM »
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

1980firstgen20r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Apr '17
  • 1st gen is better
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »
Here is a incomplete list of four reasons for the noise;
1. Bearing failure. Worn, pitted bearings make noise and produce heat.
2. Worn constant run gear teeth on the input and the front gear of the countershaft. These are the teeth that the power goes thur in all gears except 4th. These gear teeth fail because of--- low oil, wrong, poor quality oil, or just run too hard-also known as overheating. It will usually require a trained eye to catch the failed teeth. The technician must be very careful to complety examine the complete gearbox.
3. Excessive mainshaft end play-check the retainer plate for wear. This keeps the gears in line.
4. Cleanliness, Cleaniness, Cleaniness.......................

It sounds like this trans had bad bearings and worn gears. The failed bearings were replaced which placed the worn gears in a new pattern and the noise went away. It came back because the worn gears transferred more metal and the noise once again returned. The noise returned the third time because of left over metal in the gearbox which did further damage. How many times can I say Cleanliness...........hard to take a clean bath in dirty bath water :hammer: Were all the bearings replaced? or was it another slam job. Did the technician blueprint the trans and correct the W56 shortfalls? Was the oil delivery tube removed and cleaned? Sorry about the technicians job but it sounds like another slam job. :crazy:

Hey marlin can I pick your brain for a minute?

So I have a related problem but also a question, would an over tightend rear  output flange nut on the T/case  make the gears rattle???
Roll with the Coaliton crawlers
Mountain Mafia