Author Topic: N. CA: 1999 Tacoma x-cab 4x4 $6k SOLD!!! PLEASE DELETE  (Read 2335 times)

LilJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
N. CA: 1999 Tacoma x-cab 4x4 $6k SOLD!!! PLEASE DELETE
« on: Jun 12, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Selling 1999 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4. It is SR5 package with 3.4L engine and manual transmission. White with tan/oak interior.

If you are looking for a 30k mile grandma driven truck for $2k, you are in the wrong ad. This was used as a truck as well as wheeled.

I am the original owner and have the original window sticker. It has under 140k miles on it. I'm doing this mainly from memory so if you have a specific area of concern that you do not see covered, please ask and it will be answered.

Standard list of original equipment:
PS, AC, tilt wheel, cruise control, AM/FM/Tape/CD Changer, rear window slider, 60/40 split bench seat.

The good:
- Fresh Maaco paint job to fix dent on passenger side of roof. Also to fix flash rust issue on top of cab and hood. Picture of rust before paint available.
- Timing belt done around 105k miles. Receipt available.
- Windshield replaced
- Brakes done at 130k miles. Turned rotors and drums
- Comes with two pairs of unused snow chains
- CV boots were in good shape
- battery approximately 2 years old
- just rocked smog at end of Sept
- reg paid up through Sept of 2010

The indifferent:
- Bed is not one that I bought the truck with. The original bed had a loose axle punch holes in the inner fenders. I replaced the bed with a flat bed and used that for several years. I recently replaced that bed with a "new" bed that had fiberglass fenders on it... fiberglass is not perfectly installed. The inside of the bed was herculined.
- Clutch was replaced at around 70k due to a squealling throwout bearing.
- The rims are not the ones I bought the truck with. They are factory alloy rims for that year and while have no major "rock rash", they can't be classified as perfect either. 15" with 31" BFG Mud Terrains. The tires have about 35k on them and come with America's Tire company warranty. They are at
- It has homemade bumpers and sliders/steps. They are bolt on and easily replaced/removed.
- The interior is in relatively good condition. No smoking in the truck. Misc scratches here and there with one tear on the back side of the seat.
-ALMOST a victim of catalytic converter theft in Oct 2009. They were not able to unbolt it all the way. I have since put new bolts in, welded the bolts, and added some 1/4" rod on the exhaust pipe
-The frame has been checked. It was checked May of 2009 at Maita Toyota. Surface rust but good otherwise.

The bad:
- The transmission on occasion has a problem going into first and reverse. Double or tripple clutching usually solves the issue. I'm not 100% convinced it isn't because of the clutch.
- Shocks are probably shot. It doesn't bounce excessively but it does show signs of going bad.
- The rear window was replaced after one of the sliding windows blew out. The slider is difficult to open at best. Poorly installed so it does leak air out but no water in.
- CD changer: died a horrible death after 8 years of continual use ~ $100 to repair
- gas door is not mounted because catch was broken and cylinder isn’t keyed to the rest of the vehicle. I do have the gas door available. It is just not mounted.

If it isn't mentioned above, it hasn't been replaced.

The tires are all but one at 11/32". The one is at 10/32". I don't have an official what they start at but the numbers I've seen are 17-20/32".

This is ready for any long trips you might have. During xmas, I made a trip to Colorado with no issues and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The gas mileage has been very sporadic. During my trip to Colorado, I averaged everywhere from 15mpg to 20mpg with the load or speed not making any notable difference.

The truck is located in the Sacramento area but makes trips down to the southern SF Bay Area quite frequently.

I would like to get $6000 but open to reasonable offers. I might consider about $3000 worth of trade toward the $6000. I do not want any non-running projects.

I'm getting rid of this because my project FJ55 is finished and I have no need for the Tacoma anymore. Pictures will be forthcoming later today/this week.

LOTS of pictures at:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893422
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 07:21:26 PM by LilJohn »

LilJohn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: N. CA: 1999 Tacoma x-cab 4x4 $6k
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »
I'll delete this ad once the Tacoma sells.  So if you see this ad, yes it is available :thumbs:

On the trades, tools are also acceptable :gap:

LilJohn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »
Aamco wasn't able to reproduce the issue. But by my description, they are "firmly" convinced it is hydraulic and NOT the transmission(syncros)

They found no leaks and the trans was full.

I did a visual check on the rubber line in the circuit and it appeared to be in good condition(ie no hose expansion causing the issue)

I will not discount that I may not be fully pushing the pedal to the carpet. I will try bleeding it.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2010, 11:19:16 AM by LilJohn »

LilJohn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
Fluid looked like hell.  I changed out the fluid and bleed.  When popping the old fluid out, an air bubble or two showed up.

I won't say the trans issue is fully solved if indeed there is an issue.  But since the bleed job and making a VERY conscious effort to push pedal to the floor, I haven't seen the issue pop up.

LilJohn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
Well, 15 year run of good luck ran out and I was in a small fender bender.  Lens broke but that was it.  Bumper did NOT move. I was not moving, other vehicle was doing 5-10mph.  See picture for damage.  Should be replaced Tues July 6.