Author Topic: How hard is it to rebuild a tranny?  (Read 1459 times)

Sluice Box Hero

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
How hard is it to rebuild a tranny?
« on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:22:12 PM »
well, my tranny is fawked, but i cant really afford another another one.  so far i cant find one for less than marlin sells the rebuild kit, so im looking to rebuilding this one.  am i going to be able to do this swap with common tools?  am i going to need a press?  special tools?  what all does the kit come with?  i am assuming it comes with all new everything, but im not sure.  please help me out here.

Callen
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it to rebuild a tranny?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:13:42 PM »
You'll need a good shop press, a bearing splitter, and a gear puller with LONG arms on it.  At work I use the Toyota SST and it has special adaptors for W, R, G, etc... series trannies.  It can be done with simpler tools, but the  right stuff really makes it go smooth.  I've rebuilt several, and wouldn't really want to do it without the right tools...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

scott.475

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:53:48 PM »
The splitter (sometimes called a bearing separator) and puller can be rented at most rental shops. The press can be replaced with careful use of a brass drift and hammer. When I rebuilt the tranny on my Explorer I took a ton of digitial pics, which really helped when I put it all back together. The only trouble I had was I did not orient the key channels on the sliders with the keys on the inners. Really, there is no magic to it. I used flat pieces of cardboard and labeled each one, like "First/Third", using baggies for the smaller parts, so I wouldn't get any of the components mixed up. It sat on my counter that way for at least a week, and I was still able to get it back together, even though I had never tried something even close to it before. I was too dumb to rent a bearing separator, instead using a mix of cold chisels and screwdrivers...DUMB OF ME. Big risk of dorking op the bearings. Also, you do not want to try to pull the bearings with a puller if you plan on reusing them, because the jaws will bend the outer cage on them.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »
The G54 is one of the easiest trans to rebuild.
To rebuild it without a bearing splitter, press, and feeler gauges would end up chipping gears and deforming the end of shafts.
Please do not use a hammer and beat on the gears, shafts, ect :hammerhead:

If you want to do it yourself, get a factory service manual from e-bay, and plan on spending time learing how to do it.

Above all else, get it clean inside and out, and take special care to check for mainshaft, and 5th gear endplay.
Toyota sells oversize c-clips to properly complete the job.
Attention to the details will ensure a lasting job.

I spend about 6 hours to go complety thur the G trans.

Marlin
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2004, 08:01:52 PM by Marlin »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....