Author Topic: Found out that I made a mistake in my job today...  (Read 3448 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Found out that I made a mistake in my job today...
« on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
I work at a Navy shipyard as an engineer doing submarine maintenance.  For certain types of work there is an internal audit (people from our shipyard) at the end of projects to review the paperwork to make sure nothing was missed and then a few weeks later there is a full audit done by people from other shipyard that is part of the certification of the project.  Today the internal audit team discovered that I made a mistake at the end of March.  Unfortunately, it is the highest level audit hit that will require quite a bit of time to correct.  The work required on the sub isn't the end of the world to recover from, but the process will force us to review a lot of other paperwork looking for similar types of mistakes.  This is only my second audit hit in 9-1/2 years of working and the last one I figured out while trying to answer an auditors question.  Mistakes happen, but major bummer.  My boss was a bit down after finding out today that his group made two big mistakes after being clean on the past few projects.  This is exactly what keeps sailors safe so it's a great process, but a bit painful when you're in the middle of it. It's difficult to remember specifics from 6 months ago, especially considering I averaged well over 20% overtime during the first four months of the year and was working up to four different subs at the same time with two being nearly identical.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Bummer, but at least there's a program to catch it! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
I used to work on aircraft...dealing with the aftermath of a crash is horrible (Not me, but, I've seen it). It's waaaay better to catch the mistake on land than in the air or underwater.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Bummer, but at least there's a program to catch it! 

The program was used as the template to fix NASA after the Challenger explosion.  It's cumbersome, but functional.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Not to be a richard, but what mistake did u make??

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Not to be a richard, but what mistake did u make??

During an inspection job there were four defects documented.  Somehow I missed three of them when authorizing the repairs.  It really was a very obvious mistake, not quite sure how it happened beyond a brain fart.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I made some mistakes at my last job that could have come out in an audit, but I don't give a damn since they wouldn't hurt anyone and they layed me and everyone else off in hopes to sell the company.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
BlackDiamond, I feel your pain.  I'm an engine mechanic on F-16's and I've seen a few major investigations.  I have been part of one, but my Squadron Commander and Group Commander decided I was in no way at fault.  Hopefully all turns out well for you, these situations can be very stressful, so keep your head up.

On another note, I jacked up at work yesterday as well.  I accidentally broke the back window out of my shops only work truck.  I feel like an idiot, and to add insult to injury, the vehicle NCO said someone has to do an investigation to see if what I said happened is possible, if so, I'm off scott free, if not, I have to pay for the window in the F-350, which he said is probably $1200-$1300.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I feel like an idiot, and to add insult to injury, the vehicle NCO said someone has to do an investigation to see if what I said happened is possible, if so, I'm off scott free, if not, I have to pay for the window in the F-350, which he said is probably $1200-$1300.

That is really stupid, they have to do and investigation on a broken window!

It will cost $1,300.00 to replace a flat piece of safety glass!!!!!!!

Oh my and we wonder where all our tax money gets wasted!!!!

I think we just found the reason!!!!!

$200.00 bucks and you could get a new one installed.  :shake:

....and there would be no need for the $250,000.00 cost of the investigation
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2010, 02:25:02 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
This have anything to do with the U.S.S. Virginia that is printed on Fox News?  Oh and good luck I was in the Navy years ago working in a ship yard I know what you are going through.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That is really stupid, they have to do and investigation on a broken window!

It will cost $1,300.00 to replace a flat piece of safety glass!!!!!!!

Oh my and we wonder where all our tax money gets wasted!!!!

I think we just found the reason!!!!!

$200.00 bucks and you could get a new one installed.  :shake:

....and there would be no need for the $250,000.00 cost of the investigation

The vehicle NCO said they have to get an OEM window from Ford, that's why it will be so much money.  Ford will see that the Air Force is buying the window and probably jack the price all up.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
This have anything to do with the U.S.S. Virginia that is printed on Fox News?  Oh and good luck I was in the Navy years ago working in a ship yard I know what you are going through.

Nope, I was involved in an audit on the USS Honolulu just before it finished construction, but have had no dealing with that class other than that.  Most of my time is spent on the previous class that shares many of the "improvements" that have made the news on the Virginia class.

The biggest issue is that everything in design is done for easy construction instead of thinking about the long term maintenance.  I sure hope they are saving enough money during construction to make up for the significant increase in cost of maintenance over the life of the ship.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
p.s. The shipboard recovery work looks like it'll be simple, it's just the hundreds of pages of other paperwork to review to verify that it was a isolated mistake.  My portion of the review includes about 37 jobs and close to 400 pages.  It's fairly easy work, we just have to make sure we don't miss anything in our review or we'll look like morons when/if another audit finds another problem.  We're reviewing several project and will have 5 audits coming up going over this paperwork.  They are "kind" enough to give auditors a list of previous issues so they know exactly what to look for.