Author Topic: All-Pro Extreme 5" Lift Kit Impressions  (Read 3115 times)

waskillywabbit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
All-Pro Extreme 5" Lift Kit Impressions
« on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:07:18 PM »
Purchased about 3-5 days before Marlin came out w/ their new kit or I would have gone Marlin.  :hammerhead:  I was thinking Marlin might gain some insight as to things that work for "kits/instructions/support" etc from my experience.  It has been trying...

Just a few thoughts that I can think of on a lazy afternoon for those of you who might care...I will elaborate on all these things in detail on my webiste suspension page once I finish the lift installation.

Most importantly, don't attempt such a lift kit w/o being a very competent mechanic/fabricator.  Since I am not, I incorporated the help of my bud Scott.  He has been invaluable both in welding/fabbing and creative problem solving.

A few things to note:
1) The instructions are slightly helpful, but outdated and have incorrect pictures...use as a guide w/ a bit of salt.  I've gained much greater insight from other websites such as Marlin, POR and different individual's webpages.

2) A new perch kit is NOT included in the kit while referred to specifically in the instructions.  I had to call this week and order this at an additional cost.  While helpful during my call and receiving a free t-shirt and hat, they readily admitted that the website was wrong for the 5" Extreme lift kit, yet they still advertise it, even as of today.  Needless to say I was  :maddest:  :maddest:  :maddest:

3) Three words...shock hoop nightmare.

4) The IFS steering box bracing, tubing included in the kit sucks infinity. :barf: Throw it away and get some 1/4" plate cut for the application.  Sleeving the frame seems to be weaker and harder to do, see Roger Brown's site.  I don't know where my reinforcement plates came from, but they are the best IMO for the application.  Sleeving the frame is PITA and still not strong enough.

5) Numerous OEM bolts are re-used and/or needed for something else, so don't throw anything away.

6) Use Marlin's solid billet steering arms.  All-Pro ones didn't fit right, Marlin's dropped right in.

7) You will need some additional bolting for your shocks as I didn't have enough.

8) While I had everything torn apart, I should have completely rebuilt the front axle, replacing all the bearings, seals, etc. and painting everything, instead of having to go back.

9) Drop the gas tank and weld up the shackle hangers right and start off not moving the rear-rear ones.  I'm gonna give mine a chance to settle and see if they indeed need to move.

10) While all these things are negative, I am generally happy with the outcome of the suspension lift thus far, but the final verdict will be many months down the road.

As I think of other things, I'll add them in comments.

:yupyup:

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: All-Pro Extreme 5" Lift Kit Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:09:13 PM »
If I read this post correctly, you say that you didn't sleeve the frame for the steering box bolts.  I thought the point of sleeving the frame was to keep the frame from crushing when you tighten the bolts and the point of the reinforcement plates were to keep the frame from cracking under the weight of the ifs box.  I did both when I installed my box.

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2004, 06:19:54 AM »
If I read this post correctly, you say that you didn't sleeve the frame for the steering box bolts.  I thought the point of sleeving the frame was to keep the frame from crushing when you tighten the bolts and the point of the reinforcement plates were to keep the frame from cracking under the weight of the ifs box.  I did both when I installed my box.

As you can see in the pic below, I reinforced the frame where the IFS box mounts to the frame w/ 1/4" steel plate on BOTH sides.  Very, very sturdy.  Nothing is going to get crushed or crack.

cebby

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Jan '04
  • 1 to the U to the Z
    • View Profile
    • TOOLandFAB.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2004, 08:06:52 AM »
How strong does it need to be to sit in the driveway? :headscratch:

:moon:
UZswap.com
A site dedicated to sharing info for swapping the Toyota/
Lexus UZ (V8) engines into Toyota Trucks and 4Runners.

My 4Runner
Just some parts for sale - not much else at the moment...

TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

My JD2 Bender Hydro Conversion

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2004, 09:02:47 AM »
i didnt use the shock tower braces, and found out the hard way about not beefing up the frame in the stearing box area, and allpro asked if i wanted the perch kit when i orderd it, the thing that really angerd me was that i waited 3 weeks for my front spring, but overall i think its a  pretty good kit.
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2004, 09:59:34 AM »
How strong does it need to be to sit in the driveway? :headscratch:
 :moon:

:haha:

You are a funny turdbiskit.

81RockerToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Sep '04
  • 'size doesnt matter' -the man with the small truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »
Thats a very clean job waskilly, I just finished my all-pro but must say...I wasnt building it for show.