Author Topic: Tis the season, BBQ anyone?  (Read 143386 times)

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Re: Tis the season, BBQ anyone?
« Reply #60 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
Im doing a bacon wrapped pork loin on sunday. Should be good. Ive never slow cooked a loin ne advice on times and temps.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »
Seasonings most definately make or break a steak.  I JUST ran out of my favorite, KC masterpiece bbq seasoning rub, and had to use something cause I just bought two center cut beef sirloin tips steaks and needed something.  I had weber gourmet burger and mccormick roasted garlic and herb.  The latter came out better but, neither complimented the steaks as well as the kc stuff.  The meat turned out pretty good but, then again, I prefer a more marbled cut like a chuck steak, there's just more natural flavor from the fat!

I can't just use a rub either, have to throw on some salt, pepper, and seasoning salt to help out.  I need to find a different seasoning salt to use, then I think I'll get a little shaker can and mix up my own rub so it's always on tap and ready to go  :licklips:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
From Webber? For some reason Im thinking I see that all the time?

It was from Spice Island brand.  But I've found another brand, and it just doesn't come close. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Apr 17, 2010, 11:30:31 PM »
Seasonings most definately make or break a steak.  I JUST ran out of my favorite, KC masterpiece bbq seasoning rub, and had to use something cause I just bought two center cut beef sirloin tips steaks and needed something.  I had weber gourmet burger and mccormick roasted garlic and herb.  The latter came out better but, neither complimented the steaks as well as the kc stuff.  The meat turned out pretty good but, then again, I prefer a more marbled cut like a chuck steak, there's just more natural flavor from the fat!

I can't just use a rub either, have to throw on some salt, pepper, and seasoning salt to help out.  I need to find a different seasoning salt to use, then I think I'll get a little shaker can and mix up my own rub so it's always on tap and ready to go  :licklips:
All you need on a steak is sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and a *little* bit of garlic and crushed red pepper on a high heat grill.  With the right meat, all that other stuff is just fluff.  Get you a good, thick, center cut, choice ribeye and you'll never want a chuck steak again.
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Apr 18, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
All you need on a steak is sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and a *little* bit of garlic and crushed red pepper on a high heat grill.  With the right meat, all that other stuff is just fluff.  Get you a good, thick, center cut, choice ribeye and you'll never want a chuck steak again.

Agreed.  I grilled up some ribeyes yesterday, all I had on it was fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt.  One of the best steaks I've had in a long time. 

I just grilled up some beer brats for dinner today.  Nice side of baked beans as well.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Apr 18, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
I'm poor, I eat crap cuts and like em  :gap:  I actually really like chuck but, there's only one place in town that has consistently good chucks.  I don't kill the steak like I've seen others do, you can actually see meat when I'm done.  Plus, you have to remember that everybody has different tastes, there is no "all you need" for steak seasoning.  Otherwise there would just be one type of steak seasoning called "steak seasoning", which would come with specific instructions for exactly how much to put on  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Apr 18, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
Just picked up the Char griller duo today! :woohoo:  I'm really stoked about it, got the smoker box as well.  Probably won't be able to put it together until friday, but I'm stoked just the same.

FYI, for anyone that is interested, Lowe's in Vacaville CA had them on sale for 199.00.  They sold out, but if you get the printout online, Lowe's pricematches at their stores.  I was able to pick one up in Reno for that price.  The sale does end tommorow, so you gotta move fast.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Apr 18, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »
there is no "all you need" for steak seasoning.

Oh, there is.  Some people try to say there isn't, then I tune out when they start saying something about diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks or some such BS.  Then I tune back in and say all they need is salt, pepper and a *little* bit of garlic and crushed red pepper on a high heat grill.  Then I hook up my grill and smoker to my high horse and ride away into the sunset, with a hearty, fading farewell of "salt and pepper are all yooooouuuu neeeeeeed on your steeeeeeaaaaakkkkk" as I fade into the horizon.  :rofl2:
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Apr 18, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
:spit:  touche
RIP KYOTA

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Apr 19, 2010, 02:07:18 PM »
Get you a good, thick, center cut, choice ribeye and you'll never want a chuck steak again.
     :yesnod:

As for chicken I like weber's "kickin' chicken"    I'm not a fan of their steak and burger seasoning....

I've got another BBQ sauce in the works, i'll post up once I get it close!

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Apr 19, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
If you are poor a Sirloin is a decent cut of meat for the grill too. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Apr 19, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
So has anyone ever made pickles?   

I've got a co-worker that swears he makes the best pickle you've ever tasted so i'm on a mission to make home made pickles now.

We're hopefully gonna start pickling some this weekend.

Anyone wanna share some recipes for DY-NO-MITE pickles?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Apr 21, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »
So has anyone ever made pickles?   

I've got a co-worker that swears he makes the best pickle you've ever tasted so i'm on a mission to make home made pickles now.

We're hopefully gonna start pickling some this weekend.

Anyone wanna share some recipes for DY-NO-MITE pickles?

Actually I grew a bunch of pickling cucumbers last year but never got around to pickling any of them lol. I just bought a great gardening book with a bunch of chapters on canning, so if I grow anything this year (unlikely) I will let you know how it goes Shamb.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Apr 30, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
BBQ's some ribs the other day, turned out great.. still experimenting.. havn't had a chance to try the sake glaze yet.

i went to bed bath and beyond yesterday looking at the thermometers.. the $20 white one specifically says dont use on BBQ  ? ? ?  ...

they have a $40 thermometer that's intended for BBQ that has a wire mesh insulated probe.

I dunno if i wanna spend $40 on a thermometer though

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Apr 30, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
So i've been toying with the idea of actually opening up a restaurant. Something small mainly BBQ and Burger's... because in this town there isn't any good BBQ or burger for that matter...

This wouldn't happen until my wife finished school and started in her career.

For the mean time just to get a feeler as to how well people would like my food i'm thinking about doing a catering business... small.. something on the side that I could handle on the weekends.

anyone have any experience with owning their own catering business?   

I have a co-worker who wife's parents own a very popular mexican restaurant in the area so I may pick his brain a little about the subject...

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
After hitting about 8 different grocery stores I finally found my seasoning down to the wally world  :woohoo:  Snagged 4 of them, don't want to have to look any time soon!

Shane, if you do that just make sure the wife can carry you.  That type of place pops up around here every now and then and are always busy at first, then tank shortly after.  Maybe cause there are too many eating establishments here already, or maybe cause they rarely pop up in a good location, but they always tank.
RIP KYOTA

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »
After hitting about 8 different grocery stores I finally found my seasoning down to the wally world  :woohoo:  Snagged 4 of them, don't want to have to look any time soon!

Shane, if you do that just make sure the wife can carry you.  That type of place pops up around here every now and then and are always busy at first, then tank shortly after.  Maybe cause there are too many eating establishments here already, or maybe cause they rarely pop up in a good location, but they always tank.

Yea that's the main reason for waiting until my wife's done with school. So we're not expecting to make money off the business... that's pretty much a given. Her dad (my father-inlaw)  owns his own business and it's really hit or miss sometimes.

So we'll see.... I just found out we have three different BBQ joints in town.. I thought we only had one.. I've tried the one and it's "decent"  really expensive for a hole in the wall.. and their NEVER open... I'm going to try the other two this week and see how they stack up.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
Yea that's the main reason for waiting until my wife's done with school. So we're not expecting to make money off the business... that's pretty much a given. Her dad (my father-inlaw)  owns his own business and it's really hit or miss sometimes.

So we'll see.... I just found out we have three different BBQ joints in town.. I thought we only had one.. I've tried the one and it's "decent"  really expensive for a hole in the wall.. and their NEVER open... I'm going to try the other two this week and see how they stack up.

Another thing I've seen businesses do to cause them to fail is go too big too fast.  They start out with a base menu, then expand the menu too quickly, so the quality of the food across the board goes down. 
If you do get a resturant going, I'd say to find a few dishes you're good at, and a few sides, and stick to those for a good long time.  Then, as you establish your "street cred" slowly start expanding the menu.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »
Or leave the menu small.  Seems like one of the big factors in food quality and consistency decline in so many places chef ramsey goes to.  You obviously don't want a rib joint that only sells ribs, but there's not much sense in offering a large selection when dealing with such a specific style of cooking  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »
Or leave the menu small. 
That can work well, sometimes even on a large-scale operation *cough* In-N-Out *cough*.   :yesnod:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
Excellent point!  I sometimes struggle to make decisions when presented with too many choices, and I hear the same sentiment echoed by others all the time.  In n out does one thing well, incredibly well  :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2010, 12:33:02 AM »
The key to restaurant success can be summed up in two words, "Liquer license"
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Sway

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
Not BBQ but made these for the Sharks game :beerchug:

Not sick, but not well.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
I make something similar Sway but I wrap them in bacon w/ cajun cream cheese. mmmm.....

Another thing I've seen businesses do to cause them to fail is go too big too fast.  They start out with a base menu, then expand the menu too quickly, so the quality of the food across the board goes down.  
If you do get a resturant going, I'd say to find a few dishes you're good at, and a few sides, and stick to those for a good long time.  Then, as you establish your "street cred" slowly start expanding the menu.

Absolutely!  The menu would probably stay small. It would be more about quality than quantity for sure. People don't need 1000 things to choose from on a menu.

BTW, Did the Sharks win?   I caught it in the 3rd and I believe they were up 1 pt    4-3
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:46:35 AM by Shamb »

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
I love to do potatoes on the grill.
I got a idea one day and have been playing with it for some time now.  I love potatoes this way now, including different variations of the same recipe.

1. I use about 8 average taters, scrubbed  (any type of taters will work)
2. pull out about 2-2.5 feet of heavy duty aluminum foil.  (Reynolds HD twin pack from Costco is what I use)
3. cut them into about 1-1.5" cubes.  (skin on, another variation at bottom)
4. lay them length wise in the middle of foil
5. drizzle with olive oil
6. season with ??  mostly I use salt, pepper (McCormick pepper medley has wonderful flavor) and diced garlic
    --I've used mixed spices, Johnny Salt, Rosemary, sliced onions-- all turn out good
7. roll the sides together to form a seal length wise
8. roll up the ends, try to carefully push the taters into the middle
9. put on grill till the potatoes start to get soft    I use a gloved hand to feel the tenderness of the taters,  when done set them aside, keep warm

--Other option--

Peel the taters, and then cube them.  Follow recipe, and them dump them into a bowl and whip them up.  Make sure to get as much of the carmelization off the foil without peeling pieces of foil.  You won't ever have boiled taters for mashed potatoes after eating this recipe.  I don't.  They don't get a smokey flavor, but I love to cook almost everything on the grill whenever I can.  

Another tip -- is to put the taters on the grill when the coals are still turning gray, and I don't like to cook the meat when the coals are at their hottest.  But this is the best time to do the taters.  :thumbs:  When they are done, the coals are perfect for grilling.

This is something that you don't want to do ahead of time.  Cause the foil will turn the taters black and won't look good.  Best to prep this right before you head out to grill.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
I just remembered that I do sauteed onions and mushrooms too on the grill. 

Onions - use whatever you got, slice and sprinkle pepper between each layer, and salt top and drizzle olive oil on top.  Close up and grill.

Mushrooms - slice and put butter in with them and when I close these, I try to leave and pocket, so I can periodically shake them up while cooking.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »
we do something similar called "camp potatos"    tater's, grilled onions, garlic and bacon crumbled up with a little salt/pepper.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
We something similar called "hobo stew."  It's potatoes, carrots, onion, hamburger, green pepper, and whatever else you want.  This is what got me thinking.  But it's the best way to do taters on the grill.  And if you follow my mashed tater recipe, you'll love them. 

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
We something similar called "hobo stew."  It's potatoes, carrots, onion, hamburger, green pepper, and whatever else you want.  This is what got me thinking.  But it's the best way to do taters on the grill.  And if you follow my mashed tater recipe, you'll love them. 
I've done the same thing up at Calvin Crest ( a christian summer camp in California) and it was very good! same idea and similar name "Hobo Packs" very tasty especially after a long day of hiking or ect.
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
they showed how to make the bacon wrapped sausage on the today show this morning

bacon wrapped beef balls too!