Author Topic: Check engine light kills engine.  (Read 3339 times)

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Check engine light kills engine.
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
My 1985 4Runner passed smog with flying colors back in October and has been pretty much sitting unused since then.  When I started it up this week to drive it about 10 seconds into running the check engine light came on and the truck turned off automatically.  So i tried to start it again and it sputtered but wouldn't stay running.  I let it sit for a few minutes then tried to start it again and it ran for a few minutes then the check engine light came on again and killed the motor.  After playing this game for a bout 10 minutes the check engine light stayed off and the truck runs pretty good.  The next couple of days in a row the same thing happens when I go to start it up check engine light comes on and kills the truck a couple times then quits and runs ok.  This is weird, I guess I could pull the codes tomorrow, but I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what might be happening.  Has this happened to anyone before?  I'm thinking it might be ignition related.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Check engine light kills engine.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »
Sounds like it is doing this when it is cold only, maybe be the cold start injector is clogged from non-use. My sons 4Runner had a little sputter at start after it had sat for almost 6 years and that's what was causing it. I Just ran a can of injector cleaner through it and cleared it up.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

stackz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
pull your codes.  some critical component or sensor apparently didnt survive the long sitting spell too well and is farting all over the place.

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
Idk , sorry

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
sounds like possibly a short? I had a short that my exhaust had to be hot for it to be a problem.

Mine did not kill the engine, but mine had an O2 sensor wire rubbing an exhaust flange.... when it cooled off... the plastic formed just enough of a barrier, then it would take warm rubbing agian to make it short again.

Yours could be like they said, a component that did not like sitting, but could also be a short somewhere, either a bare wire that has to hit the right spot... a bare wire that has to hit the right temp because of current flowing through it, or a short thats touching another part thats getting hot?
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Burl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
I pulled the engine codes and I'm getting 3 and 6 I did a search for the codes and the links that I found don't go to an archive or anything showing what those codes are.  If anyone has any info on those two codes that would be most helpful.

Burl [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
I found some info on these codes not from the marlin site just wondering if anyone can give some credibility to this info.  Code 3 ignition signal, code 6 RPM signal.  If these are correct should I replace the Ignition and coil unit that is on the inner fender driver side?

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
could be the pickup coil in the distributor... I believe those are a semi-mechanical part too?
also check the plug-in thats clipped in the coil....

Maybe even try plugging in another distributor...
I know that some of those wires ride right over the exhaust manifold to?
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
If you have a service manual, those parts can be checks with a meter.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
sounds like his problem is intermittent though?  I mean I guess if he got it to the point where it died... then tried testing?

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
sounds like his problem is intermittent though?  I mean I guess if he got it to the point where it died... then tried testing?

Gotcha, that kind of stuff is a litter tougher.