We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: The Return of the Transfer Case Bible  (Read 11429 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
The Return of the Transfer Case Bible
« on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:38:32 AM »
Hey guys,

Today I realized that our Famous Gear Drive Transfer Case Bible is missing from our website, so I reinstated it :thumbs:

It is available here: http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transfercase/transfer-case-bible

Enjoy :beerchug:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Re: The Return of the Transfer Case Bible
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:35:41 PM »
thanks for posting this big mike. i didn't know there were so many types of gear cases. now have a 3 questions: 1. what is the difference between short and tall style cases? 2. if i have an 1980 and a 1986 efi case which one should i make the crawl box and which one should i put the 4.7's into? 3. what is the best year cases to make duals out of? thanks in advance.
81 swb 22re 35's

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
thanks for posting this big mike. i didn't know there were so many types of gear cases.
:beerchug: :)

1. what is the difference between short and tall style cases?
Generally speaking, tall cases were introduced in 1984 with the new all-aluminum transmission, the G52. The face of the cast iron 1979-83 L-series transmission's rear flange is about a quarter-inch shorter than the face of the aluminum G-, W-, and R-series transmission rear flanges. Therefore Toyota had to redesign the transfer case gasket and the transfer case's reduction housing's front flange to match the taller aluminum transmission.

To answer your question, the earliest tall case (Type 1-C) is no different than its short case predecessor: They both lacked the front bearing retaining clip and featured noise type gear sets. But this was a rare exception, and in general, the short and tall cases are, for all intensive purposes, contrasted as the short cases feature noisy gears and the tall cases featuring run-quiet gears. That is the biggest single difference between the two. All the bolt patterns, bearing centers, ribbing, gusseting, and structural design were unchanged.

Of course there are many non-related differences, such as flange style, speedometer sender gear teeth count, fill and drain plug style, shifting orientation and component configuration, and input spline count to name a few. These are all defined in great detail in the Bible. But for the most part, it is safe to say, in general, the only difference between a short case and a tall case is the type of low range gear components used (noisy or run-quiet).

It should be noted that short cases may be used behind the taller aluminum transmissions, and vice versa, however please take extra care in sealing the top portion of the mating flange when mounting a short case behind a tall aluminum transmission: There is only about a quarter-inch of gasket contact. We use Porter Manufacturing’s Gasgacinch (P/N 440) or Loctite's HI-TACK (P/N 30524) gasket-specific sealants in conjunction with the paper gasket to ensure the seal. Never, I repeat NEVER use silicone in conjunction with a paper gasket. You MUST use a proper gasket-specific sealant or pay the penalty of a leaking drivetrain.

2. if i have an 1980 and a 1986 efi case which one should i make the crawl box and which one should i put the 4.7's into?
To properly answer your question I need to know what transmission you are using. In general, we advise the shot case as the transfer case and the tall case as the Crawl Box. This is because our adapter plate is compatible with either style transfer case, and it is always a safe bet to build a tall case as your Crawl Box since it is compatible with either a short cast iron or a tall aluminum transmission.

While this general advice is the best in terms of getting a proper oil seal, there are valid considerations against it. For instance the tall case is younger and therefore may have less mileage than your older short case making it the better candidate as the transfer case. Tall case drive line flanges are superior to short case drive line flanges making it a better candidate as the transfer case. The tall case will more than likely feature run quiet low range gears, and since the average user is most likely to use the transfer case before the Crawl Box, it would be idea to use the tall case as the transfer case in order to maximize the amount of hours using the run quiet gear set while minimizing the amount of hours using the noisy gear set. This last point is not valid if plan on using our 4.70:1 XD gear set in your transfer case.

If your 1980 transfer case is a mid- to early-year model, then it is designed for a 4-speed transmission and will have a unique 4-speed input with a spline stepping design to prevent the transmission mainshaft from moving rearward. If you are not using a 4-speed transmission then this input gear will not work with a 5-speed transmission unless the diameter of this spline step is reduced. To help simplify this process, we designed the Chromoly coupler in our dual case adapters to be fully compatible with all 4- and 5-speed type transfer case input gears. Therefore, in this case, you'd be best to place your 4-speed 1980 case behind our Crawler adapter and run it as your transfer case and use the 1986 case as the Crawl Box.

You are certainly free to swap housings between transfer cases and use a short-cased run-quiet hybrid transfer case as your transfer case. Then you get the best of all worlds in one swoop.

3. what is the best year cases to make duals out of?
This question is highly subjective. Of course I could give the obvious answer as a 1986-87 Turbo (Type 4) transfer case since they have the strongest input gear design out of any other stock option, but this is not always the best answer. Especially if you plan on using our 4.70:1 XD gear set in your transfer case, both 21- and 23-spline XD gear sets feature a Total-Spline input gear that is stronger than the stock 23-spline Turbo input. This nullifies the only real reason why you'd want to use a Type 4 transfer case in the first place. Another disadvantage of the Type 4 case is that its forward shift configuration would need to be converted to a top shift configuration to use as a transfer case in a dual case setup.

Because these gear drive transfer cases were manufactured over a 16 year period, the age and mileage usage will vary greatly from core to core. Therefore perhaps the best answer would be to find the transfer case that has the lowest amount of mileage and therefore is in the best condition to be re-used. However, any gear drive transfer case manufactured after 1988 will be a forward style shift configuration and therefore will need to be converted as well.

Early transfer cases use the wrong flanges (9mm bolts with the smallest bolt pattern available). Newer transfer cases use the wrong shift style for a dual case transfer case.
Early transfer cases use noisy gear sets but are lighter than the newer transfer cases that feature run-quiet gear sets.
Newer top shift transfer cases feature an improved/stronger non shift rail c-clip design but as a result require more steps for disassembly.
Some 1992 and newer transfer cases use an electronic speedometer sender which may or may not be appropriate for your vehicle.
We believe the mainshafts of all 4-speed transfer cases are less brittle and therefore less prone to fracture (this has not been verified empirically), but now you are using a mainshaft that has at least 27 years of torque being transmitted through it!
And speaking of 4-speed setups, you may want to avoid this type because of the spline step considerations discussed above.

Have fun with your build and before you know you'll be out Crawling like the rest of us!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6LoQTme51tA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6LoQTme51tA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

BigMike
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010, 03:59:51 PM by BigMike »

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »
thanks for the answers bigmike. i have a w56b top shift tranny and t case out of the same 86 efi 4runner. the 1980 case has the step in the input. from what i gathered from the info above is to use the 86 tcase for the crawl box and put the 4.7 gears and triple drilled flanges in the 1980 case. this should solve all the problems mentioned above correct?
81 swb 22re 35's

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
 :woohoo:
Glad to see it back

Thanks Mike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 10:41:25 PM »
use the 86 tcase for the crawl box

put the 4.7 gears and triple drilled flanges in the 1980 case.

You are spot-on Sir, sounds great! :thumbs:

If interested, you could gain some input strength by using the 1980 input in your Crawl Box. You'll have to grind the spline step down just a tad until it fits the output coupler of your W56. As for compatibility, non run-quiet inputs are fully interchangeable with run-quiet gear sets.

This is not required but is considered a strength upgrade.

In fact this is precisely what I did for my personal rig: I'm running a 4-speed 21-spline input gear with a run-quiet gear set in my 1st Crawl Box behind my W56-A as discussed here (reply #807).

Here is a (rather small and hard to see) picture of my 4-speed input with the spline step ground down just enough so that it fits into the W56 output coupler. Be careful to only grind where it is necessary. You only need to grind where the stepping is:

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:17:56 AM »
what do the non quiet vs quiet gears look like..i just did a t case tonight and was wondering what they were? is it the little thin metal gear thing on top of the gear? thanks in advance
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
what do the non quiet vs quiet gears look like..i just did a t case tonight and was wondering what they were? is it the little thin metal gear thing on top of the gear? thanks in advance
That is correct. That thin gear is preloaded to the main gear (by a conical thrust washer) and has one tooth less which causes it to rotate at a faster speed than the main gear. Because it is preloaded, it resists this rotation which keeps a continuous pressure between all teeth involved. This effectively eliminates all gear slop (free play) between each tooth pair resulting in a quiet chatter-free operation.

Here are the exploded views from the factory service manual. I have added red arrows that point to the run quiet components. It is interesting to note that due to the space required by these components, the width of the run-quiet gears is less than the width of the non run-quiet gears. This may lead one to believe that the run-quiet gears are therefore weaker, however the input will yield before the teeth on a stock gear set which offsets the strength difference.

As you can see only the low speed gear and the idler (counter) gear are affected. This is what enables input gear swapping as discussed in my previous post.

BigMike

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:58:06 AM »
sweet thanks...is it alright to remove the thin gear?
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »
Yes, you may remove the 3 parts from each or either gear if desired, it will not hurt anything. :thumbs:

Just make sure, like always, if you are going to reuse c-clips, to re-preload the clips the proper way:

Step 1: Slightly compress between one end of the clip and the side opposite, like this:

Step 2: Slightly compress between the other end of the clip and it's opposite side, like this:

Step 3: Finally, compress (but not as much as in step 1 & 2) at the clips mid-point, like this:

(pictures taken by Brandon Miller from http://www.whiteknucklemotorsports.net and modeled by yours truly)

All too often people make the mistake of only doing step 3, which distorts the circumference of the clip and prevents as much clip engagement as you can possibly get with a used clip. We are not against reusing Toyota c-clips as long as you are able to return the clip to near its original shape for good engagement when installed. FYI I have all used clips and even used bearings in my triple transfer case setup in my personal rig and I've NEVER worried about any of them. :twocents:

Mike
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010, 01:11:54 PM by BigMike »

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »
bigmike, so what your saying is i shouldn't be to worried about using the second case i picked up for my duals. its from 1980 as stated earlier and i was worried about the bearings giving me problems. im not worried about the 1986 efi case i have in the truck its problem free! :)
81 swb 22re 35's

muddytaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
great thread :thumbsup:
95 tacoma 5" revtek/bilstein detroit locked 9" with drilled and slotted rotors front and back, 8000# mile marker winch, 16" crager crawlers, too much other crap to mention
96 t100 2wd (soon to be sasd i hope) - dead
85 efi 4runner
01 sequoia