Author Topic: replacing auto in eagle talon  (Read 1701 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
replacing auto in eagle talon
« on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:24:01 AM »
ok... well my girlfriends bro has a tranny that needs replacing.. the quot is 2500.... it is a 94 eagle talon auto tranny, i have never fooled around with autos or front wheeldrive cars, i figure its pretty streight foward.. i am not an idiot when it comes to cars. i have replaced vw bug trannys and toys, sas ect..... but like i said i dont know much about car, auto trannys.... when you replace the tranny should i replace the tourqe converter? what parts should i replace when doing this?? thanx guys :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: replacing auto in eagle talon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:25:30 AM »
what kind of special tools will i need if i need any at all??

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »
how many miles are on it and what engine
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2004, 05:47:36 PM »
i believe 107k and i think 1.8?? have no idea its not my car... just tryin to save my girls bro some $$ but ya... what kind of thing should i absolutly replace while it is apart? ya know what i mean?? when ur doin a clutch and puttin a new one in either resurface it or get a new one!!?? those kind o things

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:05:53 PM »
tourque converters are expensive and don't really go out unless you have a desil. Front wheel drive cars are a little bit harder than rear wheel drive but they are easy just drop it out the bottom of the car ( in most cases ) you can defintially do it they are kinda set up like a bug tranny ( i have done 3) just in the front with more crossmembers to take off.
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

larryx4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 10:06:01 PM »
i work at a chry jeep eagle dealer as a tech, usually the trannys come with a torque conv, those trannys are pretty straight forward, there are no tricks or special tools, just dont forget to support the engine and FLUSH THE TRANS COOLER (this is probably the most important) sometimes the trans cooler will be plugged, and will cause the tranny to overheat and if so warranty void. if you dont have a trans cooler flush kit use some brake cleaner and blow it through the lines with compressed air. hope this is of some help.

Makohon [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:38:29 AM »
thanx larry, so do you just unbolt the tranny or do u have to unbolt the engine ect ect?? were you talking about supporting the engine by that on the tranny side it is held in place with the engine mounts on the tranny instead of mounted to the engine? you understand what im saying? so have u replaced a talon tranny or just a front wheel drive car? thanx dude :wave:  :beerchug: 

larryx4

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2004, 08:32:31 AM »
when i usually pull trannys at work i support the engine and use a tranny jack to pull trans. due to the engine and trans mounts are usually for both the engine and trans. just drain fluid from trans, remove torque conv bolts, remove axle shafts, remove any related items, remove bell housing bolts, remove trans. and yes i have done trannys on eagle talons auto or manual. its a pretty straight forward job, you should have no problem. :beerchug:  8)