Author Topic: I got my 84 solid front gusseid and cleaned now how do i shim for new bearings ?  (Read 2039 times)

joeycool00

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 315
  • Member since Mar '10
  • 3rd f.a.s.t yes i'm a Jar Head!and proud of it
    • View Profile
well here is the 84 front diff for my 91 runner  :thumbs:  all i need is paint and my high steer and knuckle bearing, can some one explain how to shim the bearings please, all the help is appreciated  :beer:
life is hard, but it is harder if your stupid!
Love wheeling in  central washington state, wouldn't have it any other way!

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
does anybody know im curious i always just use factory shims but im offroad only

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Here is the proper way to do it;

http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/1985_toyota_4wd_front_axle_FSM.pdf

But most people do not have access to the SST (special service tool) so we sort of wing it.

Start off with a thin and thick shim on the bottom and top. Grease the bearings, install the knuckle on the housing with the bottom cap and steering arm, cone washers and washers. Torque to spec, 71 ftlbs if I remember right. Using a pull scale check the pre-load on the trunion bearings. Should not be over 13.5 start pull pounds. If you need more start pounds, remove the thin shim, if you need less add a thin shim. Leave the bottom alone and do the adjusting on the top. The bottom cap and shims center the knuckle on the ball.

Read over the link I gave you a couple of times to better understand what I wrote.

I hope you did not warp the housing when you weled that truss on there. They warp real easy.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
thanks for the info if he welded in shorts bursts he should be ok i hope he didnt just go at it

joeycool00 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 315
  • Member since Mar '10
  • 3rd f.a.s.t yes i'm a Jar Head!and proud of it
    • View Profile
dont worry guys Got my tacks in several places and finished with 3 inch intervals. not my first rodeo  :therethere:
life is hard, but it is harder if your stupid!
Love wheeling in  central washington state, wouldn't have it any other way!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
thanks for the info if he welded in shorts bursts he should be ok i hope he didnt just go at it
I will say yes and no to that. If he had to fill gaps, that can cause it to warp. You weld up a gap the weld is red hot. As it cools, it contracts and pulls something has to move and it is usually the housing. If the gusset is tight to the housing, no gaps he is good to go. If there are gaps that have been filled, he may have a problem.

This was pointed out to me buy a top-notch fabricator who knows his stuff and is hired by many large companies to build machinery for them.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity