Author Topic: Not a yota, but can still be appreciated ;)  (Read 3247 times)

gahaszuk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Not a yota, but can still be appreciated ;)
« on: Dec 30, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »
I have posted on here a coupla times to get some information on t-cases, axles, etc.  Well, I wanted to share with you guys my project...

After 3 days of laying on concrete, grinding, welding, lifting, cursing, and drinking, I present to you.... Mongo! Mongo is a 1999 Nissan Frontier 2wd with a big attitude.  In this pic, he is sporting the solid axle swap and rancho suspension.  The tires on there are 32x1150x15 BFG Mud tires.  To give a little referrence in the pic, the bottom of the front bumper to the ground measures approx 3ft.

I am in the process of converting a 2wd truck into a beasty 4wd.

For the axle, I used a Dana 44 passanger drop axle from a Jeep Wagoneer. It has been completely rebuilt, and 4.88 gears are installed. For the time being, and financial restraints, it is still open. Plans will include an ARB locker. New balljoints and u-joints have also been installed. I also installed a pair of Warn Premium locking hubs.

Suspension consists of Rancho 44044 leaf springs, and Rancho RSX 99112 shocks. Steering is from PartsMike Parts... which will be modified. For now, I just used the "stock" waggy steering setup, and I am having some bumpsteer. I plan on using a high steer, or cross over steering, but for now, this will have to do.

My brakes are a little soft. The pedal goes down pretty far before slowing, but when mashed to the floor, the truck does stop. If I pump the pedal, pressure on the pedal is much more noticable.

For the drivetrain, I still plan on using the KA24DE nissan motor and tranny.  I will be using a 'yota tcase with the Marlin Crawler gears.  Custom front and rear driveshafts will have to be fabbed, as well as an intermidiate shaft between the tranny and tcase.  It will be divorced, and I will use an OTT Industries adapter plate to allow me to do this.  I am hoping to have the 4wd conversion completed no later than February, but we will see how things go.

So far, the truck is not all that bad to drive on the street.  I can't wait to get Mongo to the point where I can comfortably thrash him, haha.

Here is a link for ALL the buildup pics for this project:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4975190&uid=1049779

gahaszuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Not a yota, but can still be appreciated ;)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2004, 10:59:56 PM »
I also had a question regarding the 'yota tcases... I am thinking about using a forward shift tcase, but needed to know how they shift.  I know that on Nissan tcases, you have to press in the shifter, then move it down to 4 lo.  Do you have to do anything with the yotas, or do you just dump it in the proper gate?  Make sense?

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2004, 11:02:07 PM »
Normal yota cases shift in a J pattern.  You basically just pull or push it.  Ther is no gating.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

rockbuggy37

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2004, 04:05:27 AM »
looks just like my buddys truck its a 2001 nissan he runs 35" tires king coil in the front leafs in the back d44 front d44 rear, arb front and rear, warn 9000 wench.
 he wheels it at moab he will be at easter jeep in march 28 05 its white just like yours
 he has a tool box in the back and spair tire carrier on the bumper, he uses lower t case gears in stock case, i just e mailed this page to him and told him to get in touch with you.

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2004, 06:21:50 AM »
 :biggthumpup: A friend and I done a 2wd ranger like that w/a 351c in it worked out good. And we done my 78 2wd yota when we finished his.                  :thumbs:  looks good :thumbs:

gahaszuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2004, 10:43:21 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the compliments.  It was ALOT of hard work, but we got it done, and I am very happy with it.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2004, 11:08:54 AM »
Sweet, nice job  :clap2: 
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2004, 08:55:23 PM »
I also had a question regarding the 'yota tcases... I am thinking about using a forward shift tcase, but needed to know how they shift.  I know that on Nissan tcases, you have to press in the shifter, then move it down to 4 lo.  Do you have to do anything with the yotas, or do you just dump it in the proper gate?  Make sense?
forward shift cases are easy to figure out, the rails are right out in the open! :thumbs:

left rail is for the range.  all the way in is low range, all the way out is high range, and in the middle is neutral.  right rail is 2wd-4wd, all the way out is 2wd, all the way in is 4wd.

there's an interlock pill you can remove to be able to twin stick it and move the rails independantly, gaining 2 low(without the pin removed you can't move the range rail unless the case is in 4wd)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2004, 08:58:10 PM »
Cool ride!!!!  A few years ago I saw an early 90s hardbody that was on 35s and had chromed Toy axles under it, and the first high steer I ever saw.  Pretty cool for a Nissan,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gahaszuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2006, 03:13:35 PM »
Well, after alot of fabbing, cussing, and headaches, I am finally done... haven't posted on here in forever, lol.

I decided not to go with dual cases, so I pulled out the pass-drop axle I had under the truck, and put in a mid 80's style waggy axle (with driver's drop).  Then, I used a cherokee driveshaft, and just cut it to length, welded a 1310 yoke on, and it worked perfect with the nissan flange.

So, I have been doing a little playing down here by my house in Tucson, but lookin to go wheelin soon.  Any locals wanna hook up w/ a *gasp* Nissan? :D

I am selling the old axle, check the auction thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2006, 11:47:43 PM by gahaszuk »

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2006, 08:21:55 PM »
Whats your location :dunno:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

gahaszuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »
I live just south of Tucson, Arizona in the small town of Sahuarita.