Author Topic: Marlin's bearing upgrade in 6-shooter steering arms?  (Read 4316 times)

6l psd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Marlin's bearing upgrade in 6-shooter steering arms?
« on: Nov 13, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
While building up my 82, I found a deal on a built 95 Toy.  I still can't post pics.  All this so I don't get flamed about having other companies stuff!

The 95 came with 6-shooter knuckles and high steer arms.  Since starting down this Toyota journey I have wanted a set of Marlin's trunnion upgrades...that bottom plate and the clean lines just enthralls me!  So, my question is...if I machine out the center hole to 1" in the 6 shooter steering arms, will Marlin's kit work with these arms/knuckles??

Thanks all!!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Why not sell the six shooter parts and cover some of the cost of the Marlin parts that are intended to perform the same function.  Unless you're crazy off road it simply seems like a poor investment to double up.  I'd pick one design and stick with it.  I'm sure the TG parts have some resale value if you prefer the Marlin design.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

6l psd [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
It's not doubling up, the 6 shooter knuckles are held on by the stock Toy bottom plate and 17mm pin. The pins in the steering arms are stock size as well.  I'm wanting to beef those weak links with Marlin stuff, and have read the pin sizes are different (3/4" vs. 1") between Marlin and TG steering arms.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
That's a cool idea. Sorry I can't offer any info. It sounds like over kill but I like bomb proof :)

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Take the arms to a machine shop and have them bored out to fit the 1" pins. Should be done with reamers not twist drills. Be best to have the pins so they can be fitted correctly.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

6l psd [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Sounds good Oops...that's kind of what I was thinking.  Wanted to see if anyone had done/tried it before I spent the money.  The whole thing should be beef when done!

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I woulda sworn they were the same
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I woulda sworn they were the same
Nope, when I broke a trunnion pin in Moab TG overnighted a set of six stud arms to Scott of Addicted Offroad. I replaced the broken arm with the TG arm. My 6-stud arms are some that Marlin made when the 6-hole arms and knuckles were being designed by Marlin. They are milled from solid billet steel and the pins are 1". I lucked out and was able to use the 25 mm kit by pressing out the old pins and pressing in the new .
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity