Author Topic: Toyota Machine Shop recommendations (Portland)  (Read 7146 times)

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
Toyota Machine Shop recommendations (Portland)
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:31 PM »
Hey everyone, Im i need of machine shop, hopefully one that has knowledge of 22 series engines. I'm 90% sure i spun a rod this weekend and need to start getting some things in order so i can  :driving: again.

I know ENG Builder is local with parts but wasn't sure if he does machine work. I'll be getting in touch with him but curious if anyone has experience with him machining (not parts, i already like them for that) if he does do that.

Anyone else out there?

Im in Portland but don't have much problem traveling (Mil, Gresh, Beav, Couv?) for someone that will do me great work.

Thanks fellas  :beer:
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Machine Shop recommendations (Portland)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
engbldr is an engine builder lol....

BUT i have had more than one friend local here use Oregon engine rebuilders

http://oregonengines.net/

Oregon Engine Rebuilders was established in 1983 and remanufactures all types of engines for automotive, light truck, industrial and marine applications. Our car and light truck engines come with a LIFE TIME UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTEE to the original buyer. As long as you own your vehicle, we will stand behind our product. If you have any problem with the motor, just return it to our shop and we will repair it free of charge, as long as it has not been abused, no matter how many miles have been put on it! This kind of offer is unheard of in the industry and the only exception is industrial, commercial or marine units.

havent heard anything bad about them either....

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
BTW... why do you think you spun a rod... yea got a knock or?

Tillamook, OR

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
Yea, theres a knock, I can hear a main or rod bearing whistling at me. Also engine starts to die when clutch is pressed (thrust bearing).

I forgot about OER in sandy, thanks for the heads up. I've got good options, been thinking about some LCE internals here and there. I'm anxious to get my block out and see whats up. It's not old enough to be worn out, i'm pretty sure i have an oiling problem somewhere.

I figured eng bldr did machine work but on my quick view of his site for parts, machining didn't really pop out but i looked again and found that last night.

I swept and washed my street so work can begin

woodfella

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
Pardon me, I dont mean to pry but why dont ya swap to a 2/3rz?  I made the switch and MAN am I happy :hammerhead: :yikes: :yesnod: :thumbs: It's not that hard

woodfella

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »
Also, just yesterday I saw one at the pnp for 7-800  (depending on how well you deal) for thw whole swap package. Oh...and the truck only has 14000 on it. :shocking:

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
stay away from the guy on craigs list that advertises rebuilt motors cheap- hes a scam

man i hate to see a dude working in the street, i been there.
you want to tow it up here? i have a shop and air tools, and an engine stand you can use, and a crane.im happy to help you do the work when im home-call me if you want

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
x2...working on the street sucks...  it looks like you got some crazy parking at your place too lol....

I spun my 2nd and 3rd rod bearings and it started off with a slight knock on accel... and turned into a deafaning bang bang bang that gave me no power lol... i ended up having absolutely no bearing left in my 3rd rod and just a spun bearing in my second...AND my aftermarket gauge still showed oil pressure, GOOD oil pressure lol... 

Tillamook, OR

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
I have thought of a rz upgrade. Recently i was told thats its a 50/50 chance of getting a good or :pokinit: 3rz. Not abused, but an under powered 3rz from the factory. But still really like the idea. Also thoughts of a 5ze.

Which Pnp? cause your getting me interested.

And thanks for the heads up on the scam, I don't plan on doing anything like that. I would more than likely build something myself (that way i can kick the builders butt when it breaks). But if looking for a short block i would probably talk to engbuilder on sandy or oregon rebuilders in sandy.

Working on the street ain't so bad. It builds character or something. Sure you gotta deal with the rain, and dirt, and slope, and cars driving by kick up more dirt. Come to think of it, I shoulda left it in the woods and rebuilt it there. At least thats clean dirt and the background noise is a river. But everything i've ever done to this truck was in the street, diffs, trannies, motor work. Sometimes its hard to change tradition.

But honestly thanks for the thought, i do have a couple garages i could bring it to when the time comes.

Across the street from my house is a little used car dealer, just street parking for the rest of us. He's always amazed by what i do to my truck in the street.

DoveGray85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
When I checked with Todd at Enginbldr, he said he wasn't taking any machine shop work. He said he was swamped.

I used EastCo in Gresham for the machine work on my 22re. Todd recommended them to me.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't use Oregon Engine Rebuilders.  I called them and they were a joke.  Plus, I have friends that have been burnt by them.  When I was looking for a engine, I called everybody I could find in Portland, this was before I remembered a guy locally.  :smack:  But most of them were shady, couldn't give me a straight answer, or gave me the run around.  Plus if they gave you any sort of warranty, they had to do the install and break in on the motor, or you had to take it to a ASE certified mechanic and have them do the work.  And then have them fill out a 20 page warranty paper with all the specs of what they did. 

But I did call Tedd, wonderful guy to talk to.  I'd love to see him and Marlin in the same room together.  :yesnod:  And he recommended a couple of places, his son does all the work and is always swamped.  And one place I was looking at pretty seriously, was B&M Engines.  http://www.bnmengines.com/  And this was before I remembered my old kraut Dieter, who gave me a no questions asked warranty, even if I did the install.  :thumbs: :biggthumpup: :willynilly: 

I would definitely take up Dan's offer on using his shop.  Dan is the man, plus you can drool over his Runner!!  :drool:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I went

and couldn't be happier, Thought id follow up