Author Topic: Tis the season, BBQ anyone?  (Read 143676 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Tis the season, BBQ anyone?
« Reply #150 on: Jul 06, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »
I slow cook corned beef sometimes and cut it up in 1/4" slices, toss it in the fridge.

Next day when it's cold i'll take it out and cut it into 1/4" cubes with 1/4" cut russet potatoes, chipotle pepper, minced onions, garlic and crumbled bacon... it's awesome for breakfast.

Through an egg on top.. mmm hmm..

Aparently there's a bunch of people coming over today that i didn't know about... so i'll be cooking a bunch of smoked hot links as well.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Jul 07, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
Food turned out excellent! 

Trimmed Spares

Left over rib tips

2 racks of ribs, rib tips up top and smoked jalapeno poppers stuffed w/ a cajun cream cheese

Did some chicken thighs and smoked links

Finished product

Finished ribs, I didn't get any pic's of the brown sugar honey glaze but oh well

I ended up cooking them directly on the grill for 2 hr's then wrapped them for 1.5 hours and last opened them up for basting for another 1 hr. Turned out much more of a "competition consistency"  as you can see. Hit 'em with mesquite for nearly the entire time.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Breakfast BBQ Hash.

Recipe as follows,

2 medium sized russet potatoes cleaned and diced into 1/2 cubes
half an onion diced into small cubes
1 large or two medium sized left over bbq spare ribs  ( I substitute this for many things including corned beef, chicken or bacon )
cut into 1/2 cubes
2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
sprinkle of cumin, garlic salt, seasoning salt, old bay and lemon pepper.

First thing is to throw the cut potatoes into a 12" pan roughly 2"-3" deep and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and remove from pan into a strainer, set aside.

Throw the pan back on medium high heat and get the bottom of the pan coated with vegetable oil, wait until oil's hot and toss the potatoes back on.

Let the potatoes cook for about 5 min's to get a light brown color on all sides then toss in the cubed ribs (or whatever meat your substituting)

Wait until potatoes are almost completely cooked before adding cumin, garlic salt, seasoning salt, old bay and lemon pepper. Then add onions and garlic.
Cook until onions are sweated and garlic is a little brown (roughly 5-10 min's on medium heat)

Sometimes i'll add a chipotle pepper or bell peppers as well.

Enjoy!

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »
friend came over today and gave me 3 half racks. so we're gonna try out that Rub Co dry rub and see how it works.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
Alright well bare with me this was only my second time ever doing ribs but they actually turned out great. Only regret is burning them a little on one side (grill way too hot, want to try a lower temperature and longer time next) and I would like to marinate longer than 2 hours, gonna try over night next time for sure.

I used a combination of all of these. I rub em down with the Emeril stuff, then marinate them in the Stubbs pork marinade with a couple splashes of the Joe Caribe hot sauce. I baste them with the Stubb's bbq sauce while I grill em and then when they are done I add a light coat of the sweet and spicey to one side a few minutes before I pull them. For the corn I rubbed them down with butter and the Emeril and some garlic salt and wrap em in foil. I really have no idea what I am doing but cooked this for my house warming party I threw at my new apartment in Davis the other day and I should have bought another rack cuz everyone was begging for more. I thought it was excellent and the girlfriend liked them so much we did the same meal again for ourselves the next night, without burning them that time.  :gap:

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Jul 17, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
looks good!  what temp/time did you cook them at? 

From what i've found out thus far, if you want really good fall off the bone rib's then you do 1 hr on direct grill and 2 hrs wrapped in foil @ 250*

But if you want something a bit more firm, then you do 2 hr's direct and 1 hr 30 min's wrapped in foil...

Typically I open then for anywhere from 30 min's to 1 hr for basting at the end.. but you really don't have too.

I've got 3 half racks in the fridge with dry rub on them.. I was planning on cooking them today but I was too busy on the patio cover.... and i didn't want to be eating dinner at 9 o' clock.

What kind of BBQ are you cooking these on?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Jul 17, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
looks good!  what temp/time did you cook them at? 

From what i've found out thus far, if you want really good fall off the bone rib's then you do 1 hr on direct grill and 2 hrs wrapped in foil @ 250*

But if you want something a bit more firm, then you do 2 hr's direct and 1 hr 30 min's wrapped in foil...

Typically I open then for anywhere from 30 min's to 1 hr for basting at the end.. but you really don't have too.

I've got 3 half racks in the fridge with dry rub on them.. I was planning on cooking them today but I was too busy on the patio cover.... and i didn't want to be eating dinner at 9 o' clock.

What kind of BBQ are you cooking these on?

To be honest, I have no idea what temp it was at. The grill I am using is just your standard Coleman charcol grill. I have no way to gauge temperature. I am going to use a lot less coal next time, and try the foil method. I didn't do that. What is the best way to control/modify the temp on a charcol grill? Also is it better to only put the lid down at the begining, then leave it off for ribs? I am not using bad ass ribs or anything, just the $10 racks I can pickup at the corner Safeway. I'd say my grill time was only about 30-40 minutes max for these, I started them closed then about halfway through left the lid off. Like I said I just went for it, I really had no idea what I was doing haha.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Jul 18, 2010, 09:02:04 AM »
next time, put all your coals on one side of the grill, and put your meat on the other side.  get some hardwood chips (hickory or apple ar good on ribs) from the store.  They should be where the charcoal is.  put them on right before the meat.  Leave the lid on while cooking the meat so you'll get some smoke in the ribs.  And you don't need a huge fire, just a decent one on one side of the grill.  you can regulate temp w/ the intake and outlet vents on the grill (my coleman has them).  As to the quality, they don't really sell different types of pork ribs, just different cuts.  Judging from the size of yours, they look like babybacks, which cook faster than the typical spareribs. 
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Jul 18, 2010, 11:47:33 AM »
Thanks notyourmomslx450! Turtle point for ya. I will definitely try that next time. As for the chips, some people tell me to soak them a couple hours before tossing them on, others say use them dry. Any opinion on this? I have some chips but I haven't used them yet.

Yeah in case you can't tell I am a total rib n00b. I wasn't sure what to buy so I grabbed a rack that looked the meatiest. They were "pork loin back ribs" is what I think the package said. I remember looking at the baby back ribs and they seemed a lot smaller than what I got. Thanks for the info man.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Jul 18, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »
yea the center cut of the pig's rib cage is the spare ribs, the upper (much smaller section) is the baby backs. I buy nothing but spares because I like alot of meat. Go to Sam's they've got a great deal on 3 packs right now and they're HUGE!

You want to soak the wood chips for a couple days before hand so they burn alot slower and produce more smoke. Like notyourmomslx450 said, get the coals as far away from the meat as you can. This is basically cooking indirectly so they stay nice and tender/juicy. You'll really enjoy the wrapped ribs if you've never done them before. Makes the world of difference.

Also if you go to Bed Bath and Beyond there's a pretty cheap thermometer  that you can set in the grill to see what your temp's at.

practice makes perfect!  :)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Jul 18, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
You guys were talking about wrapping stuff in foil to cook, and since my grill is getting pretty nasty I opted to cook the last several times by placing the meat on foil.  Holy crap  :yikes:  Best damn chicken I've ever cooked!  I hate chicken breast cause it's so thick and is dry, but the breasts cooked all the way through, were tender, and when I cut into them it was almost like cutting into a sponge.  I could squeeze out juice with a light push!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Jul 19, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
yea the center cut of the pig's rib cage is the spare ribs, the upper (much smaller section) is the baby backs. I buy nothing but spares because I like alot of meat. Go to Sam's they've got a great deal on 3 packs right now and they're HUGE!

You want to soak the wood chips for a couple days before hand so they burn alot slower and produce more smoke. Like notyourmomslx450 said, get the coals as far away from the meat as you can. This is basically cooking indirectly so they stay nice and tender/juicy. You'll really enjoy the wrapped ribs if you've never done them before. Makes the world of difference.

Also if you go to Bed Bath and Beyond there's a pretty cheap thermometer  that you can set in the grill to see what your temp's at.

practice makes perfect!  :)

Thanks Shamb!! I think we have a BB&B in Davis so I will grab one of those. Thanks again for the advice!

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:56:55 PM »
Cooking up some spare ribs tonight. Here are a few of the ribs. Will post finished pics if i remember. This is my first time with spares.... Any ideas on cook times at around 250'?

:beerchug:
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Jul 20, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
read up top, if you want firm texture then 2 hr directly on the grill, 1.5 hr wrapped and 1 hr open for basting..

if you like fall off the bone then 1 hr directly on grill, 2 hr wrapped and 30 min to 1 hr open for basting.

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »
Well i cooked them on the grill for around 3 hours at 250. They were cheap frozen ribs from vons. Really thin.... Im not a fan of frozen meat but it was cheap so o well.....
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

Ancich

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Jul 20, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
the best bbq i have ever had in my life.... my uncles prime rib he smokes all day on Christmas, my mouth is watering just talking about it

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Jul 20, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »
word.  I smoked a prime rib at a cookoff one year.  It was excellent.  I've also done entire beef tenderloins on the smoker.  I only leave those kinds of meats on to 135 so they'll be nice and medium rare in the middle, with the nice crust and smoke on the outside.  I must say, though, it helps to still have connections in the beef industry, because there's no way in hell I'd pay the $90+ it'd take to get a nice prime tenderloin or rib primal just to throw it on the smoker for all the cookoff vultures.
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Jul 24, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »
Giving some of you a heads up there's gonna be a few local comps soon, one big one in Redding. Would be cool to maybe meet some people in person.

Here's the one for Live Oak

http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14002

And there's gonna be a big one in Redding

check out www.sundialmusicfestival.com

there also one this coming up Saturday?  or Sunday in Yuba City but i'm having a hard time getting ahold of the guy to get the specifics and I lost the flyer. I'll post it up when I get specifics.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Jul 24, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
As it draws closer, let me know if you'll for sure be there and I'll try my hardest to make it!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Jul 24, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
As it draws closer, let me know if you'll for sure be there and I'll try my hardest to make it!

Will do Nate

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
Finally got to do some real BBQ... Here the racks were entering their last hour, just before I began basting them. Did 2 hours directly on grill, 1 hour in foil and 1 hour foil opened and moppin with sauce and applejuice every 15mins or so. They came out great, no complaints from anyone lol.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Jul 26, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
How did the poppers turn out? 

rib's look good, what kind of rub/mop did you use?

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Jul 27, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
unfortunately the coals cooled off before the poppers were done...the ribs finished but I had to finish the poppers off in the oven....still came out really good with a tad bit of smokey flavor. For rub I just use about 1:1 emerils essence and brown sugar. Sprayed them down with applejuice occasionally and then basted with plain ol Stubbs original. I really wanted to try your DP sauce but was short on time.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Jul 28, 2010, 06:53:26 PM »
Yea the DP sauce is awesome, sweet with a touch of heat. I just finished off my last bottle the other day so I need to make some more.

I was told you don't want to hit 'em with applejuice until around the 2 hr mark or else your just washing off the rub. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend..

Plan on doing some more spares all trimmed up. Gonna do another practice run.... i'll post pics as usual.

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »
w/ the apple juice, it's fine to mist them.  If I use any juice, I just put it in a spray bottle and spritz the ribs to "moisten" them, without drenching them.  that way you don't lose the rub.
-Jason

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
yea that's how I do it as well, it's amazing how dry they may look but once you wrap 'em in foil it's filled w/ liquid within 20 min's

Has anyone tried TheRubCo's dry rub's yet?   I'm gonna try their competition style on my rib's tomorrow. I've also got some Santa Maria that I haven't figured out what i'm gonna use it on yet.

Tomorrow i'll be heading to do some grocery shopping, I plan on finally getting all the ingredients to make that sauce that you posted notyourmomslx450

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Jul 29, 2010, 11:10:47 AM »
god im sooooooo Hungry

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Jul 30, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
Guess what i'm making today?

:yumyum:

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Jul 30, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
rib's are going on their first hour, hitting them with ton's of mesquit smoke @ 250*

made notyourmomslx450's glaze a few minutes ago, waited for it to get back to room temp and tasted... MMM!

I also individually tasted all the ingredients that i had never worked with before like the Sake :cheers: and the seasame oil..... wow! that seasame oil has a very nutty flavor which I REALLY liked... all combined I tasted it and it's amazing.. I can't wait to get it on the rib's.

I'll probably baste for an hour on this one just to make sure all that glaze get's saturated into the pork.

I'll post pic's when it's all said and done.

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Jul 30, 2010, 04:43:42 PM »
I also really like the sesame oil.  I have a recipe for a cold cucumber salad that uses that as well, and really goes nicely.  I'll try to find it real quick.
-Jason