Author Topic: New Seats for my 85  (Read 3044 times)

SharpasMarbles

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
New Seats for my 85
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
I'm in need of some new seats for my 85 x-cab......Was thinking about honda civic seats but I'm rethinking as I want something more comfortable and possibly Toyota......any recommendations on what has worked well for you would be appreciated......
Thanks
Monty
Sit down Shut up Hold on

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Re: New Seats for my 85
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
If you can get your hands on some 90-00 acura integra seats or 89-91 honda civic (si model), they're very comfy. They'll give you the support like racing seats but it won't be a hassle to lean over to look at your position on the rocks....no overwhelming side protection like reacing seats.

:yesnod:

cen-cal crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
I put some black fabric buckets from a 2007 mitsubishi eclipse...way more comfy then any honda seat imo :twocents:

VincentVanPwn3d

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
I think the supra seats could be nice, also my roommate has dodge neon seats in his and they are pretty good.
86 4runner
22re

cen-cal crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
i foubd my seats at the junkyard in perfect condition! i
suggest you go sit in some at the junkyard and see what you like? and if you find some nice ones they run about 30 bucks a piece. I bolted my seats to the original sr5 bucket
seat rails

93REDCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
If you can get your hands on some 90-00 acura integra seats or 89-91 honda civic (si model), they're very comfy. They'll give you the support like racing seats but it won't be a hassle to lean over to look at your position on the rocks....no overwhelming side protection like reacing seats.

:yesnod:

X2
:thumbs: :driving:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:27:31 AM »
Any Toyota bucket seats from an MR2, Truck(through Tacoma), 4-Runner(through 3rd gen), are direct bolt-ins. Paseo, Cressida, Corolla, Camry, Celica, Tercel(through the 90's) front & outer side-mounts should line-up w/the trucks, you might have to drill a new hole for the inner mounts.  Supra seat's front mounts line up up with the trucks, but the rear mounts need some work.  The inner rear mounts don't mount to the floor like in the rest of Toyota's, they mount to the drive train hump, so you have to weld up a different mount.  The front mounts of most of the Japanese cars through the '90's line up with the bolts holes in the Toyota trucks, and usually the outer rear, but the inner rear usually requires drilling a new hole. 

A lot of the 2000 and newer Japanese cars have thicker seats, so you need to measure their thickness(rail-to-top of seat), or you could end up with seats that reduce your head room.

If you can weld/have access to someone, you can always swap the seat rails from the seats you have now to a set you want to use.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

SharpasMarbles [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
Any Toyota bucket seats from an MR2, Truck(through Tacoma), 4-Runner(through 3rd gen), are direct bolt-ins. Paseo, Cressida, Corolla, Camry, Celica, Tercel(through the 90's) front & outer side-mounts should line-up w/the trucks, you might have to drill a new hole for the inner mounts.  Supra seat's front mounts line up up with the trucks, but the rear mounts need some work.  The inner rear mounts don't mount to the floor like in the rest of Toyota's, they mount to the drive train hump, so you have to weld up a different mount.  The front mounts of most of the Japanese cars through the '90's line up with the bolts holes in the Toyota trucks, and usually the outer rear, but the inner rear usually requires drilling a new hole. 

A lot of the 2000 and newer Japanese cars have thicker seats, so you need to measure their thickness(rail-to-top of seat), or you could end up with seats that reduce your head room.

If you can weld/have access to someone, you can always swap the seat rails from the seats you have now to a set you want to use.
Thanks for all the info......I guess I'm gonna have a look around and see what seats catch my eye.aren't to spendy and super comfortable and go from there......The fabrication part will be easier then the decision.......once i get em swapped i'll put up some pix!!
Sit down Shut up Hold on

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
Look for seats out of a two door vehicle. My 96 four door accord seats don't tilt forward very far and it sometimes sucks getting thing from the backseat.

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
i got some sr5 2nd gen runner seats probably the most comforatable seats ive ever sat in

40mikemike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »
Here is my take...

first you got a welder or access to one, cause most all conversions will need some seat bracket fab
second look for good quality passenger seats (less overall use) 2 seats, 4 seats how ever many you need just get same yr/mk/model and yes 2 door = more froward seat back movement ...
if your local pick and pulls are like mine don't worry too much about how dirty the fabric looks, all the seats I had scavenged looked like 1000 naked bums had taken turns sitting on them, but as long as the foam is still sturdy, a good dollar store scrub brush, towel, and carpet cleaner can get them clean enough to sit your wife on in a wedding dress, well... maybe not that clean but close :rofl2:

Then the rest is an hour or two of fitment and welding fab on the brackets,
 don't get caught in the fancy-dancy Ricer race type seats cause the "latt" support will be a PITA if you plan on leaning out to look out of the side of your rig all the time like most of us do spotting for rocks and what not
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 12:18:09 AM by 40mikemike »

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »
I run Accord seats from a mid 90's 2 door,  They work really well.  My driver seat has bells and whistles (adjustable wings, lumbar, and ass cushion), but the passenger can only move forward, and tilt.  Keep that in mind when your looking for only passenger seats.

LDcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
Ive got an 85 Xtra Cab and i just got some corbeau baja RS suspension seats,  I really like them, they look cool and they are super comfortabe

LDcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »
this is a better picture