Author Topic: rear steer.  (Read 4506 times)

superyoat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
rear steer.
« on: Jul 12, 2010, 06:30:37 AM »
ok so i a am looking into doing rear steer. i was wondering if there is a kit out there for it. i guess what i mean is i would like to use a toyota steer axle but with the off set of the axle i would need a way to run the drive shaft straight. something like a offset tcase or something along those lines. any ideas?
1985 4runner. 4.3TBI, ford 9" rear w/detroit, toy front w/detroit, longfield shafts, alcan springs, dual cases.

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: rear steer.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »
i would think your best bet would be to build a custom rear axle.  so there is no need for an off set. get a diamond or just build your own. stock rear with front outers. There is a company that makes a kit seen it on pirate4x4. but im not sure on the name of it.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »
ya i know its out there just hard to find. i think i might just use the rear with the front outers. its just alot of work plus then i need to have custom length stafts made.
1985 4runner. 4.3TBI, ford 9" rear w/detroit, toy front w/detroit, longfield shafts, alcan springs, dual cases.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »
ya i know its out there just hard to find. i think i might just use the rear with the front outers. its just alot of work plus then i need to have custom length stafts made.
FROR can help you with the custom shafts. They perfer e-mails over phone calls.

http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
Thanks OOPS. i sent them an email. i quess lets see what happens.

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
ok so in case anybody was wondering it cost $349/pair to have a set of axle shafts cut down to size.from FRORF. i'm thinkin i could do rear steer pretty cheap... but now i gotta 4 link it...$$$$$$$$ haha my wife is gunna kill me.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
buy the wife some flowers and than tell her your going to 4link you rig
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
I used to want to set up rear steer untill I saw it in action.  A guy who comes to our 4x4 trials cometition (kind of like a rock crawling comp)every year runs it on a sweet early bronco looking buggy.  This thing is full on built with a crate motor, atlas t-case and every trick peice of off road jewlery there is... Every year everybody thinks he will wax because of his rear steering, but the truth is he spends so much time messing around with it he does worse than if he didn't have it.  It's cool and trick, don't get me wrong, but I think the practical application of it doesn't pencil out compared to the other mods you can spend your hard earned cash on.

Again, just my opinion based on what I've seen in action.  If you do it I would love to see the write up on it anyway.  Good luck!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
Ya I know what your saying but I can't tell you how many times I've needed to get my rear over 2 feet and have to Jack around for 5 minutes trying to get it over when if I had rear steer I could walk it over and move on

woodfella

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
longs are sick and all......but 2 more??.......in the rear?....idk bro. I have thought about it also but....birfs....ummm....hmm...rear....idk

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
longs are sick and all......but 2 more??.......in the rear?....idk bro. I have thought about it also but....birfs....ummm....hmm...rear....idk
ya I know I thought the same thing. Maybe a half width d60

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
Ya I know what your saying but I can't tell you how many times I've needed to get my rear over 2 feet and have to Jack around for 5 minutes trying to get it over when if I had rear steer I could walk it over and move on

Well hey if you need it you need it.  I always thought it would be cool if you could make it seletable like those big 4WD forklifts so you could set it to crab, opposite or lock the rear all with hydraulics but I'll bet it would be to expensive and crappy on the road...
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
Well hey if you need it you need it.  I always thought it would be cool if you could make it seletable like those big 4WD forklifts so you could set it to crab, opposite or lock the rear all with hydraulics but I'll bet it would be to expensive and crappy on the road...
It is done all the time on rear steer rigs and it is all hydraulics.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

superyoat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
It is done all the time on rear steer rigs and it is all hydraulics.
that's kinda what I thought I don't think you could do rear steer any other way

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »
The guy I know has his rear steer in a joystick type thing he works with his right hand on the consol and it can be locked out. 

What I mean is a system like the forklifts that can work entirely from the steering wheel only it can be set to crab or be opposing to turn on a dime, but either way you are working it only with the steering wheel, no extra stick or control.  Has this been done on a Toyota?
– Steve McQueen

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
The guy I know has his rear steer in a joystick type thing he works with his right hand on the consol and it can be locked out.  

What I mean is a system like the forklifts that can work entirely from the steering wheel only it can be set to crab or be opposing to turn on a dime, but either way you are working it only with the steering wheel, no extra stick or control.  Has this been done on a Toyota?
Depends on the steering control valve.