Author Topic: Summit Racing 9000 Winch a.k.a T-Max 9000 Winch  (Read 12168 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Summit Racing 9000 Winch a.k.a T-Max 9000 Winch
« on: Aug 30, 2010, 04:35:47 AM »
Has anyone used this Summit Racing 9000 winch?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-930002/

It is a relabeled T-Max winch (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624784), so has anyone used a T-Max 9000 winch or this one?

I am not looking for b.s. from people how have not used them or seem them used. Relevant info only please. Thank you.

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2010, 04:42:07 AM by KDXSR5 »

GloNDark

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 282
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
I had one on an 87 4runner. It worked fine. It was inexpensive, bolted right up and always worked when I needed it too. I don't have a complaint about it for the price.

We compared it to my buddies Ramsey 9000 and they were very similar in looks, overall quality and pretty darn close to identical in speed while weighted with the rigs. I'm going to buy one for my 88 truck when my tax return rolls around.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,053
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Have you considered the Smittybuilt XRC8?  I think is also a great option and might even be a little less expensive.  Another option might be the Tabor line of Warn winches, but I think the prices are a bit higher.  I picked up a Warn M8000 for about $600 online, so you might consider that if your budget can be stretched a bit more.

I can't say anything good or bad about the T-Max/Summit winch, just providing some other similar options that you may already know about.

:thumbs:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
At www.truckaddons.com the Warm M8000 is listed for $529.99 to my door with insurance.  I'd consider spending the extra money to get the Warn.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
www.truckaddons.com wants 649 for the Tmax 9000
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
I've got the T-max 9k on my 85 and have had no problems. Works when I need.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
www.truckaddons.com wants 649 for the Tmax 9000

I'd give up the extra 1000 lb rating and get the Warn for less money if it were me.

At least if the Warn let's you down you don't have to say, "I should have gotten the Warn."  I've heard that more than once on the trail.

GloNDark

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 282
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
Actually you can get the summit winch right now for $399 and if you have your summit coupons around  you can get even more off of that. For less than $400 the summit winch is a darn good alternative.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I'd give up the extra 1000 lb rating and get the Warn for less money if it were me.

At least if the Warn let's you down you don't have to say, "I should have gotten the Warn."  I've heard that more than once on the trail.

As far as Warns go, the things I have heard about the m8000 are not exactly great, so I think I would be happy with either the Summit one or the m8000. The Summit one just happens to be cheaper this go around. I figure why not take a chance with this one, and if it doesn't work so great, I can use it as a rear winch or a trailer winch or something along those lines.

I really want a 9.5ti, but at 2.5 times the cost of the seemingly decent Summit winch, I simply cannot justify it right now.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
tmax makes the smittybuilt winches

they are a division of westin
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
As far as Warns go, the things I have heard about the m8000 are not exactly great, so I think I would be happy with either the Summit one or the m8000.

Crankycrawler and I are both running M8000 winches and mines worked just fine the two or three times that it has used so I can't say great things from my personal experience beyond that it hasn't failed yet.

I almost purchase the XRC8 and/or XRC10 before I found a price I liked on the M8000.  I'm sure they will all work for limited duty just fine.

PBrown

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
tmax makes the smittybuilt winches

they are a division of westin
           i was wondering why it looks almost identical.  I have the smittybuilt,  no problems so far                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
91 reg cab sas, duals 4.7, 5.29s, detroits, 35s, bunch of marlin debt.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
mines worked just fine the two or three times that it has used so I can't say great things from my personal experience beyond that it hasn't failed yet.

I almost purchase the XRC8 and/or XRC10 before I found a price I liked on the M8000.  I'm sure they will all work for limited duty just fine.

X2.  I've used mine about 4 times now.  Rock solid winch for sure.  I got my M8000 for $520 shipped free with a free wireless winch controller.  I was very close to buying an XRC8 for $299.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=xrc8+winch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12436774908724172546&ei=JpKATPeTDZK1ngfO6ZzxDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ8wIwAA# smittybuilt 292 new free shipping, no tax, this wat i gettin, heard tons o good reviews on it. Only bad thing I hear is that they are a tad on the slow side.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Before you go M8000, or t-max (summit) make sure you look at the line speeds to amps, and other tech specs. I will add the EP 9.0 because its at a similar price point.

Warn M8000- 8000lbs   8.01ft/min   435 amps (8000lbs max)
Best price I can find: $512

Superwinch EP9.0 or EPi9.0- 8,000lbs 7.5ft/min 260amps (9,000lbs 6.4ft/min 350amps)
Best price I can find: $546.01

T-max ATMEW 9000- 8,000lbs 8.2ft/min at 410amps (9,000lbs 7.2ft/min 425amps)
Best price I can find: Can't find jack, and it looks different than the Summit model.

I think I am going for the EP9.0.  My friends has the EPi 9.0 (same thing but with a integrated solenoid) and the thing has performed perfect for the 15ish pulls I have seen it make (including my junk a few times).  He rear ended me with a rack hanging out of my receiver, the 2in square tube went RIGHT through his integrated solenoid. He called up Superwinch, they sent him the parts (on the cheap) he rebuilt it, and has made several pulls since than.  Also, at 8k it is losing a half a ft/min to the M8000. Whoopie.  EVERY TIME I have winched its a slow careful pull. Not balls to the walls winch as fast as you can.  As far as spooling it up when you are done, its faster than the M8000 when it has no load.  Last, the thing pulls way less amps at all loads (I just looked, and the EP9.0 is better on all fields than the XD9000i)

I have another friend that is Warn all the way.  On a roll over recovery his XD9000i stated making some really nasty noises (we were able to finish using his rear warn winch).  He got it home and tore it apart to find some faulty manufacturing (something was assembled wrong).  He is a smart dude, and got it all straightened out and put back together (I am guessing it made 20ish pulls before the defect was found). It now works perfect, and probably will for many many more years to come.  Just goes to show that Warn is not the savior of winches that everyone makes them up to be.

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
The pull speed on the M8000 was plenty fast for me loaded, but they're never fast enough when you're trying to put them away.  It was actually close to my lowest gear in double low if I remember correctly.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Superwinch EP9.0 or EPi9.0- 8,000lbs 7.5ft/min 260amps (9,000lbs 6.4ft/min 350amps)
Best price I can find: $546.01

I think I am going for the EP9.0.

My brother has that same winch on the front of his Jeep.  It's been rock solid the last 3 years and some very heavy pulls up the exit of BV Carnage.  Great winch for sure!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
i took my truck into the thickest mud i could find just to test my xrc8 when i got it and it drug me about 50ft no problem...it was draggin my diffs and all. my axle was like a plow and the mud was just pileing up in front of it.....no complaints from me

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
i took my truck into the thickest mud i could find just to test my xrc8 when i got it and it drug me about 50ft no problem...it was draggin my diffs and all. my axle was like a plow and the mud was just pileing up in front of it.....no complaints from me

Not until next time.  Not sure I'd purposely stress a winch just to see it's limits.

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
heck, it wasnt its limit at all...and ive done probably 10 other pulls since, no problems yet...i just wanted to make sure it worked before i really did need to use it.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
Just went to check the price for the Superwinch EP9.0  WENT UP TO $626.98!!! damn I wish I would have ordered it when I posted all that!

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
Price on the EP9.0 just came down to 537!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I ended up getting the Superwinch EPi9.0 for about $450 from Amazon. I watched it for a couple months and jumped on it when the price dropped for a day or two. I have only used it once so far, but it seems to be awesome.