Author Topic: how do you determine if your rear axle is 2.5" or 3.75" ???  (Read 3200 times)

PastorKerry

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Apr '10
  • making the most of every opportunity
    • View Profile
    • Motorsports Squared (use "kmack5" for your discount at checkout)
I am looking at adding a block kit to the rear end just to level my 1986 4runner that is bone stock.

how do I determine if the rear axle is 2.5" or 3.75"

Appears that most kits are for either a 2.5" or 3.75" rear axle... that is on the Tuff Country website.

Pastor Kerry

http://www.visionxstore.com/ (use "kmack5" for your 5% discount at checkout)

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
tape measure
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I don't like block lifts, it creates spring wrap that will just cause increased stress on the springs, ujoints, etc., etc. If you do go with one make sure you get a steel set, the aluminum blocks will wear from the torque and loosen in short order. A shackle lift which is easier and just as cheap would be your best option until you can get a better set of springs. It is fairly common for 4Runners to sag due to the extra pounds they carry with the top. Now I have had a truck with blocks before but I bought it that way and I did feel the difference over a rig without. I think they are refering to the block thickness as to the 2.5 or 3.5. You can pick those up at any 4x4 shop, 4 Wheel Parts is in Compton not to far from you on the 91 and Wilmington.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:30:37 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Lift blocks are designed for lifting a vehicle, not resolving sagging springs, same for extended shackles.  The best thing to do will be to rebuild them, and you will get a much better ride by adding another main leaf than going w/blocks or a shackle.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Kerry, its very easy to add a leaf to your spring packs.  do you have basic hand tools??  4 inch grinder??  if so you can easily install a long leaf to your packs,  you can easily get some from ruff country and many other vendors but make sure they are LONG leaves,  personally i much prefer getting some springs from the junk yard.  either some toyota springs or 2wd chevy S10 springs or 2wd F150 springs basically any leaf spring set thats 2 1/2 inches wide and has good arch to them,  many "add a leaf" kits are short very thick leaves that end up bending the original springs,  using the longest leaf you can find will offer a better ride and more lift.   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

PastorKerry [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tip.  I'll look into the cost of rebuilding a set of springs as well as adding a leaf.

Thanks!

Lift blocks are designed for lifting a vehicle, not resolving sagging springs, same for extended shackles.  The best thing to do will be to rebuild them, and you will get a much better ride by adding another main leaf than going w/blocks or a shackle.
Pastor Kerry

PastorKerry [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Really good insight.  Yes, I have basic hand tools, grinder, compressor, impact wrenches, etc...  Just don't have a welder or cutting torch.... YET... Looking for a good mig welder and torch.

I'll find a local junk yard and look for "yota springs or 2wd chevy S10 springs or 2wd F150"

How long of a leaf am I looking for?
And where in the pack does it go? top, middle, lower???

Several others had mentioned fabbing up a couple of shackles 9" long with holes 7" between bolts.  So I fabbed those up today... Now I am thinking I might not put them on after reading a few of the newer posts.

The shackles that are on there are not the originals.  They are 4" between bolts, but it looks like they were made from a cut of old spring.  1/4" x 2 1/2" x 6"  They are 2 pieces and are not welded together.  The bolt pattern looks to be stock distance between bolts at 4"...  and the bolts look to be 1/2" threaded bolts.

Kerry, its very easy to add a leaf to your spring packs.  do you have basic hand tools??  4 inch grinder??  if so you can easily install a long leaf to your packs,  you can easily get some from ruff country and many other vendors but make sure they are LONG leaves,  personally i much prefer getting some springs from the junk yard.  either some toyota springs or 2wd chevy S10 springs or 2wd F150 springs basically any leaf spring set thats 2 1/2 inches wide and has good arch to them,  many "add a leaf" kits are short very thick leaves that end up bending the original springs,  using the longest leaf you can find will offer a better ride and more lift.   
Pastor Kerry

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Sure you could add another leaf to the pack, which is basically doing the same as any stop-gap measure, in the end the only real cure would be to replace the fatigued springs with a new set. Even having springs re-ached will weaken them causing failure in the future. If they were not old and fatigued I would suggest adding leafs but a fatigued set will only fail in the future. It's a crap-shoot with any of the fixes on fatigued springs but the easiest, least expensive, least work, and quickest is a shackle lift. Now if he decides to go that route and add a leaf he needs to remove the flat load leaf and replace it with a long load leaf this will help to avoid a harsh ride.

PastorKerry [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Ok... thanks... Well I think I'll try inserting these shackles I fabbed up today and see what it looks like.

Really wanting to save as much as I can for a SAS and all the trimmings later this year.

Sure you could add another leaf to the pack, which is basically doing the same as any stop-gap measure, in the end the only real cure would be to replace the fatigued springs with a new set. Even having springs re-ached will weaken them causing failure in the future. If they were not old and fatigued I would suggest adding leafs but a fatigued set will only fail in the future. It's a crap-shoot with any of the fixes on fatigued springs but the easiest, least expensive, least work, and quickest is a shackle lift. Now if he decides to go that route and add a leaf he needs to remove the flat load leaf and replace it with a long load leaf this will help to avoid a harsh ride.
Pastor Kerry

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I got the feeling it was just a temporary fix for later and bigger mods, all the more reason to slap on some shackles and move on.