Author Topic: Poor Man's Twin Stick  (Read 9840 times)

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Poor Man's Twin Stick
« on: Jun 10, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
In case anybody is interested, here are some pics of my twin stick setup using one shift rail and shifter from a top shift T-case and one rail and shifter from a forward shift T-case.

I read an old post that mentioned it could be done and I thought it was a good idea. I am rebuilding and swapping in a forward shift R151F in place of my top shift W56. I had the parts so I gave it a try.

I used key stock to weld across the open end of the shift rails in 1st pic.

2nd pic shows it installed. I also knocked out the leaky stock trans vent, tapped it to 1/4"NPT and installed a hose to the engine bay firewall.

3rd pic showing shifter orientation. I made a cut in the rear shifter opposite where I wanted a bend, bent it to where I wanted it and welded the cut closed.

Last pic is my Frankensteined together shifter boot plate and boots. I got another stock boot and plate setup from another truck and combined the two.

Interlock pin has to be out just like any other twin stick. I also had to clearance the top shift linkage to clear my 4.7 gears. It works good and its factory Toyota parts

Adding a pic of the installed boots.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2010, 01:44:33 PM by 2manytoys »
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Man's Twin Stick
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2010, 01:32:12 AM »
That's pretty cool. Good job figuring it out.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2010, 05:52:21 AM »
So this only works in a single case aplication?
Good job by the way, looks good.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
x3
i love oregon wheelin.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »
I have 4.7s in a single case and I am perfectly happy with the gearing, but it would be nice to have the twin stick capability to go to 2Lo. I have plenty of parts... I think I might do this before I put my setup back together.  Good trick.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »
Nice bud. That looks great. I will soon be figuring out a new setup, triple stick.

So this only works in a single case aplication?

The middle shifter is high/neu.low and the rear is 2wd/4wd. So the rear shifter would just end up a little further back and top shifting the rear case instead.
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
Dang, i just spent some time looking at my tranny case's and adapter. You got my mind rollin 2many, thanks

So in you second pic you 2wd/4wd stick is a top shift.

What i have come up with in my head is a:
     forward shift high low for the front case,
     top shift high low for the rear case,
     and forward shift  2wd/4wd from the rear case through the adapter to the front case top shift hole.

dang, did that make sense, it would be your poor man's dual case twin. damn, will my truck even accept 4 shifters in a row 2 feet long.

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
Sorry for the highjack, my idear wunt werk. You would need a 13 inch long 2wd/4wd shift rail (addition of dual adapter length)

Any way, still like your setup, good job mate

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
My buddy minicrawlin has this setup in his rig.  Its been like that for a couple years I think.  So its been around, but not many people do it. Pretty slick setup though
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »
very interesting.   
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2010, 08:33:32 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. I can't take credit for the idea though, I found it when I was searching for info on my T-case interlock pin.

I just thought somebody out there might want to do this and could use the pics as a guide. I have taken a lot from this forum, so I will contribute whenever I can.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
2manytoys,

few questions:
1. is the middle shifter and the rail still from a forward shifting tcase? and the rear shifter and its rail is from a top-shift tcase?
2. are both of the tcase shifters bent to operate properly (so as not to interfere)
3. so this is you transplanted r151f tranny and not the w56? and their tcase are interchangeable?

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2010, 09:10:31 AM by hi on lux »

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
Mmmm151f :cool:
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »
hi on lux,

1. Yes on the linkage. The middle shifter is High N  Low. I could have used the opposite linkage and it would have controlled Forward -  Rev. I just happend to set it up this way. Technically I can use the other two rails I have left and do another twin stick setup.

2. No, I only bent the rear shifter. It interfered when in the original position, so I flipped it 180 and bent it slightly to where I liked it. The other shifters are R150 shifters in stock location. I didn't get shifters with my R151F and Marlin told me R150's were the same if I just flipped the trans shifter base 180.

3. Yes this is my transplanted R151F. I sold my W56B to pay for my 151 rebuild parts but I kept my T-case in case I wanted to go with a dual case setup. The T-cases are both the same except one had top shift linkage and a 21 spline input shaft. The other had 23 spline input, forward shift linkage, and a cover over the top shift linkage hole. The 4 cyl T-cases are basically the same.

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »
@2manytoys

if I have a forward shifting tcase, and would do this"poor man's twinstick".... what I should look for is a topshift tcase shifter and a topshift rail?  where did you got this  key stock?

thanks

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2010, 03:03:00 AM »
hi on lux,

You need the top shift shifter, the rail, and the block. Not just the rail itself.

If you use the passenger side rail, all that is needed is the rail and the shift block. The shift fork for this rail is the same for both style T-cases. What you see in my pics is all I changed.

This just happens to be the way I did it. Forward shift rail on the drivers side, topshift on the passenger side.

It can be done just the opposite if thats the parts you have. Either way will work.

The key stock can be found at most hardware stores. Its hardened steel stock often used in the groove of motor shafts so a pulley or sprocket doesn't spin on the shaft. It comes in different lengths and sizes.

I don't remember what size I used. It was the same thickness as the linkage and long enough to cover the opening, yet short enough to get a weld on each end.

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2010, 01:19:19 PM »
Thats sweet... I may end up going to something like that on my daily driver.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2010, 04:39:23 AM »
hi on lux,

You need the top shift shifter, the rail, and the block. Not just the rail itself.

If you use the passenger side rail, all that is needed is the rail and the shift block. The shift fork for this rail is the same for both style T-cases. What you see in my pics is all I changed.

This just happens to be the way I did it. Forward shift rail on the drivers side, topshift on the passenger side.

It can be done just the opposite if thats the parts you have. Either way will work.

The key stock can be found at most hardware stores. Its hardened steel stock often used in the groove of motor shafts so a pulley or sprocket doesn't spin on the shaft. It comes in different lengths and sizes.

I don't remember what size I used. It was the same thickness as the linkage and long enough to cover the opening, yet short enough to get a weld on each end.

IS the "the BLOCK" in the first photo of the 1st post ?

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »
oops!

it's not in the 1st pic, 1st post.

anyway, on the 2nd pic, there is a slot on the passenger rail where the top shifter is inserted, correct?

that's where the parts in the 1st pic went?

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »
Correct. The slot is formed by the key stock welded on the linkage. The 1st pic just shows the top shift and forward shift parts I used.

The key stock is partially welded on the "block" (I don't know the proper term) The key stock is just placed near the forward shift part where it needs to be welded on.