Author Topic: Full hydro or assist?  (Read 1873 times)

atvtrailrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Full hydro or assist?
« on: Jun 23, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
I am gathering all the parts for my SAS conversion and need to decide on steering. I have an '86, I plan on running 37's, lockers front and rear. I will trailer it to the trail most of the time but might drive it if less than an hr to the trail head. Also plan on driving it to work occasionally just for fun. Also running as little lift as possible.

I was going to do hydro assist but now thinking about going full hydro. I wouldn't have to move the ps box or drill it. I wouldn't need a flat pitman arm. I wouldn't need a hi-steer kit.

Some questions:

I wouldn't need a hi-steer kit would I? Or would I just needs the  arms?

Wouldn't I eliminate clearance problems with the frame, engine and steering arms that exist when running as low of lift as possible.

Thanks Much

--
86 Toy Crawler in progress ........
88 4 Runner 4.3 Vortec
85 Toyota Pickup

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: Full hydro or assist?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
if you thinking for driving it at some point than go ram assist if it will see only trailor than go with full hydro. if you run ram assist than you'll need highsteer kit outta curiousity what axles are you going to be using for your sas you staying toyota or going full widths
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

atvtrailrider [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2010, 06:20:22 AM »
if you thinking for driving it at some point than go ram assist if it will see only trailor than go with full hydro. if you run ram assist than you'll need highsteer kit outta curiousity what axles are you going to be using for your sas you staying toyota or going full widths

I am staying with Toyota axles. 

I have heard a number of people say that a properly working full hydro drives just fine on the street, although probably not legal. But the truck probably wont be street "legal" anyhow if a cop wants to be picky that day.
--
88 4 Runner 4.3 Vortec
85 Toyota Pickup

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2010, 07:18:05 AM »
I wouldn't run full hydro on something you drive on the street. It may work fine if it's set up correctly but if something breaks or fails you will have no steering, for that reason I wouldn't run it on the street. On the trail I would preffer full hydro over ram assist.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

atvtrailrider [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
I wouldn't run full hydro on something you drive on the street. It may work fine if it's set up correctly but if something breaks or fails you will have no steering, for that reason I wouldn't run it on the street. On the trail I would preffer full hydro over ram assist.

I have read some posts that you can still turn when motor not running but VERY stiffly.

It almost seems like there is less things to break on a full hydro than on a cross over steering with hydro assist.
--
88 4 Runner 4.3 Vortec
85 Toyota Pickup

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
If you really want to run full hydo go for it. If a line breaks and you don't have a spare you have no steering, that's why I said what I said.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:11:42 AM »
If you go full hydro. make sure you get a double ended ram. they steer alot better then a single. And they react better. as far as steering if it brakes. im sure you can but you have to turn the wheel very slow and its stiff. I see no problem with running full hydro on the street. i would do it but wouldnt drive to far. or be going down the free way much.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs