Author Topic: 22R valve cover leak  (Read 11695 times)

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
22R valve cover leak
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »
83' 22R
My valve cover leaks a bunch out the rear center where the rubber half circle plug sits.
Everything is new, came in a set.
The plug does not want to go all the way down to sit flush with the surface and tightening the cover nuts does not crush it down far enough. Anyone else had this problem with replacements and what did you do? I didn't want to use sealant but may have to.
Thanks for any advice.

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: 22R valve cover leak
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
The gasket is leaking? Get a new one from toyota. or if its just the plug for the top of the valve cover get a new one. was any of the old gasket left on there?
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:07:55 AM »
Do you have the wrong studs on the rockers?  Some are cut to bottom out earlier than others, maybe you swapped them at some point and it's not allowing the cover to bolt down all the way.  Otherwise I'd think you don't have it in there square.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:35:50 AM »
New valve cover gasget and new rubber inserts for the cover studs. It is not leaking from the new gasget or the stud grommets but from the rubber half circle insert at the back of the head and it's new.
Everything was clean, no residue at all. I've changed this thing out a couple of times and can't get it to stop leaking from the rear at that rubber insert. Really a pretty healthy leak too, can't drive it or I'll loose all my oil. The studs allow the cover to seat well, it's just leaking at that insert, well not really leaking but running out once warmed up.
I'm going out this morning and give it another try.
Thanks guys.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:05:43 PM »
Add RTV to the groove in the half-moon plug...............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Thats what I ended up doing, didn't want the mess next time I take it off but at least the leak and the mess is stopped. Thanks

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »
I think you completely missed what I was saying.  If your nuts bottom out on your studs before the rear half moon is squished down, it'll never seal. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:13:04 AM »
I think you completely missed what I was saying.  If your nuts bottom out on your studs before the rear half moon is squished down, it'll never seal. 

I 2nd that. Thats why I asked my first questions. Some people just don't take the time to read.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:08:06 AM »
(Some people just don't take the time to read.)  And just how did you surmise that, Vulcan mind probe perhaps??  :rofl2:

I did take the time to read the messages. The nuts were not bottomed out, that was not the problem. The problem is the half circle rubber is too big for the seat and stays above the sealing surface of the head. Much RTV and it finally sealed. Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:14:48 AM by David »

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
I hope for your sake it doesn't leak, but dollars to donuts it's gonna leak like any bandaid will.  The half moons always stick up just a little but compress, unless you don't line up the inside and outside lip, in which case they don't seat. 

If you're comfortable with your bandaid that's cool, but I strongly suggest you remove it and figure out just why it's not fully seating, since there is a reason and it's probably a simple one  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »
Thank you for that advice and I'm going to heed it because I'm not happy with the bandaid either.  I bought a Toyota cover gasget and it was the wrong one so I used a Fel-Pro set instead of making the long trip to the dealer again, not a great choice. I'm going back to Toyota and get a replacement gasget and another set of half moons and some alt brushes.
Thanks again for the advice guys.

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:24 PM »
welcome I was not trying to be rude. I just don't have the skils to think things out right like others and go in to full detail of it. To much pirate and honda-tech bs for me. I need to learn to be nicer. I'm sorry.
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
Hey fade, thank you but no need to apologize for anything you said it was no big deal. It would take considerably more than a small comment to rile me up. I was just poke'n fun with the Vulcan comment, it's all good.
Dave

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 01:26:58 AM »
I'm going back to Toyota and get a replacement gasget and another set of half moons and some alt brushes.

Excellent call, best $10-15 you'll spend at the dealer!  Hardest part of the swap is pulling the alt out.  I'm always a little irritated when I hear of people buying a kragen/autozone alternator, then crying when it craps out prematurely.
RIP KYOTA

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 05:24:22 PM »
For an extra few bucks at the dealer you can pick up some starter contacts as well

Beateryota666

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
did you check and make sure there were no cracks up the back of the valve cover?if you cranked on it in an attempt to seal the leak its possible to have cracked the cover.just an idea.best of luck

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
I'd have to think if you cranked down on the nuts that hard they'd bottom out on the studs far before cracking the cover, and the weak point on the cover would likely be right around the nuts.
RIP KYOTA

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
For an extra few bucks at the dealer you can pick up some starter contacts as well

Yeah ive pulled out 3 NEW kragen alts , to install used toyota ones with new brushes. People think im crazy. Never had a prob yet, had plenty of problems with kragen starters and alternators tho....
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Problem was solved with a new gasget set from the Toyota dealer. I did check for cracks and found none. I guess that is a lesson learned, don't scrimp on Yota stuff, buy the best first and be done with it.
Thanks for all the advice you guys threw my way. (: