Author Topic: CA e brake requirements?  (Read 7477 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
CA e brake requirements?
« on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
long story short, selling my truck and need a brake and light inspection "salvage title" well i failed the e-brake because i dont have one and failed many other lite requirements even though every lite worked down to the reverse and license plate light... anyways i have a 14 bolt with discs and i just orderd one caddy eldorado caliper "built in parking prake" due to they cost 90$ a piece :yikes:.... does anyone know if having just one wheel have the e-brake fly "Technically" with inspectors? truck is a 02 taco if year of the vehicle matters
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

deans87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Re: CA e brake requirements?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »
what if you installed a linelock?

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
u should try and find a shady inspector and tell him u got like 50 extra for him to make it pass..thats wat i had to do.. just tell him its for OFF ROAD only so he might understand
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
Can't be hydraulic, so no line lock and apparently it would be like trying to find a shady smog person.... ky inspector has a cruiser and goes to the con and marked me down for not having one of my reverse lights securely facend.... anyways my buddys friend who is a certified inspector "that doesn't work at a certified shop" just confirmed it needs two...... ugh.... more money into a truck I'm in the process or selling

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
Parking Brake, i believe it must be mechanical, in some states it may have to be OEM.  The state has been all over my runner and I run line locks, and a transfer case brake.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
Here is the parking brake section of the State of CA V.C. It does not say anything about how many wheel have to have them. Back in the 50's-60's used a d-shaft e-brake which is basically on one wheel because of the diff. If you have a non-selectable locker, spool or welded rear diff both wheels are locked when the e-brake is applied.

26451.  The parking brake system of every motor vehicle shall comply
with the following requirements:
   (a) The parking brake shall be adequate to hold the vehicle or combination of vehicles stationary on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading on a surface free from snow,ice or loose material. In any event the parking brake shall be capable of locking the braked wheels to the limit of traction.   
   (b) The parking brake shall be applied either by the driver's muscular efforts, by spring action, or by other energy which is isolated and used exclusively for the operation of the parking brake or the combination parking brake and emergency stopping system.
   (c) The parking brake shall be held in the applied position solely by mechanical means.

Here is a link to the California V.C. where you can read about lighting/refelector requirements.

Remember lights or refelectors are required on the front and back sides of the vehicle.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
 :thumbs:  Good info

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
thanks for the info.... weather it says 1 or 2 wheels i bought two caddy calipers "Expensive" :yikes: so they have no way in messing around with me... its 90 for a caliper and its 75 for a brake retest if i failed by just having one... it was worth the peace of mind having 2 and knowing i wont have to mess around with failing and rerouting the cables and setting up another caddy caliper.....  i dont think i ever want to do another brake and light/salvage/out of state truck again!!! i cant tell you how many trips to the dmv/chp i have made to finish up the transfer... i have the brake and light left and thats it!!!!! cant wait!!!

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:55:10 PM »
Note, all Toyotas pop out of gear , I almost watched my truck roll down hollister hills
Didn't have good enough back breaks  cool thread!!

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
would they pass it with a driveline brake?

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2010, 08:06:44 AM »
No, not in ca

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
Note, all Toyotas pop out of gear

Not one of my toyotas over the last 15+ years, nor any others I know of, have ever popped out of gear at rest, beit under load or not.  I don't get why people make such ignorant claims  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
ya truck pops outta first all the time..under a load though. it sucks
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
from my understanding from the inspector that inspected my truck and my buddys friend that used to inspect said it wont fly, and that both WHEELS need a brake.... just think about it... if your u joint brakes your driveline wont hold your truck... yes your hydrolics can go out and loose the braking power but you still have that mechanical connection to the e brake at the wheels.... yes it is a bunch of bs in my opinion but sometimes stupid stuff eventually makes sense... and i serched real quick about the driveline and everything i saw said they werent legal....

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
Pretty strange, for many years Chrysler products used a band style brake on the back of the tranny and there are many of this cars still on the road.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
Pretty strange, for many years Chrysler products used a band style brake on the back of the tranny and there are many of this cars still on the road.

x2, I have also seen vehicles with bands, or drums at the end of the driveshaft before the axle.

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »
when i was doing a brake inspection on this the guy just said we need a working e brake.. he said just make the brake handle work.. thats all he cared about

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »
ya truck pops outta first all the time..under a load though. it sucks

Sounds more like you need a new ball seat to me.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
My buddy had an old chevy that also had a band brake right after the transmission.  So y exactly is your truck having to be inspected if its in cali?  Is this for any salvage title?

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
Sounds more like you need a new ball seat to me.
i just put a new set in and it still does it..unless u hold the shifter in 1st

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »
So y exactly is your truck having to be inspected if its in cali?  Is this for any salvage title?

long story short, selling my truck and need a brake and light inspection "salvage title"
RIP KYOTA

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
In Cali, if you are involved in a fender bender, you may have to do this inspection next time your registration is due.  This happened to me with my old Supra, and it wasn't my fault.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
i just put a new set in and it still does it..unless u hold the shifter in 1st
Do you have any body lift? If not something is wrong inside like a worn shifter or fork.

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:46:21 AM »
In Cali, if you are involved in a fender bender, you may have to do this inspection next time your registration is due.  This happened to me with my old Supra, and it wasn't my fault.

How do they enforce this??  When ever i sell a car or truck I just sign over the pinkslip and the deal is done.  I live in cali and have bought and sold several trucks (that have been in accidents at one point or another) and I find it odd that I haven't run into this yet.

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:41:31 AM »
you havent bought a salvaged car yet....  it is enforced if the vehicle goes through INSURANCE and is decided to be salvaged to them and then obviously they report it to the dmv... police DO NOT determine if it is salvaged in there police reports.... well i e-mailed allpro about the ca code bs legality and should find out monday the driveshaft e brake legality

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:07:53 AM »
just because it has been in an accident doesnt mean it is a salvage title.....

salvage, is because an insurance company deemed its repairs were to extensive and paid the owner out for it instead of fixing it...... you can fix it yourself and save $, but it iwll need to be inspected before deemed street legal again, they check the vins, brakes and lights
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
That's still not entirely true.  A suburban hit my 81 2wd toy in the bed, spun me and hit again in the cab and door.  Insurance deemed it a total loss, cost of repairs exceeding the value of the vehicle, then cut me a check.  I retained the clean title in my name, swapped out the door and continued driving it with a clean title. 

Where it would have changed is if I had full coverage insurance and only my insurer was involved.  The options then are usually get a check for full value and give them the vehicle, or recieve a partial payment and keep the vehicle, at which point you can go through the salvaging process or use it for parts.  That's how I got my first f4i, the guy solo crashed it and bought it back, then sold it to me and I went through the salvaging process.
RIP KYOTA

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »
If I may add some :offtopic: info regarding e-brakes and California...

Back in '04 when I did the engine conversion for my 1981 Hilux, the California Referee told me it had to have an e-brake or they would fail it. Fortunately at the time it did have an e-brake so it was no big deal.

Fast forward to this year (back in May) when I did my Supercharged engine conversion on my 1987 MR2, when I made my reservation with the state ref they didn't state that I needed a working e-brake. This concerned me because I no longer have an e-brake on the MR2 due to a custom 4-piston vented rotor rear brake conversion I did about 10 yrs ago.

I wanted to be absolutely certain they weren't gonna immediately fail me once I showed up, so I asked if I need to have a working e-brake and the lady on the phone told me nope, just show up with the car and you're set. And sure enough, they inspected my car and passed it with flying colors with no e-brake.

So apparently some e-brake laws have changed over the years..... I realize this isn't a brake inspection, but thought I would post up in case some people found this thread looking for state ref related e-brake info ;)

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
CA is  :stopit: with rules!!!!

both the trucks i bought with a "salvaged" title had to have a brake and head light inspection be for i could registered them, but they did not check the e-brake.

and i have been pulled over more times than i can count and not once did the cop say "do you know why i pulled you over?..........cause i need to check your e-brake"

4THEWKN