Author Topic: flat towing advice for a 4 cyl 96 4runner w/ manual trans & manual tc  (Read 6640 times)

sweet trav

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
the main question that I've been trying to find some solid info on is should I disconnect the ds (f & R) or can I just put the tc in neutral along with the tranny.  Any info would be much appreciated and I've heard alot of opinions and am looking for factual data and reasons.  Thanks in advance.  Also, we're leaving from socal this sunday and flat towing up to yosemite and then to lake tahoe.

Thanks,
T

...here's some pics of the setup...

foxtrot89

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
I would say yes, you probably only need to remove the rear, but since im paranoid, i would remove the front also. you don't want all of the gearing turning that fast on the highway. 
1989 Toyota 4runner - 22RE 265xxx miles, 35"tires, 5.29 gears, aussie locker in the rear, marlin 1600 lb clutch, still starts and runs like a charm

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
You don't have to disconnect the front if you have manual hubs.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sweet trav [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
I don't have fmh.  I haven't heard of issues with the gearing but the bearings have been said to not be lubricated probperly during the tow due to the tranny not being engaged.  not sure if this info is accurate though.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I don't have fmh.  I haven't heard of issues with the gearing but the bearings have been said to not be lubricated probperly during the tow due to the tranny not being engaged.  not sure if this info is accurate though.

marlin has stated this clearly, and the rear driveshaft must be disconnected.

From the Pirate Toyota Bible:

Flat Towing a Toyota <-- Must disconnect rear driveline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Crawler
On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is. On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump. Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity. Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case. The rear driveshaft must be removed.
Marlin
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Easiest thing to look at is your owners manual, it will tell you these days. If the manual shows (usually illustrated) that you can tow your truck with the front wheels on the ground then you need only disconnect the rear ds. If it shows that it must be either towed on a flatbed or wheel-lifted & dollies then you will have to disconnect both. Another way to see is if the front ds spins when moving it must be disconnected. Some vehicles only unlock one side of the axles for fuel economy purposes so that the other side still spins.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I just checked my pdf. files and disconnect both ds's or you will damage the trans and t-case. It clearly indicates that it must be either put on a flatbed or wheel-lifted & dollied.

sweet trav [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
I just checked my pdf. files and disconnect both ds's or you will damage the trans and t-case. It clearly indicates that it must be either put on a flatbed or wheel-lifted & dollied.

Thank you for that info and I will disconnect my f&r ds before towing.  I'm guessing I should disconnect where the ds's meet the differentials so the ds's don't turn while being towed.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
differentials and tcase. and store them inside the rig.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

sweet trav [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
just checked and the front ds is disengaged when the tc is in 2H and therefore it shouldn't have to be disconnected if the tranny is in neutral and tc is in 2H while towing...does anyone know about this specifically?  It appears as though by disconnecting the rear ds at the rear diff and strappping it up securely it should be fine and then the front should be fine as long as the tc is in 2H and tranny in neutral during towing...these are just some thoughts after getting under there and checking things out.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
i would honestly completely remove that rear driveshaft, the front should be fine in place as the front axle is vacuum acuated. so without it being in 4wd... its open carrier and should affect anything.

:thumbs:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

sweet trav [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
just curious as to why you would completely remove the rear drive shaft.  just for precautionary measures?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
just curious as to why you would completely remove the rear drive shaft.  just for precautionary measures?

yes, if that drops down on the freeway.... your asking for disaster... it will hit the asphalt at speeds and bounce up and around and do some unwanted damage. its not that hard to remove and should take you 15min max
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I have a hook point on my bed and tie it up. When I don't have the tie point I'll slide the ds off the slip yoke and let the short end hang from the tcase, just make sure to mark them so that you can slide it back exactly as you took it off to avoid throwing it out of balance.  FYI Toyota doesn't say it must be flatbedded or dollied just because they want to they have a reason and it could do damage if you leave the front ds attached. Early models with manual hubs don't show needing to be flatbedded or dollied from the front so there is a reason. It is only 4 bolts each side.

Smithk2ski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
disconnect the rear